Author Topic: looking or a good ESD mat for my bench.  (Read 4835 times)

Offline LektroiDTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • If it didn't explode, I'm happy.
    • Music here
looking or a good ESD mat for my bench.
« on: October 22, 2014, 06:54:35 pm »
My bench is 750mm x 1200mm, and I was wondering if this ESD mat was a good solution:

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1485218.pdf

600mm depth is ok for me, as it doesn't need to go right to the back of the bench, as the test gear will sit partially on top of it anyway.

It is rated at 180ºC temperature resistance. Would this mean my rework station which I usually set to around 300ºC would burn straight through it?

The price is good for me, I could push to a little more to get a better quality mat if there's something better out there...

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: looking or a good ESD mat for my bench.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 03:21:46 am »
Likely as it's a 2 layer rubber type, but I'd contact Farnell and check to see if this one really is rated for use with soldering irons before purchasing (I think Multicomp is a Farnell brand), as it's not clear IMHO.

FWIW, most datasheets for 2 layer rubber mats have a "withstands heat from hot soldering irons and molten solder" type of statement rather than an actual temperature value. On the rare occasion I do see temperatures, it's usually higher, and may be rated with a time constraint (i.e. 600F/315C for 10 seconds).

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 05:56:07 am »
My bench is 750mm x 1200mm, and I was wondering if this ESD mat was a good solution:

600mm depth is ok for me, as it doesn't need to go right to the back of the bench, as the test gear will sit partially on top of it anyway.

It is rated at 180ºC temperature resistance. Would this mean my rework station which I usually set to around 300ºC would burn straight through it?
I have such a mat. The quality is OK. I would have liked a mat with a harder top layer better but I choose to spend less money.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Music here
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 10:01:18 am »

I have such a mat. The quality is OK. I would have liked a mat with a harder top layer better but I choose to spend less money.

What is the top layer like? Is this a 'wipe cean' type, or material like the old mouse mats?

I was also looking at this one http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1391028.pdf

Which would be best?

Offline wiss

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 11:22:16 am »
I have these, one at work and one at home:
https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~se_sv/elfa/init.do?item=80-098-28&toc=18875

I have yet to make a permanent mark at solder-temp (~ 390 degC).

I had a cheaper (199 SEK inkl VAT vs 396 + VAT)  "computer"-version before, it melted away immediately from solder-drops.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 11:48:51 am »

What is the top layer like? Is this a 'wipe cean' type, or material like the old mouse mats?
The rubber mat is also easy to clean but easier to leave marks on from hot components or a soldering iron. Looking at the temperature range the mat with the vinyl top looks worse than the rubber mat.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 03:05:02 pm »
Looking at the temperature range the mat with the vinyl top looks worse than the rubber mat.
If you're soldering on it, you definitely want to pass on vinyl. They melt the instant molten solder or a hot iron tip comes in contact with it.

Offline Tandy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Darren Grant from Tandy, UK.
    • Tandy
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 03:38:29 pm »
(I think Multicomp is a Farnell brand)

Multicomp is a name used by Farnell for products that have multiple sources. For example if you order some diodes you will be sent diodes from the cheapest available source at the time.
For more info on Tandy try these links Tandy History EEVBlog Thread & Official Tandy Website

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 04:02:08 pm »
I've had a rummage and found a pile of 1200mm x 600mm textured rubber ESD safe mats. They are black and about 1.2mm thick, 4 press studs in the corners. I've just prodded a soldering iron at 360 degrees into them and they weren't showing any sign of distress after 10 seconds.

They were in these kits, but a few were returned because they had 2 bench mats in them instead of a bench and a floor mat:
http://uk.farnell.com/tba-electro-conductive-products/kit0001/workstation-kit/dp/178422?Ntt=178422

First few orders get the wrist strap that came with each kit!

£30 each mat including shipping in the UK? Have to be £35 to the EU because the 600mm dimension makes it a large parcel.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 04:13:55 pm by TopLoser »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 04:41:21 pm »
OP, don't think, jump on ^^^^.  ;D

• Frequent Contributor
    • Music here
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 06:21:55 pm »
I've had a rummage and found a pile of 1200mm x 600mm textured rubber ESD safe mats. They are black and about 1.2mm thick, 4 press studs in the corners. I've just prodded a soldering iron at 360 degrees into them and they weren't showing any sign of distress after 10 seconds.

They were in these kits, but a few were returned because they had 2 bench mats in them instead of a bench and a floor mat:
http://uk.farnell.com/tba-electro-conductive-products/kit0001/workstation-kit/dp/178422?Ntt=178422

First few orders get the wrist strap that came with each kit!

£30 each mat including shipping in the UK? Have to be £35 to the EU because the 600mm dimension makes it a large parcel.

I'll take one... PM on its way...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf