Author Topic: My Amscope microscope camera experience & microscope mods.  (Read 65696 times)

Offline Fat

• Regular Contributor
Re: My Amscope microscope camera experience & microscope mods.
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2015, 04:08:28 pm »
I see some great information in this thread.  I'm currently preparing to purchase a microscope and it looks like I'll either do an Amscope trinocular or an Omano. Does anyone know anything about the Omano scopes?

Fat

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2015, 09:52:42 pm »
I have an Omano and like it fine. What I like best about it was the dealer. Microscope.com was very patient with me and gave me good advice. They even talked me out of a new Meiji - which was the right call. I have the OM99 just because I'm picky about optics. The field of view is very good with mild fuzziness near the edges. The stand is what makes the difference because it is so easy to recenter the image with the boom stand.

If you get a Barlow, you might consider a 0.6x. The 0.5X really jacks up the scope eyepieces.

Also, the upgraded ring light is surprisingly effective and affordable.

Offline Fat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2015, 10:43:22 pm »
Thanks!

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2015, 08:10:15 pm »
My main concern is the field of vision, it is very narrow, so tilting will inevitably be a compromise visually.

I have my scope set for about 12-14 degrees of tilt. I find no issue with FOV or depth of focus at this little bit of tilt. But I only use about 7-9x, max, for PCB work. At higher magnification, you could have more issues.

What I like about this angle is I can easily inspect IC's while soldering. Even when I use reflow soldering, I have always inspected the PCB's at an angle, having to turn the board to see all the pins. It would be great to be able to inspect all the pins from a direct overhead angle and/or even to drag solder both rows of a DIL IC without turning the pcb. But I just can't see between the pins well enough to be comfortable with that, yet.

FYI, I just measured the difference. At a 13ish degree angle, the eyepieces are about 1.5" lower, when focused on the bench top, using my 45 degree angled eyepiece microscope with 0.5" barlow. Approximately 15" over the benchtop, vs 16.5". And that is only half the equation; it's more than just the absolute height. With the tilt, I am greatly more comfortable working on a block 1.5" above the bench surface than I am with no tilt and focusing on the bench surface.

I'm a fair bit taller than the average bear, but my bench is also a bit taller than average, at 36", so I think I can say that the average user might want just a little tilt to use a Barlow lens, comfortably. I use a regular office chair and have no problem working under the scope for hours; I've never had to stop for neck or eye strain.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 08:54:07 pm by KL27x »

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2015, 08:21:08 pm »

What I like about this angle is I can easily inspect IC's while soldering. Even when I use reflow soldering, I have always inspected the PCB's at an angle, having to turn the board to see all the pins. It would be great to be able to inspect all the pins from a direct overhead angle and/or even to drag solder both rows of a DIL IC without turning the pcb. But I just can't see between the pins well enough to be comfortable with that, yet.

Here's a rather poor video of a Vision Engineering (who make the Mantis) VS7 dynascope. The interesting bit happens about 1min 10 seconds in. Fabulous inspection tool.

Offline Fat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2015, 03:12:51 am »
Finally made the purchase. Omano 3.5 - 45 2300s trinocular with a double boom and a 80 LED light.

About a week away.

Fat

Offline kuclad

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2016, 05:39:25 pm »
Well, there ya go.. new LED mount ready and already snap'd into place.

JoanTheSpark, that's a perfect fit, looks great. How did you have that made? I've ordered laser cut parts before, but the results are always flat. Did you make the bends yourself? Would you be willing to share the design files?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf