Author Topic: Need a source for USB-to-UART CP2102 modules with MicroUSB  (Read 1408 times)

Offline PeabodyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Need a source for USB-to-UART CP2102 modules with MicroUSB
« on: July 09, 2018, 05:27:25 am »
The subject modules look like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113116825693

There appears to have been a very large batch of these modules that are defective.  I bought bad ones from one Ebay seller and from Banggood.  These bad modules have an error in the board layout that connects pin 9 (Reset) of the CP2102 to USB V+ (5V).  That raises the voltage on the regulated "3.3V" pin, as well as DTR and TXD to about 4.3V, or about one diode drop below 5V.  Of course that could be disastrous if connected to a 3.3V processor since it would likely exceed the absolute maximum ratings.

I found one Ebay seller who provided good modules, but his source has now dried up, and I no longer have a source for good modules.

If anyone has bought any of these modules recently, and if they are good, I would appreciate a link to your source.  The good/bad test is simple.  Connect the module to USB and measure the voltage on the 3.3V output header hole.  If it's about 3.3V, it's good, but if it's more like 4.3V, it's bad.

By the way, the cure for a bad module is to just cut the trace connected to pin 9.  The chip works fine with Reset floating, and the voltages return to normal.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf