Author Topic: Longevity of modern equipment/parts?  (Read 1086 times)

Offline KuroTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Longevity of modern equipment/parts?
« on: March 16, 2017, 02:58:06 pm »
As I was looking at a low cost decent soldering station for a beginner/kid, I rewatched some of Dave's video's. Including his teardown of his JBC. In it he mentions his old Hakko and Pace analog stations are still going strong after decades, but he's not so sure about how long his new JBC will last. He also mentions the LCD as one thing that might not age well.

So I got curious and tried googling about LCD longevity but didn't find much. In general, I'm now very curious about how long one may expect modern electronic gear to last.

Are there any resources by people who investigated this I might look at? Any 'rules of thumb' that give a good idea, like 'lcd's don't last very long, maybe 15 years' or something like that?

I always figured electronics would almost outlive me. Bar some leaking caps. I found an old Spectrum (Sinclair microcomputer) that worked perfectly a few years ago, and it wasn't really all that well built. So what's so 'bad' about modern gear that makes Dave doubt it will last as long as the 'good old stuff'?  >:D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 02:59:53 pm by Kuro »
The universe is made of protons, neutrons, electrons and morons - March for Science 2017

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf