Author Topic: Panavise Panapress and IDC Press Kit Review / Moan (+ Mouser warning)  (Read 2252 times)

Offline EigerdesignTopic starter

• Contributor
    • J-testr
Panavise Panapress and IDC Press Kit

We have never written a review before but this product is so poor, and the customer service even worse, we considered that we have a duty to warn other potential buyers.

As a test company we make several Ribbon cables and, if you have ever made some you will know that they can be quite fiddly. We have some lower end hand tools but when we saw this product we considered it to be a great idea for a fair price.

We looked at the company’s website and found no information about connector compatibly, as we know from experience that not all IDC connectors are exactly the same, and found no information. As we intended to import (USA to Switzerland) we first wrote to the company and asked them what parts would fit the connectors we intended to use and they quickly gave us this information.
We also asked for some pricing for purchasing directly but the shipping was very steep hence we choice to by the equipment from Mouser as they have free delivery with only a small piece price increase.

So with great excitement, as we are sad engineers, the product arrived but the excitement did not last long. The general equipment (press and main adapter) was not the quality we expected and felt rather cheap, in fact cheaper than 80USD presses we buy from eBay for pressing in PCB PEM fasteners.

Then the real disappointment hit when we opened up one of the adapters and lots of metal swarf fell out of the packaging, which is not great in an electronic environment, and we saw the quality finish of the IDC holder adapters (namely pn 510). The finish was horrid, not cleaned and had large sharp raised machining indentations on the surface where the plastic IDC connectors sit. We tested this and indeed it made unacceptable impressions on the connector being pressed.

Next we open the 513 adapter, which was better finished, but with great surprise, after being told this is the correct adapter for our connectors, it was completely (massive difference) incorrect.

We immediately reported this to Panavise and they basically told us, as we purchased the product via distribution, and not direct, that we had to deal with the distributor. They did make a big point that if we had purchased direct that they would be more than happy to help but as it was via Distribution it was not their problem. When we indicated that it was their product and that they had wrongly advised us on the selection of adapters, they still told us it was not their problem and we must return to the distributor but where happy to sell us new ones directly.

So in desperation, as Mouser would not pay for the product to be returned and the price of return was nearly the same cost of the product itself (heavy), we asked Panavise for a price to supply the correct adapter and a replacement to the manufacture error unit. Then shock number two… they were unable to supply an adapter that fitted our connector type, the one they had previously indicated was no issue with their standard 513 model, but could supply a custom one at near 3.5x the cost of the 513 and with a large shipping cost.

Well needless to say we were not impressed and now are left with the expensive costs to ship back to Mouser at no fault of our own… a classic lesson in money wasting.

Conclusions:

Don’t buy from Panavise, their products are cheaply made, badly manufactured and the company are happy to sell you incorrect parts as they know the cost of return makes it not feasible to return (outside of the US).

Don’t buy capital equipment from Mouser, or even other expensive items, as if they are incorrect or damaged you have to return to the USA at your own costs – if the item is heavy this gets very expensive. Unlike Farnell and RS components that we pay returns if it is not a customer caused issue.

Anyway I hope this help other people from making the same mistakes, we will try to make a YouTube video as we were unable to find one about this product.
I remember when I was young... I think.

The following users thanked this post: glenenglish

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Why not find another 1-ton press & have a local machine shop make you a die?

You'll know it fits your connectors at any rate, and shipping delays will be eliminated.  :-+

Offline Koen

• Frequent Contributor
I fail to see why Mouser would be at fault, their conditions read : "If Mouser agrees to accept a return, return freight charges must be prepaid by customer."

Offline EigerdesignTopic starter

• Contributor
    • J-testr
Hi Koen

Not saying it is Mouser at Fault, just to warn that you need to read the small print. Better to buy locally, if possible, as the free delivery is only attractive if you don't have to send the item back for whatever reason.

Either that or buy a quality product from them, however you are never guaranteed that you won't get a bad one that you have to send back all the way to the USA.

Tony
I remember when I was young... I think.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
Panavise Panapress and IDC Press Kit

Nothing to do with test equipment, this should really have been posted in 'Other Equipment and Products'.

@Mods: please move

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
Ran into the same problem with the 513 die, I don't know what sort of connectors it was intended to be used with.  I don't think I've ever seen a D-Sub IDC connector where the cable sits far enough back in the connector for that die to work.  Fortunately I rarely have any need to deal with D-Sub IDC connectors anymore, so not such a loss.

I found the 510 die to be perfectly serviceable, though, sort of sounds like you just got a dud there. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf