Author Topic: Magnetic stripe/card reader/writer?  (Read 8843 times)

Offline codered11343Topic starter

Magnetic stripe/card reader/writer?
« on: July 02, 2014, 02:48:52 pm »
Hi,

I just wanted to know if anyone had used or has any exprence with magnetic stripe reader/writers? Specifically the sup $200 ones that you can find on eBay.

I have been thinking about getting one for some time now, but I have never used one and just want to get other peoples take on them.

What I want to use it for is to make copies of paper magnetic cards. The type that you might get from a parking garage for example.

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
Re: Magnetic stripe/card reader/writer?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 09:36:07 am »
Sub-$200 ones?? Are they significantly better than this $45 one?
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline Hardcorefs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 08:02:40 am »

Er yep,
 Because that link is for a READER, good luck on getting it to be a writer.

Expect to pay about $5-10US not including shipping… for a multi format reader, writers are more expensive depending on the formats.

So…

1. Identify the FORMATS you want to read/write
2. Identify suitable product.

HC

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 11:49:46 am »
Er yep,
 Because that link is for a READER, good luck on getting it to be a writer.
Right. :palm:
SparkFun used to carry a writer; I just searched, found that, and thought it was what I was looking for.
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline dfmischler

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 01:00:56 pm »
What I want to use it for is to make copies of paper magnetic cards. The type that you might get from a parking garage for example.
About 30 years ago I wrote some software for devices that used Diebold banking-class motorized magstripe reader/writers.  I later worked for a company who used a variety of paper and plastic magnetic tickets and cards (e.g. NYC MTA, Washington Metro, BART, London Underground, something in Brisbane, Singapore, etc.).  I even think they did a parking lot system at one point.  So I have a general understanding of the recording methods, what might/should go on a stripe, etc.

Beware that paper parking/transit tickets may not use media of the same magnetic coercivity as ABA (ISO/IEC 7811-2) magstripes.  Also, while ABA magstripes are F2F encoded there are also MFM encoded stripes out there for purposes that do not need interchange.  Track positions from the edge of the card can also be varied.  And there are other encoding tricks that can make it difficult for off the shelf equipment to read/modify/write proprietary stripe formats.

An article on attempting to reverse engineer the NYC MetroCard appeared in "2600: The Hacker Quarterly" some years ago, and this ancient web page seems to be based on that article.  There is certainly more out there about attempting to hack the MetroCard and other magstripe card/ticket systems.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 10:53:55 pm by dfmischler »

Offline Ailsapf

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 09:50:38 am »
Hi,

I just wanted to know if anyone had used or has any exprence with magnetic stripe reader/writers? Specifically the sup c ones that you can find on eBay.

I have been thinking about getting one for some time now, but I have never used one and just want to get other peoples take on them.

Hi, you can go to Syncotek.com to have a look, ask for their online service, it is a wholesaler for magnetic card reader writer in China, i think the price maybe more less than $200, hope this helps!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 10:00:26 am by Ailsapf »

Offline Ailsapf

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 10:01:02 am »
I update the link, the link is updated on the site.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf