Author Topic: NASA Apollo Launch Control Center PCB  (Read 9684 times)

Offline mikey12608Topic starter

NASA Apollo Launch Control Center PCB
« on: November 17, 2014, 06:09:36 pm »
I obtained this board from a estate sale a while back. The house use to belong to a retired NASA engineer from the Apollo Missions. He had a box written LCC (Launch Control Center) spare parts with these boards inside. I am no electronics expert but I am a space collector, so can anyone tell me what this board might be by looking at it?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:49:41 pm by mikey12608 »

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
Re: NASA Apollo Launch Control Center PCB
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 06:56:15 pm »
Looks like a slew of diode transistor logic gates.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 11:56:25 pm »
It looks great, love the '60s front panel font and colors. Feels like you've unplugged HAL 9000.

Could be a bunch of multi-input NOR gates or something. That's a lot of diodes!

ICs were exhorbitant and transistors merely very expensive, this kind of board was the equivalent of 74 logic back then.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Paul Moir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 07:19:02 am »
I think it is some sort of DTL (Diode transistor logic) NOR gates like Alex and LabSpokane suggest.  Most things are in tens here; ten transistors, associated resistors and capacitors etc, but the input diodes are odd so we don'ty have ten identical gates. 
Looking at the lower left transistor and associated components, there are six input diodes leading into the transistor with some biasing through those brown resistors.  What I find odd is that the signal seems to go through the black diode, which would be reversed biased (unless the current is flowing out of the base? PNP?).  The signal (six inputs ORed together by the diodes) is amplified by the transistor and goes back out the connector. 
The lower right gate has only 3 input diodes, so it's probably a 3 input NOR gate.

Thanks for sharing this!  It's very interesting to me.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 07:21:44 am by Paul Moir »

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 07:25:17 am »
Work of art. Love those early transistors and numbered resistors.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 04:51:12 pm »
Each logic gate has one diode that appears to be opposite in polarity to the input diodes. That *could* make these NAND gates. That would make more sense to me than a 6 input NOR gate for the purpose of "if all these conditions are true, then we'll light a green status indicator." 

That said, these otherwise appear to be NOR gates like the other posters indicated.

Thanks for the photos. The PCB is a work of art. Love the hand drawn traces.

Offline AG6QR

• Frequent Contributor
    • AG6QR Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 05:21:23 pm »
I like the way the leads are formed on those diodes.  Looks like they had a constraint on the minimum bend radius of the leads, combined with a requirement that the diodes be flush against the surface.  So the leads leave the diodes, curve up, and then down to the board.  It is a thing of beauty, and a lot of care obviously went into its manufacture.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 05:54:52 pm »
I like the way the leads are formed on those diodes.  Looks like they had a constraint on the minimum bend radius of the leads, combined with a requirement that the diodes be flush against the surface.  So the leads leave the diodes, curve up, and then down to the board.  It is a thing of beauty, and a lot of care obviously went into its manufacture.

What if they just wanted more space under the part for traces?

Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 06:13:24 pm »
More likely that diode bend up forms a clip point for test leads.

Offline extide

• Regular Contributor
    • Rovitracker - Rental management AND Real-Time data!
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 09:00:45 pm »
Wow, that's quite a piece you've got there! I absolutely love the hand drawn traces on the backside, and it seems to be in excellent condition!

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 09:44:28 am »
Christmass puzzle: where exactly in the picture does this pcb belong originally  :D
Looking at the picture the computers did not have keyboards, the keys were integrated on the panels, so this pcb might be a keymatrix decoder, but just a guess.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:46:03 am by Kjelt »

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 09:54:59 am »

Actually they are thermal stress relief bends.

Offline brabus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 10:34:38 am »
Infos on the diodes and other interesting stuff here: https://nepp.nasa.gov/index.cfm/5575  :-+

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 07:11:05 pm »

+1  not test points or for clearance. Stress relief.  Glass packaged diodes need extra stress relief compared to the resistors which are ok with the leads being bent at least a specific distance from the end of the component.  Same specs exist today for flight hardware and critical ground support hardware.   Obviously there is standards for SMD components also now.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 07:44:50 pm »

+1  not test points or for clearance. Stress relief.  Glass packaged diodes need extra stress relief compared to the resistors which are ok with the leads being bent at least a specific distance from the end of the component.  Same specs exist today for flight hardware and critical ground support hardware.   Obviously there is standards for SMD components also now.

Thanks!

Offline SNGLinks

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 10:26:09 pm »
Infos on the diodes and other interesting stuff here: https://nepp.nasa.gov/index.cfm/5575  :-+

That reminded me of my time at a NASA STADAN station. We used to get bulletins of the analysis of the failures of mission critical components.
Interesting microscope photos of the insides of transistors etc.

Ashley

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 12:17:12 am »
I obtained this board from a estate sale a while back. The house use to belong to a retired NASA engineer from the Apollo Missions. He had a box written LCC (Launch Control Center) spare parts with these boards inside.

I hesitate to ask, but did you buy just that one board, or the whole box of boards?

If you have a box-full of them, I don't suppose you'd consider selling any?
I'd really like to add a board like that, an actual Apollo relic, to my humble collection.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline mikey12608Topic starter

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 07:03:08 pm »
I obtained this board from a estate sale a while back. The house use to belong to a retired NASA engineer from the Apollo Missions. He had a box written LCC (Launch Control Center) spare parts with these boards inside.

I hesitate to ask, but did you buy just that one board, or the whole box of boards?

If you have a box-full of them, I don't suppose you'd consider selling any?
I'd really like to add a board like that, an actual Apollo relic, to my humble collection.

I wish I bought the whole box. Sorry  :-//

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 04:53:30 am »
I can't help but to comment on the picture in post #10.

That security camera just seems out of place with the rest of the technology in there. I would have thought it to either be non-existent in that time, or BIGGER.

If that is a board for a NOR gate, is that just one gate?  If so, Man, I'd hate to see the size of the WOPR if it was made in the 60's.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 05:40:58 am »
I can't help but to comment on the picture in post #10.

That security camera just seems out of place with the rest of the technology in there. I would have thought it to either be non-existent in that time, or BIGGER.

If that is a board for a NOR gate, is that just one gate?  If so, Man, I'd hate to see the size of the WOPR if it was made in the 60's.

It's likely 10 gates. DTL uses the transistor to correct the diode drop, which also inverts the output.

Offline RJFreeman

• Regular Contributor
    • Australian Technical Production Services
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 05:55:02 am »
looks like a card from a computer made by a company called Computer Control Company, Inc aka 3C (logo in corner of board in IMG_0077.jpg)
possibly a DDP-24 (or a DDP-116).

The DDP-24 had 7 OD-30 cards, which were apparently an Octal/Decimal decoder as listed in table 1-8 found on page 1-12 of the DDP-24 instruction manual:

https://archive.org/stream/ddp-24_instructionman_aug64/DDP-24_InstructionMan_Aug64#page/n23/mode/2up

3C was later taken over by Honeywell so may be listed as Honeywell DDP-24

Offline RJFreeman

• Regular Contributor
    • Australian Technical Production Services
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2014, 05:54:40 am »
I have found you the schematics for that board (although it does look to be a slightly different revision).

http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/honeywell/modules/130071184B_1MC_Series_S-PAC_Jan66.pdf
starting on page 3-123 (page 119 in the PDF).

just in case you want to get the board working or something.... ;D

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 06:53:10 am »
What a great find  :-+ a true electro archive detective.
Never bothered with old school electronics  myself but what really is different from nowadays are the use of negative supply voltages in reference to ground, noadays it is all positive.

Offline Paul Moir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 07:57:37 am »
Great find, thanks!

Perhaps the reason they went with negative voltage was to allow them to use PNP transistors, which I think were more easily made back then?

Another question for whoever is interested in the architecture:  is the purpose of the -18v supply to speed up the transitions?

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 08:54:21 am »
When I started at university in 1975, we got shown how to use a computer for circuit modelling. This was the first time I'd ever got to use a computer other than remotely: we were actually shown how to to switch it on from cold; set the switches to load the boot loader from paper tape (and respool the paper tape afterwards without slicing your hand open!); and load the operating system from disc. This was a Honeywell DDP-516. One of the circuit analysis examples was a DTL NAND gate just like the one here!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf