Author Topic: New Lab LED Studio Lights - Suggestions  (Read 3149 times)

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
New Lab LED Studio Lights - Suggestions
« on: June 29, 2017, 04:45:35 am »
End of year tax time...
I want to get two new portable studio lab lights.
Looking for top quality brands and models, no ebay crap.
High CRI, 5000K (or adjustable) to match my existing ceiling lights, and soft diffuser.

I heard these Aputure Lightstorm's are pretty good?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQFNAJN/
Or these smaller ones?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S7WQSO0?psc=1

I also need a light tent and lights for macro photography, but cheap-ish probably works ok there? I want this to be a permanent setup in the corner of the lab, suitable for PCB and product shots etc.

Opinions please from those in the know.
Thanks.

Offline anishkgt

• Frequent Contributor
    • George Hobby
Re: New Lab LED Studio Lights - Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 04:50:09 am »
Since the thread is more of photography try bhphotovideo.com. They should have most of the photo equipments. Or adorama.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline anishkgt

• Frequent Contributor
    • George Hobby
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 04:53:20 am »
Hi Dave those that you have linked above are bare led's. They would be a little too much for the object being shot. Try ones with a diffuser. Those give better results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 05:10:45 am »
Hi Dave those that you have linked above are bare led's. They would be a little too much for the object being shot. Try ones with a diffuser. Those give better results.

I know, they come with a diffuses, and an optional soft box like the EZ BOX

The two stand kit looks pretty good:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-2x-Aputure-Amaran-AL-HR672-C-LED-Video-Light-Panel-for-Camcorder-and-Cameras-/262163047549?hash=item3d0a22a47d:g:gLgAAOSw8oFX0uRu

Small and compact (could take on shoots also), high CRI, dual battery system (no messy wires). Any quality competitors to these?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 05:13:04 am by EEVblog »

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 05:23:53 am »
Have you seen the ARRI Skypanel? They're apparently pretty highly regarded in the industry and it certainly fits the no EBAY crap category.

Elf

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 05:28:44 am »
Not sure how much you want to spend, but Kino Flo are very well regarded for soft studio lighting. I have two of their 4' 4-bank units and I am very happy with them. They have 5500K bulbs with very good color rendition (especially versus LED, regardless of manufacturer's gamed CRI numbers). Very popular in cinema.

The 4' banks are a little large compared to the LED banks you linked, but just keep in mind the softness of a light source is directly related to its size proportional to the subject.

If you want top quality in LED, Arri and Mole Richardson are the places to go. There are only a handful of well known cinema lighting manufacturers; generally a bit above the Amazon price point though.

Tungsten will give better color rendition than LED at a lower cost if budget is an issue, but of course will not match your 5000K overhead lighting.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 05:30:12 am »
Have you seen the ARRI Skypanel? They're apparently pretty highly regarded in the industry and it certainly fits the no EBAY crap category.

Awesome, but at $4k per light for the small one, kinda out of the budget.

Online DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 05:31:52 am »
I have some of the smaller Aputure ones and use them for various video projects, mounted on tripods.
They seem to work really well with the soft diffuser clipped over the front (it comes with a couple of diffusers).
Also variable intensity so you can set the lighting how you want it. I use a rechargeable battery clipped on the back for power.

Basic but useful for the kind of stuff you do.
Was it really supposed to do that?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 05:35:59 am »
Not sure how much you want to spend, but Kino Flo are very well regarded for soft studio lighting. I have two of their 4' 4-bank units and I am very happy with them. They have 5500K bulbs with very good color rendition (especially versus LED, regardless of manufacturer's gamed CRI numbers). Very popular in cinema.
The 4' banks are a little large compared to the LED banks you linked, but just keep in mind the softness of a light source is directly related to its size proportional to the subject.

Yeah, too big for what I need I'm afraid.
I already have a reasonable amount of ceiling light, just need some extra portable lights for various tasks like supplementing the Tagarno microscope, high speed camera work, and extra product fill lighting.
Small and battery powered so they don't get the the way is the key.
They can also double as the light tent sources.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 05:37:53 am »
Basic but useful for the kind of stuff you do.

Yeah, I don't have a big fixed studio setup, almost every video I do has different needs.

Elf

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 02:44:24 am »
Yeah, too big for what I need I'm afraid.
I already have a reasonable amount of ceiling light, just need some extra portable lights for various tasks like supplementing the Tagarno microscope, high speed camera work, and extra product fill lighting.
Small and battery powered so they don't get the the way is the key.
Unfortunately I am not too familiar with battery powered gear, which I think mostly gets developed for the ENG (Electronic News Gathering) market.

However if you can live with a plug, it occurred to me that something like a pair of Mole "Baby" LED fresnels with some diffusion that you can clip and unclip from the barn doors might do the job well. It would also give you a lot more light output for high speed, vs a panel.

Bardwell & McAllister are also a good competitor to Mole Richardson.

Other than that, maybe just take a peek around somewhere like B&H for ENG targeted battery powered LED products.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 09:07:07 pm »
Dave,  if you ever make it to NYC in the US, B&H is an absolutely awesome place to visit.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf