Author Topic: Metcal MX500AV vs JBC CD-1BE  (Read 4369 times)

Offline TrevsetTopic starter

• Contributor
Metcal MX500AV vs JBC CD-1BE
« on: February 01, 2017, 04:39:39 pm »
Hi everyone. I am about to pull the trigger on a new soldering station and would just like everyone's opinion on which of these stations to get.  I am horrible at making decisions, lol.  I don't really mind having to change the tips on the Metcal for temp. Adjustment.  I do like the fact that with the Metcal there will never be a need for calibration as you just replace the tip.  The JBC is a bit less expensive but I also like the two ports on the Metcal for adding tweezers or a desoldering gun later on.  Please give me your opinions to help me out in making this decision. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: Metcal MX500AV vs JBC CD-1BE
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 10:21:34 pm »
I have the Metcal MX-500 II with RM-3E and Talon tweezers.  I have no experience with JBC so my suggestion is the Metcal.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline yngndrw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 11:50:07 pm »
Haven't used a JBC soldering station but I do have a Metcal MX-5200 with the MX-H1-AV handle and would certainly recommend it.

I find myself using a single tip shape and temperature for all soldering tasks, the STTC-126. From large wires to through hole and surface mount soldering, this tip works great even when there's a large ground plane. (I didn't even add thermal relief to ground plane pads on my last PCB and was able to solder it fine.)

I've also noticed that the point of the tip is perfectly usable when soldering, something which I wasn't able to use with my last Weller soldering station.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 11:59:31 pm by yngndrw »

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 06:46:00 pm »
I went ahead and ordered the MX-5200. I also got the STTC-126 tip based on your recommendations. I'll post back after I receive it and try it out.  Thank you all for all your help during my decision making!

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 07:59:35 pm »
The MX-5200 is great. I think you'll be very happy with it.

The STTC-126 is a great jack-of-all-trades and I understand how people can work with just that one tip. I have one, but I still reach for my chisels for most work. The good thing with Metcal is that the most common tips are easily available for a lot less than retail on EBay, so you can buy a selection for a reasonable amount of money.

I ended up with a selection of 3 chisels, 2 hoofs and the 126, all in the 1/7 series. I also picked up the mid-size chisel in the 0/6 series and 5 series for low temps. I use the 0/6 on occasion, the 5 never.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 08:42:17 pm »
The MX-5200 is great. I think you'll be very happy with it.

The STTC-126 is a great jack-of-all-trades and I understand how people can work with just that one tip. I have one, but I still reach for my chisels for most work. The good thing with Metcal is that the most common tips are easily available for a lot less than retail on EBay, so you can buy a selection for a reasonable amount of money.

I ended up with a selection of 3 chisels, 2 hoofs and the 126, all in the 1/7 series. I also picked up the mid-size chisel in the 0/6 series and 5 series for low temps. I use the 0/6 on occasion, the 5 never.

Thanks for the reply, I definitely intend on getting a few chisel tips of various sizes.  I will look on eBay.  I'll probably be sticking to mostly the 1/7 series but will probably get at least one 600 degree tip.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 11:52:33 pm »
Trevset, I use the 600 tips almost exclusively and have had no issues.  I also use lead solder.  I have some lead free and an 800 tip to go with it.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 12:42:53 am »
Thanks GreyWoolfe, I did get the STTC-126 but knowing that I'll be looking for chisel tips on eBay that are 600 degrees.  Do you have any recommendations for a couple chisel tips that are good for general PCB work?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 08:28:40 pm »
Thanks GreyWoolfe, I did get the STTC-126 but knowing that I'll be looking for chisel tips on eBay that are 600 degrees.  Do you have any recommendations for a couple chisel tips that are good for general PCB work?

I have a range from .8 to 2.4mm.  If you just want to get a couple, get a 1.2 and a 2.4mm.  You can solder some larger SMT passives up through PTH with the 1.2 and solder larger wires and pads with the 2.4.  Alternatively, get .8, 1.6 and 2.4 for added flexibility.  Add a hoof tip for drag soldering and you're in like Flynn.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 11:39:50 pm »
As GreyWoolfe said, there is a whole range. See what's popular on EBay (search for Metcal STTC).
I have:
* STTC-138 (1.5mm): General work, including SMD and through-hole.
* STTC-136 (2.5mm): Bigger. Good for through-hole (but the 138 works great for that too). Large gauge wires.
* STTC-117 (5mm): The big guy. Rarely used.

In between those, you'll also find:
* STTC-x25 (1mm): good for fine-tip SMD, maybe redundant with the x26 (conical hook)
* STTC-x37 (1.8mm): possibly the best size for through-hole.

So there is the whole range. The STTC-xxxP are the "stubby" ones (short). Even lower thermal mass. Honestly not sure why one would get these. Then they have some super-long ones.

A quick look on EBay for used STTC (probably representative of what people use on production lines) reveals that the most popular are:
136 (2.5mm chisel), 145 (conical), 126 (conical hook)

I have had good luck on EBay buying "seller refurbished" ones (check seller rating). The Metcal tips are indestructible, so, properly replated, they can last for a very long time.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 11:47:55 pm by LaurentR »

Offline yngndrw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 01:45:24 am »
So there is the whole range. The STTC-xxxP are the "stubby" ones (short). Even lower thermal mass. Honestly not sure why one would get these. Then they have some super-long ones.
The P ones are meant to be optimised for thermal conductivity. They are meant to be shorter in an attempt to get the business end as close to the heated part as possible. I only have one of these, the STCC-138P (The short 1.5mm chisel) - Although I've never needed to use it. Would probably be useful for soldering large cables into connectors - XT60 / XT90 connectors maybe ?

Didn't realise there were refurbished ones on Ebay, thanks for the heads up.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf