Author Topic: outlet timer (for soldering iron)  (Read 5709 times)

Offline charlesTopic starter

• Contributor
outlet timer (for soldering iron)
« on: August 09, 2014, 09:43:19 pm »
I am looking for some kind of outlet timer to hook my soldering station to. I have accidentally left it on overnight once or twice :) already, whoops.

So, I want a setup that will cut the power to the iron if it is on for more than say an hour or two (just in case I forget to turn if off again). Does anyone else have a setup for this? Are there any recommendations for out of the box solutions? I have seen several outlet timers but many of them seem to be quite coarse, i.e. a single turn equals a full 24 hours, or designed more for scheduled events like a lighting timer for instance.  I have never dealt with mains wiring, so am a bit hesitant about a diy circuit. However, if that is clearly the best way to handle the problem, I can make a weekend project of it so that I can do it slowly and carefully.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
Re: outlet timer (for soldering iron)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 10:01:27 pm »
i'm "turning off" my whole mini-lab when i'm leaving. nothing get's powered overnight (unless i'm there overnight of course;)).

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 10:08:22 pm »
There are ready made things with timers pretty much everywhere, all the local malls have them here for example.

here's amazon page with 3 typical keywords for those: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=timer%20switch%20plug

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 04:51:27 am »
Thanks for the reply. However, I am aware that they exist, I guess I was just looking to see if anyone had any recommendations.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 05:30:25 am »
Thanks for the reply. However, I am aware that they exist, I guess I was just looking to see if anyone had any recommendations.

Yeah, if you don't already have one in your lab, add a good smoke detector to your shopping list.

Second recommendation: The timers you just got recommended might all not do what you want. These timers typically repeat the timer settings daily. So next day your iron will turn on again unsupervised :(

Third: If you want a DIY solution, but don't want to mess with main, there are DC switchable power strips available. The most simple ones I have seen have a simple relay inside, controlled by 5V or 12V DC. More "advanced" ones have a USB PC interface, and others use an RF remote control or even GSM (we use those to remotely power-cycle a server that likes to crash ...).
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 02:41:42 pm »
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 06:01:12 pm »
Yeah, I saw that Belkin socket. However, somewhat confusingly, it says "coming soon" on the Belkin website but "Discontinued by Manufacturer" on the official amazon product page linked from the Belkin webpage. So, I was a bit hesitant to consider it further.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 07:05:19 pm »
I have actually seen that Belkin gadget for sale in stores.

Another choice:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Westek-60-Minutes-In-Wall-Countdown-Timer-White-TMSW60MW/203675440
You'll need to supply your own enclosure, outlet, and power cord.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 07:37:16 pm »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf