Author Topic: TE's ampmodu crimp tools  (Read 7752 times)

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
TE's ampmodu crimp tools
« on: May 28, 2014, 07:54:29 am »
I'm looking for a crimp tool for TE's ampmodu contacts, they official ones seem to be very expensive.l Does anyone know of any alternatives ?

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
Re: TE's ampmodu crimp tools
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 08:28:45 am »
Not familiar with the range - I have this one from Amazon as well as its smaller brother for general crimping.

Got a photo of the crimp pin?

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 09:24:44 am »
http://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivity-amp/1-87309-4/crimp-socket-high-pres/dp/3088510?Ntt=3088510

According to the description on your small crimper it will do the ampmodu pins

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 09:53:52 am »
According to the description on your small crimper it will do the ampmodu pins
For a smidge over thirty quid it's probably worth a go then.  :)

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 09:54:53 am »
Hopefully the boss thinks so, too, I'm getting fed up with soldering the buggers having butchered them so that they will fit in the housings.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 10:01:32 am »
I'm getting fed up with soldering the buggers having butchered them so that they will fit in the housings.
Ah, not the way to go.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 10:55:51 am »
The problem is we fit a few pins for prototype builds and after that it tends to go to a harness subcontractor so we are looking at spending 100's of pounds on a crimp tool that may get less than 100 uses per year at our current rate. As my boss has pointed out soldering makes them subject to break under shock (500G) and I'm getting fed up with soldering the fiddly things.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 11:13:01 am »
so we are looking at spending 100's of pounds on a crimp tool that may get less than 100 uses per year at our current rate
They are stupidly expensive, which is why I bought the universal ones from Amazon - still slightly pricy really but they work OK and way cheaper than the official tools. A neat crimp looks much better than soldering the pins and (usually) squashing the pin with a pair of pliers as well to get some sort of grip on the wire.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 11:41:14 am »
I'm using an Engineer PA-20 crimping tool and it works great.   You can buy it or the version for smaller pins (PA-09) from Rakuten:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/monju/item/800-pa-20/
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/monju/item/800-pa-09/

I got mine from eBay from a UK seller but it was a bit more expensive: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/universal-mini-crimping-tool-molex-jst-amp-crimp-terminal-pliers-engineer-pa-20-/261110204270?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

Here's the Engineer PA-09 page: http://www.engineer.jp/en/products/pa09e.html  and here's a chart with what they can crimp : http://www.engineer.jp/en/products/pa09_20applicatn_chart.html

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 11:50:50 am »
I bought the PA-01 from that seller, good tool, but have any of you compared that with the pa-20 or pa-09?, it's not quite clear to me if they complements or replace each other..

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 11:57:20 am »
I bought the PA-01 from that seller, good tool, but have any of you compared that with the pa-20 or pa-09?, it's not quite clear to me if they complements or replace each other..
Amazon is cheaper (at the moment)

There is an overlap between the pa-09 and the pa-20/21 as all have the 1.6 and 1.9mm slots.

I bought the pa-21 as I couldn't see the point in having 1.9mm and 2.0mm on the same tool.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 12:39:16 pm »
The problem is we fit a few pins for prototype builds and after that it tends to go to a harness subcontractor so we are looking at spending 100's of pounds on a crimp tool that may get less than 100 uses per year at our current rate. As my boss has pointed out soldering makes them subject to break under shock (500G) and I'm getting fed up with soldering the fiddly things.
If you're worried about performance and/or using in production you should be using the manufacturer's tool. And in theory also having it calibrated.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 12:44:02 pm »
I know, tell my employer that, but the first tool quote i had was for £1300-2000, because TE have a tool divison that works just for making and selling tools and wants to make a profit from selling tools, so they are stupid prices as the wages of people developing and selling tools should be subdidized by the connectors they are used on. It's a case of if it wasn't that we don't currently use a range of PCB connectors I'd not be bothering.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf