Author Topic: Metcal in EU  (Read 4030 times)

Offline cs.dkTopic starter

• Supporter
Metcal in EU
« on: January 13, 2017, 05:02:41 am »
Where do you buy Metcal in EU? It seems like solder connections only ship inside UK.. And with Conro you have to ask for a price.
I've been looking at a MX-5210. It should be 80W vs. 40W on the MX-500.

So where to get it?

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
Re: Metcal in EU
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 05:14:40 am »
Where do you buy Metcal in EU? It seems like solder connections only ship inside UK.. And with Conro you have to ask for a price.
I've been looking at a MX-5210. It should be 80W vs. 40W on the MX-500.

So where to get it?

Farnell, for a start.

The MX-5210 is 80W because it drives both ports simultaneously - performance on a single channel is unchanged.

Don't think 40W is underpowered. It's really, really not.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 06:38:50 am »

Hard to believe, but very very true. I have a 5210, and it has a bar graph, so you can have an idea of power flow.

When powering up a cartridge from cold, the graph usually saturates around 60-70% for a 700-series cartridge (even the large ones like the hoof or the 5mm chisel). Even the massive desoldering heads don't pull more than 70-80%. So assuming this is linear, with 40W, you'll get cold-to-700F in 6sec instead of 5s?

Then, once hot, forget it. Putting the full-size hoof tip on a solid piece of metal with lots of solder to make contact, you'll peak at 40-50%. And a square cm2 solder blob on that solid piece of metal will go cold>liquid in a couple of seconds.

So... 40W should do just fine. It'll still be ridiculously fast.

One thing to note is that the price of the old 5000 or the new 500 are not that much lower than the 5200.

Also note that the new Metcal supplies use switching power supplies, so you can use US-bought units anywhere. Might be worth importing if the import duties make sense (also, Metcal sells refurbished units in the US at a good price - contact them for that).

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 11:16:45 am »

The MX-5210 is 80W because it drives both ports simultaneously - performance on a single channel is unchanged.

So it's not 80W when used in single channel mode? I have to solder some 10 mm2 wires to solarpanels. My Weller WHS40 is hopeless - It goes better with a chinese 75W like this one; http://yihua-soldering.com/product-1-3-3-hot-air-rework-station-en/147664

EDIT: Seems to be 80W;
Quote from: Metcal.com
80 Watts max. Per channel at 22°C (when operated with two hand-pieces dynamically, the 80 watts output power is is shared based on demand)

One thing to note is that the price of the old 5000 or the new 500 are not that much lower than the 5200.

The MX-5210 is ~£470 + VAT. MX-510S is £335 , so not a big difference, taken their hopefully long lifetime in the calculation.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 11:29:42 am by cs.dk »

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 11:35:36 am »
Anyone got experience with http://www.weidinger.eu ?

They seem to have a good price on Metcals.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 04:47:10 pm »

So it's not 80W when used in single channel mode? I have to solder some 10 mm2 wires to solarpanels. My Weller WHS40 is hopeless - It goes better with a chinese 75W like this one; http://yihua-soldering.com/product-1-3-3-hot-air-rework-station-en/147664

EDIT: Seems to be 80W;
Quote from: Metcal.com
80 Watts max. Per channel at 22°C (when operated with two hand-pieces dynamically, the 80 watts output power is is shared based on demand)

As I recall, the majority of tips will not actually accept that much power - that's why they put together a new handpiece and special tips with two connections.

Offline Frost

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 05:42:28 pm »
Anyone got experience with http://www.weidinger.eu ?

Yes, they ship fast and also to home addresses.
I have bought all of my JBC stuff from them.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 07:26:39 pm »

EDIT: Seems to be 80W
Its how the power is delivered, rather than heating a huge tip right up to the handpiece and then trying to deliver that through to a small point on the tip as old fashioned irons do, with curie point technology all the power going into the joint is delivered right to the tip where it contacts the joint. The "40W" supply with a tip that provides good contact to the joint will have no problem soldering 10mm2 cable, I've regularly soldered to copper sheetmetal directly.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 08:19:01 pm »
Also look at Thermaltronics, which are tip-compatible
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 07:17:04 pm »
Aren't they now called Oki Metcal?

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 10:13:48 am »
I've ordered from https://europe.okinternational.com/ - That page does not show up in google, if the search term is Metcal EU or similar. I found it by a coincidence.

660€ for a MX-5210 and some cartridges/tips. Thats not to bad.
Hope they will send it tomorrow. :-+

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 04:52:21 am »
I forgot to update this..

I have recieved my MX-5210. So far, i am really impressed :-+ :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf