Author Topic: New Weller Station: Weller WE1010  (Read 22822 times)

Offline 4thDoctorWhoFan

• Regular Contributor
Re: New Weller Station: Weller WE1010
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 02:37:05 pm »
Might be worth a shootout.
I hope it turns out better than the pocket multimeter shootout.  :)

Online Qw3rtzuiop

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 03:35:35 pm »
The digikey version is defenitly 120v only. Today some european distributors listed a 230v version at around 150€.

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2018, 12:54:34 pm »
At the first sight i think it might be aimed at the Ersa I-Con Nano.  :box:
Looking at the pricetag in europa it seems to be true. But so far i can't find a 230V Version of it.

Offline Gromitt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2018, 02:55:48 pm »
Looking at the pricetag in europa it seems to be true. But so far i can't find a 230V Version of it.

https://www.reichelt.de/?ACTION=3;ARTICLE=218804;SEARCH=weller%20we

Offline corn11

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2018, 06:05:57 pm »
reichelt increased the price by 20 €  :o In the newsletter they've sent me two weeks ago the station was listed for 149,95 €
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 06:09:07 pm by corn11 »

Offline hli

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2018, 11:57:50 pm »
reichelt increased the price by 20 €  :o In the newsletter they've sent me two weeks ago the station was listed for 149,95 €
IIRC they said (at least on the website) that this was an introduction price, valid in February only. When I compare it to my iCon pico, I probably would prefer the Weller.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2018, 12:02:40 am »
At 100 euros it looks to be a killer station. At 150 euros, competition starts looking more interesting. At more than that, you completely lose the entry level market.

At 150 euros or less it would be a perfect station to get people on board with Weller even on a smaller budget. Providing the performance is decent and the tips don't rot easily, of course.

Offline FrankE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2018, 07:09:46 am »
. The spec sheet is a little bit confusing.

Confusing spec sheets are something Weller do really well.
You have to dig really hard to find out information. Like what tips are supplied with a multistation, what nozzles fit the hot air pencils, pin outs for control cables.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2018, 08:41:31 am »
Might be worth a shootout.
I hope it turns out better than the pocket multimeter shootout.  :)

Oh, BURN!
(pun intended)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2018, 08:42:38 am »
I don't have any other irons yet, just the new Weller and the FX-888D, so I might just compare those two for now. Can always compare more irons later?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2018, 08:51:26 am »
US$117 on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WE1010NA-Digital-Soldering-Station/dp/B077JDGY1J
It's likely to be more expensive in other places, but if it's around 100-120 euros it would have to be horrible to not be a hit.

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2018, 06:10:14 pm »

https://www.reichelt.de/?ACTION=3;ARTICLE=218804;SEARCH=weller%20we
Aviable at the 30.03.2018 if i read this correctly.

If i have the choice between the I-Con-Pico and this one at the same pricepoint, i would probaly take the weller. But i got my I-Con-Pico for like 100-110€ (I don't remember the exact price) and the weller here seems to be like 160-170€ in germany.

I wonder however, how the solderingiron is made and how the heat is controlled. I had positive and negative experiences in that way.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2018, 10:05:57 pm »
At 100 euros it looks to be a killer station. At 150 euros, competition starts looking more interesting. At more than that, you completely lose the entry level market.

At 150 euros or less it would be a perfect station to get people on board with Weller even on a smaller budget. Providing the performance is decent and the tips don't rot easily, of course.
We have no way of knowing, because Weller introduced yet another type of tip.
IMHO this is getting ridiculous, they are making the exact same tools over and over again, without compatible parts. This station is practically, feature wise the same as a WD 1M, but different watts, and iron. Weller has 25 different family of soldering tips, only in the professional series. I wonder when they will realize, that it is getting silly.

The following users thanked this post: FrankE

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2018, 10:52:53 pm »
IMHO this is getting ridiculous, they are making the exact same tools over and over again, without compatible parts. This station is practically, feature wise the same as a WD 1M, but different watts, and iron. Weller has 25 different family of soldering tips, only in the professional series. I wonder when they will realize, that it is getting silly.
That's one of the major things I dislike about Weller. I can understand you differentiate to compete in certain industries or markets and I even understand that you occasionally refresh things to keep people buying new things, though I obviously don't really like the latter. But having that many different components isn't helpful.

It's not making your product better either. I don't want to have to stock so many different spares and tips if I'm trying to keep production on the floor going. If I can choose between a brand that refreshes everything all the time and a brand that allows me to keep a sensible inventory, I will pick the latter. No matter how good the tools are.

Offline FrankE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2018, 12:30:24 am »

+1
They tend to stock tips for irons long after their retirement.
I was looking at JBC's site, they seem to have hella discontinued models.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2018, 12:50:37 am »

Isn't this one supposed to use old ETA type tips, same as for old WES51...
New 70W soldering iron, but old ETA tips....

But I agree, i don't understand Weller product range at all.....

I will probably move to Hakko when WP80 on my WD1000 starts giving me more problems...

Regards,

Sinisa

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2018, 02:37:05 pm »
IIRC they said (at least on the website) that this was an introduction price, valid in February only. When I compare it to my iCon pico, I probably would prefer the Weller.

If i have the choice between the I-Con-Pico and this one at the same pricepoint, i would probaly take the weller. But i got my I-Con-Pico for like 100-110€ (I don't remember the exact price) and the weller here seems to be like 160-170€ in germany.

Having seen the video on how that thing performs, it’d be absolutely insane to go for the Weller instead of the i-Con Pico (or better, the nano for just a bit more). It’s way, way, way, way slower at heating up than the Ersa.

And on top of it, Ersa’s tips have a reputation of lasting longer than Weller’s.

It really is a travesty that Dave still hasn’t reviewed an Ersa, given that the i-Con series has been out for what, 10 years now? I realize it’s probably not a common brand in Australia (just as it isn’t in USA), but for all the European eevblog viewers (isn’t Germany alone the #2 in viewership?), Ersa needs to be reviewed, since in Europe, neither Hakko nor Weller is priced favorably.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 02:39:28 pm by tooki »

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2018, 04:22:26 pm »

Having seen the video on how that thing performs, it’d be absolutely insane to go for the Weller instead of the i-Con Pico (or better, the nano for just a bit more). It’s way, way, way, way slower at heating up than the Ersa.

And on top of it, Ersa’s tips have a reputation of lasting longer than Weller’s.

It really is a travesty that Dave still hasn’t reviewed an Ersa, given that the i-Con series has been out for what, 10 years now? I realize it’s probably not a common brand in Australia (just as it isn’t in USA), but for all the European eevblog viewers (isn’t Germany alone the #2 in viewership?), Ersa needs to be reviewed, since in Europe, neither Hakko nor Weller is priced favorably.
Hm, i have not seen the new Weller in action. But i did expect that it is as fast as the ersa I-Con-Pico.
Where can i find a video of it?

If it is slower ... well ... then the choice is simple  ;)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2018, 07:13:34 pm »
It’s the latest EEVBlog video. The Weller WE1010 vs. the Hakko FX-888D.

In a nutshell, they are quite similar. But neither one can hold a candle to the i-Con series. I didn’t count the seconds, but Handgelenk mal Pi it looks like both the WE1010 and FX-888D take around three times as long as an i-Con to heat up. That, in turn, should give some idea as to how much heat recovery the i-Con can provide.

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2018, 07:50:23 pm »
Just watched it:
 :wtf: both seem to be realy slow. I think my little I-Con-Pico outperforms both easily.
If i would have a little I-Con spare, i would send it to dave.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline hli

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2018, 09:21:45 pm »
I didn’t count the seconds, but Handgelenk mal Pi it looks like both the WE1010 and FX-888D take around three times as long as an i-Con to heat up. That, in turn, should give some idea as to how much heat recovery the i-Con can provide.
I just measured: my i-Con Pico takes 15 seconds from power-on to 320°C.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2018, 06:49:24 am »
One video comparison of the i-Con 1, nano, and pico showed them taking 9, 11, and 12 seconds, respectively. (I forget to which temperature. And of course, the ambient temperature could matter, too. All 3 were tested with the default 1.6mm chisel tip.)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2018, 06:31:35 pm »

Isn't this one supposed to use old ETA type tips, same as for old WES51...
New 70W soldering iron, but old ETA tips....
Yes. It uses the same ET series tips used in the WES51/D models (all non-consumer entry-level stations).

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2018, 02:13:36 pm »
One should always know Their History before making any judgments; or before getting even impressed by any 'Marketing achievement' stunts!

Well, it seems that ERSA (in the pre-war Berlin, during the very early Twenties) was the first company that ever built a production soldering iron, in worldwide scale; yes, the first one, ever! Weller, instead, was founded much later in time, during the early Fifties, by some homonymous 'American investor' in the bankrupted and in an extremely very fast pace developing Western Germany of those times (right after the Marshall Plan and the Mutual Security Act that took over the 'business')...

So, the innovator among those two companies above was not Weller, by any means --thus the big difference between their products.

I'm sorry but I am not a fan of Weller and their technological or marketing acrobatics...

-George
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 02:25:36 pm by A Hellene »
Hi! This is George; and I am three and a half years old!
(This was one of my latest realisations, now in my early fifties!...)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf