Author Topic: Looking for a better utility knife  (Read 3589 times)

Online ataradovTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Looking for a better utility knife
« on: January 25, 2016, 06:31:26 am »
I'm looking for a utility knife that takes blades like shown below. I want to find one that has the blade attached firmly. Most (all) hardware store type knives have lots of wiggle in the blade, which makes them unusable for reasonably fine work.

I don't mind if replacing the blade is not done by a slider, but requires a few screws.

Any recommendations?
Alex

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking for a better utility knife
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 07:15:17 am »
Over here we call them stanley knives, as they were originally made by an American company 'The Stanley Works'.   An all metal fixed blade genuine Stanley knife is hard to beat though it helps considerably if you use genuine blades (many of the cheap clone blades are significantly thinner) and shim the blade holder with thin waxed (or lightly oiled) card so there is absolutely no slop.  An older used one in good condition may be preferable to what's found new in the big box DIY stores.

Offline TechItApart

• Contributor
  • EE Student - Sheffield UK
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 08:32:17 pm »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 02:43:40 am »
I have one of these Milwaukee folding knives, I like it better than the Stanley one in general but in terms of blade wiggle it is not any better than Stanley. For fine work/PCB I use an Olfa snap-off knife

http://www.olfa.com/products-snap-off-blade-utility-knives/
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 02:50:57 am »
Real Stanley knives are about as good for wiggle as you're likely to get. Fixed rather than retracting may be less wiggly.

If you want something for fine work, invest in www.amazon.com/dp/B00002X201 or something similar.

steverino

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 02:59:05 am »
If I remember correctly,  a drywall knife will use that blade and it won't wobble.  The blade does not retract however.  Home Depot (US) use to carry them in the drywall tool section. 

edit..  Here it is...

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 03:15:25 am by steverino »

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 03:34:53 am »
unusable for reasonably fine work.

Wrong tool for the job surely.  Fine work = scalpel / x-acto knife style.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline Lukas

• Frequent Contributor
    • carrotIndustries.net
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 09:04:18 am »
I can really recommend this one: http://www.gerbergear.com/Activity/Work/Knives/EAB-Pocket-Knife_22-41830 Doesn't wobble and looks kinda nice.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 09:40:49 am »
I either use a scalpel for fine stuff or an old kitchen knife for bigger things.

Stanley's are for carpets and plasterboard.

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 04:25:13 pm »
I can really recommend this one: ... Doesn't wobble and looks kinda nice.

Well, I ordered Milwaukee one (along with some other stuff) from Amazon. And one of the things in my cart was an Add-on item, so I had to reach certain total price limit. I was a bit short, so I looked around what else looks nice. And I added exactly this knife :)
Alex

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 07:20:50 pm »
Stanley's are for carpets and plasterboard.
Good for leather, too. Anywhere you need to push the entire blade through a thick and stiff material.

But it's not a huge amount of jobs that can't be done as well or better with a $5.00 2-3" pocket knife. At least at a bench where you can resharpen when needed. I used to buy razor and exacto blades in bulk; 100 packs. Then one day I ran out and resharpened an exacto. Huh, whadya, know, it worked and was faster than changing the blade.

It's been many years since I had a boxcutter. I still use an exacto on occasion. But there are definitely a huge variety of bladed tools for any job which are purposely shaped for specific jobs and will last a lifetime. Instead of buying replacement blades for each one, you can keep a basic set of tools for shaping/sharpening them all. With a grinder and/or belt sander you can modify or make tools for specific jobs, even.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 07:30:31 pm by KL27x »

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 09:45:46 pm »
I can really recommend this one:
That Gerber knife is basically what I was looking for.

Now there is a question. It comes with a blade that is about 2 times thicker than your typical hardware store blades. I can imagine any other knife will perform well with this type of blade. How do I identify them? As far as I can see, thickness is never specified, it is always marketing BS like "Heavy Duty" and such.
Alex

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf