Author Topic: Learning to crimp -- is this right?  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Back2VoltsTopic starter

• Supporter
Learning to crimp -- is this right?
« on: March 22, 2017, 05:20:39 am »
So I just got an AMP crimp tool with die AMP 58448-2.   I discussed in the other thread the problem with the limit/positioner...    I am moving on and trying to learn how to crimp small open barrels.

I have started with some XH2.54 females.  These things are so small that it is a real challenge positioning them in the tool.   I decided to partially close the insulation ears to facilitate positioning.   I was able to crimp a few, but I am not sure they are right.  I was expecting to see the open barrel closing over the insulation as a tube, but that is not what I am getting.   

Is the crimp in the pictures properly done ?

As always, I will appreciate comments and advice

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
Re: Learning to crimp -- is this right?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 05:26:10 am »
Need some try before get nice crimps, but is not that hard

The following users thanked this post: ralphrmartin

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 06:46:35 am »
That's a quite good video demonstration; I love the Irish accent that makes teeth sound like "teat" :) After all, Guinness is mother's milk.

Back2Volts: it looks like your insulation crimps are getting crushed. They should be formed into a smooth "B" shape over the insulation, holding it firm without cutting it. It looks like the Amplimite dies may not be compatible with JST contacts.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 06:49:18 am »
Crimp dies are made for specific contacts - you can't just throw any old contact in. Your crimper will not work for these.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 07:44:12 am »
Is the crimp in the pictures properly done ?

No. Your crimp tool has bent back and ruined the part of the crimp which is supposed to grip the insulation to support the wire, so you should check carefully whether the tool is the right one for those specific crimps.

Also, it's hard to tell from the photo, but I think you have stripped the wire back a bit too far; the bare strands of wire should just protrude from the part that's folded over to clamp it and make the connection, but shouldn't extend to anywhere it can interfere with the contact with the mating pin. The amount of bare copper that should be exposed is often less than you might think.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 04:47:57 am »
Definitely not right. The insulation crimp on XH connectors should be the same form as the conductor crimp, but just tight enough to bite into the insulation a little. Too much bite will nick the wire and weaken it severely.

Offline radar_macgyver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 05:52:01 am »
As Monkeh said, this is the wrong crimp tool for these connectors/contacts.

Here's a thread about the JST-XH crimp tools. I've had good luck with the 'Engineer' brand crimper with other types of JST contacts, I haven't used XH series myself.

Offline Back2VoltsTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 06:13:19 pm »
Thank you guys.    I suspected it was improper crimping, that is why I asked.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf