Author Topic: Metcal HCT2-200 -- Any Good?  (Read 2123 times)

Offline blueskullTopic starter

• Supporter
  • !
  • BA7LKP
Metcal HCT2-200 -- Any Good?
« on: June 26, 2018, 06:02:28 pm »
I'm looking for a slim and ergonomic supplement to my Quick 957DW. As I'm looking for a solution, I found out the HCT2-120 has got a new successor, this time with a 200W heater.

I need an ergonomic unit that handles small parts (<=5mm*5mm QFN max, mostly <=4mm*4mm WLCSP chips). I have a pre-heater.

Has anyone had any experience with this thing?

Budget is not super tight, but still not enough for a JBC complete set.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: Metcal HCT2-200 -- Any Good?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 08:25:02 pm »
The 200W model is the 120W's replacement and is rather new, so not seeing any real reviews on it. More importantly, I didn't see it's intended applications to include BGA (just low density boards using 1206 passives and small leaded IC packages such as SOIC or TQFP per Metcal's sales sheet) :-//

FWIW however, I'd be concerned about it's build quality (HCT-900 has a poor reliability record if you search the forum).

I'd go with a Quick TR1100 instead. Nicer UI and ~$100 less shipped for the 110V model.  :-+

Specs:
  • Power output = 180W
  • Airflow = 1.5 - 7 lpm
  • Noise = 55dB max
  • Comes with 6 nozzles.
There's a thread on it's bigger brother (TR1300) and youtube videos on both (same UI, just smaller handles, which are supposed to be interchangeable as I understand it). It's also rated for BGA and you're already familiar with Quick's products and other owners' experiences with their products.

One strange bit though, I'm still not seeing it listed on Quick's US or global sites despite the videos and it being available on the market.

The following users thanked this post: KG7AMV, blueskull

Offline KG7AMV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Rhine_Labs
    • My Personal Blog
Re: Metcal HCT2-200 -- Any Good?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 06:13:42 pm »
Visual of the Quick TR1100 handle and a Hakko FM-2027 for reference. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf