Author Topic: Microscope for decapped ICs  (Read 10267 times)

Offline caiusTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Caius Arcade Repairs & Engineering
Microscope for decapped ICs
« on: July 15, 2015, 02:13:26 pm »
Hi all, I have some decapped ICs and the chance to do more (actually I don't used nitric acid but a "burning" method) but I'm not able to take magnified HI-RES pictures.I'm not into microscope market so I was wondering if there are some not expensive models suitable for my purpose.Thanks in advance.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: Microscope for decapped ICs
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 02:14:46 pm »
It depends what type of ICs and how much detail you want. Individual transistors of early (~10um) process are visible with a magnifying glass, whereas a light microscope won't be able to see much of anything on those made in a sub-micron process as the features are far smaller than the wavelength of light.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 03:26:42 pm »
For amusement, I posted some pictures of late 70s Burr-Brown thick film hybrids. Definitely not sub-micron!
https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2015/07/07/images-of-late-70s-burr-brown-thick-film-hybrid-ics/
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 02:43:36 am »
I'm not into microscope market so I was wondering if there are some not expensive models suitable for my purpose.Thanks in advance.

Similar to my situation. I found the search term 'metalurgical microscope' is a help. It means microscopes intended for reflected light use, inspecting opaque surfaces.
My Olympus BHM adventures here: http://everist.org/NobLog/20150510_Olympus_bhm.htm
I still haven't got a camera adapted well to the microscope, but that's not an intrinsic problem, just me getting sidetracked as usual.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 02:47:26 am »
My Olympus BHM adventures here: http://everist.org/NobLog/20150510_Olympus_bhm.htm
I still haven't got a camera adapted well to the microscope, but that's not an intrinsic problem, just me getting sidetracked as usual.

I have an Olympus BHM as well, just need some time to get it going. Unfortunately the light source was broken on it like yours. Thanks for that info on the LED upgrade, will read in detail.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 10:31:23 am »
I have an Olympus BHM as well, just need some time to get it going. Unfortunately the light source was broken on it like yours. Thanks for that info on the LED upgrade, will read in detail.

For my next microscope illuminator project, I've come up with a better way of constructing the optical concentrator. Two parts combined:
* Ebay search term: LED reflector collimator     eg item 371258089004  and many others.
 There are sizes to suit the 10W and 50W flat LEDs. You may find that alone will work well enough with the lens included.  Beware that what you end up with is a nice focused image of the LED chips.
I'll be using just the reflector part, to get better matching from the LED to the concentrator cavity, and allow homogenizing of the light.

* I'm planning to use several large LEDs combined for colour control in this one. So still need the optical concentrator method. But I'll be trying making a solid former of the optical cavity shape first (probably of wood), then molding the body structure around it. Either in casting epoxy or wrapped and soldered copper sheet.
Then gluing reflective foil to the inside of the cavities, same as before.

That project is getting posted here as it progresses: http://everist.org/NobLog/20150628_LED_lighting_mk3.htm

The 10W colour LEDs arrived today.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline RogerRowland

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal web site
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 02:00:36 pm »
Is it an easy thing to do, decapping an IC?

I'm just asking because I work at a company that manufactures SEMs (scanning electron microscopes) and I'm wondering about using some decapped IC images for testing some of our image stitching software (for large scale microscopy).

So, how does one decap an IC without destroying the contents?

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 02:23:42 pm »
It depends on the type. Some large chips like CPUs have metal lids that can be ripped off. For epoxy (plastic) potted chips, they can be embrittled with liquid nitrogen and then crushed, hopefully leaving the die undamaged. Or heated until the epoxy decomposes and crushed...
But to decap the chip while preserving the bond wires so it can operate, the best method is to mill a slot above the die and fill it with red fuming nitric acid.

Offline RogerRowland

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal web site
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 02:30:16 pm »
It depends on the type. Some large chips like CPUs have metal lids that can be ripped off. For epoxy (plastic) potted chips, they can be embrittled with liquid nitrogen and then crushed, hopefully leaving the die undamaged. Or heated until the epoxy decomposes and crushed...
But to decap the chip while preserving the bond wires so it can operate, the best method is to mill a slot above the die and fill it with red fuming nitric acid.

Ahh, so not a simple thing then. Maybe it's easier to dig the window out of an EPROM like the older PIC16C* micros I wonder? I'll have to see what I can do that might give me some mileage.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 02:49:02 pm »
Were you wanting to image the electrical charge in the chip as it operates? I know a SEM can do that.
Quartz-window chips are a ceramic sandwich, the trick there is to separate the ceramic layers without ripping the traces. It might be possible to dremel just above the legs to take off the top layer.

Offline RogerRowland

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal web site
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 03:03:45 pm »
No, not interested in keeping it alive. Too tricky to set that up in a vacuum. I don't want to complicate things but just get the detailed structures for image processing.

I'll have a look for some sacrificial components this evening  >:D

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 03:26:17 pm »
No, not interested in keeping it alive. Too tricky to set that up in a vacuum. I don't want to complicate things but just get the detailed structures for image processing.

I'll have a look for some sacrificial components this evening  >:D

TO-5 packages are really easy, just cut off the lid.

CERDIPs are pretty easy too (don't have to be quartz lid).

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 12:20:14 am »
For amusement, I posted some pictures of late 70s Burr-Brown thick film hybrids. Definitely not sub-micron!
https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2015/07/07/images-of-late-70s-burr-brown-thick-film-hybrid-ics/

Those are awesome! thanks for scanning and posting.

Most c00l3st ... the bondwire toroid :)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 03:28:38 pm »

Those are awesome! thanks for scanning and posting.

Most c00l3st ... the bondwire toroid :)

You're welcome. They are pretty, aren't they!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf