Author Topic: LED backlight module for LCD. Where to buy?  (Read 2772 times)

Offline trondeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
LED backlight module for LCD. Where to buy?
« on: September 15, 2016, 03:52:32 pm »
Hi, I am searching on aliexpress and ebay for LED backlight modules suitable for small LCD's. Since I can't find any, I assume I don't use the correct description.  I can also use just the reflecting / diffusing film, but can't find that either :-//

At the moment I have no access to scrap displays that could be recycled into something useful.

One option can be to butcher a complete display but that is a waste, even if cheap I think. Any suggestions?

Offline analogix

• Regular Contributor
Re: LED backlight module for LCD. Where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 04:26:18 pm »
Hello fellow countryman  ;)
I just came across this thread, so I hope it's still relevant despite its age...

I don't think you can buy LED backlights for LCD displays because (in my experience at least) if you remove the LCD display itself from its PCB (so you can access the backlight and replace it if you have a new one), when you put the display back you'll never be able to get the contacts to touch properly. I think they use some sort of vacuum method in the factories to assemble them.

These days, LCD displays are so cheap it's not even worth messing around with this (I've asked about the same thing as you before coming to this conclusion). I've bought several displays (with LCD backlights) from Eastrising/BuyDisplay.com in China (they also have an eBay store). Seems like high quality displays in a variety of different sizes and differently coloured LED backlights. Oh, they also have downloadable datasheets with pinouts etc which is useful when replacing an existing one.

Offline dorin

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 08:04:50 am »
It depends on what type of LCD we are talking about, if it's a monochrome and do not need a super bright backlight you can search for electroluminescent (EL) backlights. They do not have discrete LED's with a diffuser, instead they consist of a large thin LED sheet emitting from the whole surface.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-9x-lcd-backlight-kit-white-diy.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Super-Brightness-10X10CM-El-panel-electroluminescent-BackLight-panel-Led-Board-Display-with-2AA-DC-3V-Inverter/32771462719.html
http://www.banggood.com/12V-A5-EL-Panel-Electroluminescent-Cuttable-Light-With-Inverter-Paper-Neon-Sheet-p-1112330.html

Offline trondeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 09:49:22 pm »
Thanks for the answers,
Yes EL can be an option on some displays. Will look into them.

A normal 16x2 dot matrix dispaly has in fact a separate LED backlighter that is easy to remove. Just take off the metal bezel and de-solder the LED. Since they are a separate component, somebody must be selling them. Can't just find any. Blue / white 1602 dispalys are dirt-cheap, so it is possible to butcher them for the white backlighter.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 12:57:11 am »
I've bought displays for under $2 shipped for the 16x2 type. I think you'd have a hard time finding the backlight for less than that.

If you need something a bit larger, I got one of these https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-9x-lcd-backlight-kit-green-diy.html that I put into my old Spektrum transmitter, it's made of plastic and could probably be trimmed to fit a smaller display.

You may also be able to fabricate something yourself out of a sheet of acrylic. Polish the edges and apply foil tape, glue SMD chip LEDs to one edge.

Offline analogix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 04:48:46 am »
A normal 16x2 dot matrix dispaly has in fact a separate LED backlighter that is easy to remove. Just take off the metal bezel and de-solder the LED.

Yes, they can be easily removed, but in case someone reading thinks the opposite is true it isn't (in my experience at least): if you remove the metal bezel and lift up the LCD unit you'll have a hard time putting it back on. It seems that no matter how hard you try you're going to get contact problems.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf