Author Topic: MiView USB microscope problems with Win 7  (Read 8786 times)

Offline CircuitousTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Corgi-Tronics
MiView USB microscope problems with Win 7
« on: June 09, 2013, 10:51:26 pm »
I recently received an new MiView MV500UM-PL from Saelig.  I installed the software first, and then plugged in the device.  Windows 7 recognized it and installed the Cosview driver.  But, when I open MiView, the software displays the message "Please connect MiView Digital Microscope".

I have tried this on two different windows machines:
  • Desktop running Win 7 Ultimate
  • Asus laptop running Win 7 Home

Both systems have all recent updates, etc.

I have tried the usual rebooting and uninstall/reinstall of the software.  Tried the version on the supplied CD first, then downloaded a fresh copy from their website... no luck.

Windows 7 recognizes the camera as an imaging device from Cosview Technologies.
I have emailed their support site, no response yet. 

Has anyone sucessfully used a Cosview based USB microscope on Windows 7 ?
Is there another brand that uses the same hardware?

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
Re: MiView USB microscope problems with Win 7
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 11:52:29 pm »
I recently received an new MiView MV500UM-PL from Saelig.  I installed the software first, and then plugged in the device.  Windows 7 recognized it and installed the Cosview driver.  But, when I open MiView, the software displays the message "Please connect MiView Digital Microscope".

I have tried this on two different windows machines:
  • Desktop running Win 7 Ultimate
  • Asus laptop running Win 7 Home

Both systems have all recent updates, etc.

I have tried the usual rebooting and uninstall/reinstall of the software.  Tried the version on the supplied CD first, then downloaded a fresh copy from their website... no luck.

Windows 7 recognizes the camera as an imaging device from Cosview Technologies.
I have emailed their support site, no response yet. 

Has anyone sucessfully used a Cosview based USB microscope on Windows 7 ?
Is there another brand that uses the same hardware?

Since you already tried it with all the updates, may I suggest going the other way and try something older like WinXP.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 11:55:12 pm »
Is there a driver folder on the installation CD?  Maybe try updating the driver manually and point it there?

• Supporter
    • Corgi-Tronics
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 12:36:20 am »
from rick law
try something older like WinXP
Really?

driver folder on the installation CD?
Thanks David, unfortunately, there isn't much on the CD.  Just autorun, and two versions of the viewer application (PC and Mac).  Cosview seems to be relying on Windows to download or already have the correct driver.  I'm sure there are other drivers available, but I haven't teased them out of Google yet.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 12:51:29 am »
from rick law
try something older like WinXP
Really?

Yeah, I was not joking.

If newest doesn't work, it certainly make sense to try something older.  Beside, they might have QA'ed it with older stuff, but certainly not the newest that came out after their stuff hit the market.  Besides, if they did QA'ed it with say XP-SP3, Microsoft certainly hasn't changed much to upset the apple-cart.

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 12:56:18 am »
check your device manager and see if it registered as a USB or a COM port, if com and a high number try moving it to a lower com port number

• Supporter
    • Corgi-Tronics
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 01:21:33 am »
In the Device Manager it looks like a proper camera device.  The driver details show it as ...\usbvideo.sys, and it's listed under Imaging devices.  Checking the com ports, nothing new shows up there when I plug it in.
Under the USB controllers section, it is listed as a USB Composite Device, with the driver ...\usbccgp.sys
But the drivers aren't exactly new... bother are from Microsoft in 2006.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 11:38:08 am »
My father has similar problems with his USB microscope. On some computers with Windows7 it doesn't work. It also depends on the computer's hardware.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rkupka

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 12:35:19 pm »
Manufacturer: Cosview
Latest Windows SW: http://soft.cosview.com/MiViewCap.zip
Supported OS: Win XP/Win7, both 32 and 64 bit versions.

Did you download this, or did you let your Windows to search for the driver on its own ?
It also appears that the Cosview installer requires Admin rights for installation.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:46:19 pm by rkupka »

• Supporter
    • Corgi-Tronics
Re: MiView USB microscope problems with Win 7 - solved
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 01:07:08 pm »
Posting this, in case someone else finds it useful.

Finally got it working.  The CD has an optional driver for high resolution "MJPEG CODEC V3.2.4".  Once I installed that, the software was able to recognize the camera, but I just got a black screen.
After some messing around with the software, I changed the setting for "Video Norm" to "YUY2" instead of the default mjpeg, and I got an image.
The camera streams live video only at 640x480... which really isn't bad.  I use that mode to focus, then change to high res to snap a picture.

As for the camera, the 5 MP version does provide really high resolution images.  This model also has a built-in polarized lens, with an adjustment ring... really nice for reducing glare off of copper traces and such.  Just played with it a bit so far.  The MiView software is clunky at best, but it works.

For reference it's the MiView MV500UM-PL (5.0MP-Polarizer)
Given the driver and software issues, I'm not going to give it a high rating, but it does work as advertised.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf