Author Topic: Pigtail for TO-220 Package  (Read 2114 times)

Offline t1dTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Pigtail for TO-220 Package
« on: August 15, 2018, 11:02:01 pm »
I am building a DC Electronic Load. I would like to use a pigtail, to wire the MOSFETs. That is to say, I want to be able to set all of the MOSFETs on the heat sink, secure them, with the HS bar clamp and just plug in the MOSFETs. This connector would have the wires come out of it, to solder to their supplies.

In the past, I connected all the common MOSFET pin, with 12 gauge wire. This made a fragile framework assembly, that was a pain to build.

I am having trouble finding this pigtail. Maybe one is not manufactured. Or, maybe I do not know the right terms, by which to search. "TO-220 pigtail" and "TO-220 wire connector" did not produce any relevant results.

Any help finding this item would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 01:12:27 am by t1d »

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
Re: Pigtail for TO-220 Package
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 11:21:18 pm »
You can't find "TO220 pigtail" because it's bad idea :)
High current power transistor is last thing you would want to plug into socket.

Offline t1dTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 01:13:16 am »
That makes sense. Thank you.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 01:55:37 am »
I've seen people use screw terminal blocks and you can also use friction lock type connectors with the standard 0.1" pin spacing like the sort typically found on computer fans. Proper TO220 sockets must exist too, I've certainly dealt with plenty of TO3 sockets and they work ok within reasonable constraints.

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 05:03:26 am »
Could you mount the TO-220 packages to their own small PCB with either a header or flyleads to then plug into the main PCB?
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 05:30:11 am »
I am building a DC Electronic Load. I would like to use a pigtail, to wire the MOSFETs. That is to say, I want to be able to set all of the MOSFETs on the heat sink, secure them, with the HS bar clamp and just plug in the MOSFETs. This connector would have the wires come out of it, to solder to their supplies.

In the past, I connected all the common MOSFET pin, with 12 gauge wire. This made a fragile framework assembly, that was a pain to build.

I am having trouble finding this pigtail. Maybe one is not manufactured. Or, maybe I do not know the right terms, by which to search. "TO-220 pigtail" and "TO-220 wire connector" did not produce any relevant results.

Any help finding this item would be appreciated.

I've seen people using three-pin Molex (2.54mm pitch) connectors using for that. But in general, it's a bad idea as others said.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 06:55:55 am »
I don't know that it's such a terrible idea in this context. I DC load implies linear mode, so the current through each individual transistor is probably pretty low. A Molex (KK?) connector is good for several Amps so as long as the leads are not unusually thin I don't really see it being a big issue.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 09:36:19 am »
Hi,

its a bad idea, as the others have said. If the root cause for the need for sockets is that your MOSFETs blow out so often, get LINEAR MOSFETs and use either equalization resistors or better a separate gate driver for each one.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 04:49:32 pm »
There are other reasons, needing to mount them remotely, ease of assembly, even if you never intend to replace blown parts there are situations where a socket makes things easier. Having not seen the design I can't comment on whether this is one of those situations.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 02:11:07 pm »
even if you never intend to replace blown parts there are situations where a socket makes things easier.

You introduce potential point of failure(s) in your device. In power transistor case it is (to say politely) reckless decision. Other name: overengineering.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 04:08:12 pm »
I disagree. It is a technique that has a place, it is not something that one uses often but that is not the same as saying it should never be done. I have ~40 year old gear with TO-220 transistors mounted in this way and I have never had a problem with that particular area. There's nothing reckless about using an unconventional technique, especially for a personal project. We are not talking high reliability avionics here.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 11:26:32 pm »
can you post pictures of to220 connectors?

I have just seen them bolted to random parts of the chassis with wires soldered to the legs, which were put into I think screw terminals. If you put wires on each leg, and heat shrink the legs, goop it, and heat shrink it further, it could be a reliable thingy with horrible electromagnetic specifications. You can also probably use a shielded wire in this case. I would consider it more reliable then something that clipped on the leads which are designed to be soldered. I guess this is what you are already doing?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 11:28:43 pm by coppercone2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf