Author Topic: PNP transistor chip  (Read 10173 times)

Offline JackoTopic starter

• Contributor
PNP transistor chip
« on: November 27, 2014, 01:59:20 am »
I thought you guys might enjoy the pix that I took after cutting apart a 34 year old pnp power transistor:

http://www.muzique.com/news/pnp-power-transistor-closeup/

The transistor still works and is in spec.

Enjoy the pix.

Best regards, Jack

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: PNP transistor chip
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 03:29:22 am »
cannibal ! Sacrilige ! destroying a perfectly good transistor
if it were a vacuum tube i wouldn't care , but you just don't do that with a transistor.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 03:36:22 am »
Not destroyed, just free and topless :)

You sure it's not a 60's transistor?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 04:41:50 am »
I will give you a BDY20, topless from installation. Date coded 1R59.

IMG_1287 by SeanB_ZA, on Flickr

Offline atferrari

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 08:47:36 am »
Shine some light on them while working and you could see a change in performance.
Agustín Tomás
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, however, there is.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 11:11:56 am »
Make sure you don't inhale any beryllium used in the packaging.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 03:07:15 pm »
I thought you guys might enjoy the pix that I took after cutting apart a 34 year old pnp power transistor:

http://www.muzique.com/news/pnp-power-transistor-closeup/

The transistor still works and is in spec.

Enjoy the pix.

Best regards, Jack

Pretty sure the spec shows an intact TO-3 casing.  ;)
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline 128er

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 06:42:38 pm »
Nice pics. A few months ago I've made pictures of a blown NPN BJT with my inverse microscope. The transistor was presumably blown by a voltage spike. It was switching an electric clutch in a realy big lathe.

The quality is much better in reality. In addition to the eyepice, you have a focusing screen (right term?) at the microscope too. The pics are taken from that screen.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 07:15:06 pm »
Genuine 2N3773 there it looks like. You definitely exceeded SOA there.

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 07:29:30 pm »
If you apply about 10V reverse bias to the base-emitter junction the transistor works as a LED!

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 05:36:36 pm »
With silicon you mostly get IR light. It actually is a problem in hybrid amplifiers where you have high impedance inputs and high current transistors that emit light into the package that increases noise in the input. That is why some will have a coat over the sensitive devices to reduce the noise.

Offline JackoTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 10:38:56 pm »
Pretty sure the spec shows an intact TO-3 casing.  ;)

I looked on the back of the blister card where the specs are printed and there was nothing about that  ;D

I figured that I could put the top back on and secure it with a piece of duct tape to keep the electrons from flying away   ^-^

@128er and SeanB: nice pictures. Thanks for posting.

Best regards, Jack

Offline blackice504

• Contributor
    • Storm Cell Systems
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 01:49:49 pm »
Thanks for sharing the TO-3 package PNP transistor it was really interesting especially with the using at a LED, i was like whaaaaatt i did not expect that but then again i was not around when TO-3 where in full swing.

Side note, i had a project some time back where i built a square wave inverter for shits and giggles and for Science anyway i used TO-3 back then i was surprised how expensive they where for an old transistor but they taken a hammering.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 01:55:56 pm »
those pictures should be shown to those "hi-fi" guys: after having seen how thin those bonding wires are, maybe they will stop upgrading their wires, :)
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 02:27:07 pm »
those pictures should be shown to those "hi-fi" guys: after having seen how thin those bonding wires are, maybe they will stop upgrading their wires, :)

That, or you'll create a new market for high-end discrete semiconductors. Hmm, I wonder what sorts of materials they'd prefer...
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 02:57:59 pm »

That, or you'll create a new market for high-end discrete semiconductors. Hmm, I wonder what sorts of materials they'd prefer...

If we decapped transistors and put thicker bonding wires in, then recapped them, we could make a fortune.

Who needs to hit the lottery????
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 07:04:54 am »
The Phillips I showed has no bond wires, just some strip connections to the die that are welded to it and hard soldered to the header pins. Much more expensive to manufacture but a lot more reliable.

Offline blackice504

• Contributor
    • Storm Cell Systems
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 08:19:19 am »
I am reporting you to moderator as i found offense to your comment. NAH just joking but i do like my Hi-fi and i love it loud, Thanks first seen to back to the future.

But you do pull up a good point i am low on cash atm so lets do it lol, kickstarter here we come.

here is my sales slime pitch.

Our Transistors are designed using state of the art technology that is an infusion of different scientific fields all to bring you the best Quantum Transistor™ by Vincent Marco©1982 - 2015 PTY. LTD.
Based in America.

we will use 5 AWG bonding wire, that is a Karbon nano tubes so there is no loss and coated with gold because the gold gives a warm harmonic it also protects the Karbon Nano Tube.

we use a TO-3 for that old style vintage look plus we fill the TO-3 CAP with a refrigerant to improve heat dissipation, this ensures that the transistor stays at a stable temp to improve sound quality.

Because it has Triple-walled Karbon nano tubes in the transistor you not only get better sound but you save on power because as everyone knows Karbon nano tubes are super conductors but ours are so well made that they generate energy at the same time and it puts its the extra power back into your house while you listen to music, we also have been the only manufacture that does not get unwanted nano buds forming as this can lower the sound quality.

For those who help will receive a free shirt with company logo and a hat with company log.

For those who help with more then $100. you will get the above plus a cool E ski that has our cool company logo on it and a built in MP3/Radio powered by our Quantum Transistors™

For those who help with more then $200. you will get all of the above plus a Genuine Poster with EEVblog's Dave Jones Signed.

but we need your funding as we need to make a prototype since we never tested this <<<< in nano print.

In case anyone takes this serious i am not i just take jokes too far.........

Anyway i hope someone gets a kick from this.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 08:42:05 am »
AWG 5 you say ? hmmm.... but we'll have to make a bigger TO3 package then  :-DD

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 09:47:31 am »
Nice pics. A few months ago I've made pictures of a blown NPN BJT with my inverse microscope. The transistor was presumably blown by a voltage spike. It was switching an electric clutch in a realy big lathe.

The quality is much better in reality. In addition to the eyepice, you have a focusing screen (right term?) at the microscope too. The pics are taken from that screen.
Maybe you could try to chip off the burned part of the silicon and see if it works again ? :)
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 09:55:00 am »
I am reporting you to moderator as i found offense to your comment. NAH just joking but i do like my Hi-fi and i love it loud, Thanks first seen to back to the future.

But you do pull up a good point i am low on cash atm so lets do it lol, kickstarter here we come.

Our Transistors are designed using state of the art technology that is an infusion of different scientific fields all to bring you the best Quantum Transistor™ by Vincent Marco©1982 - 2015 PTY. LTD.
Based in America.

we will use 5 AWG bonding wire, that is a Karbon nano tubes so there is no loss and coated with gold because the gold gives a warm harmonic it also protects the Karbon Nano Tube.

we use a TO-3 for that old style vintage look plus we fill the TO-3 CAP with a refrigerant to improve heat dissipation, this ensures that the transistor stays at a stable temp to improve sound quality.

Because it has Triple-walled Karbon nano tubes in the transistor you not only get better sound but you save on power because as everyone knows Karbon nano tubes are super conductors but ours are so well made that they generate energy at the same time and it puts its the extra power back into your house while you listen to music, we also have been the only manufacture that does not get unwanted nano buds forming as this can lower the sound quality.

For those who help will receive a free shirt with company logo and a hat with company log.

For those who help with more then $100. you will get the above plus a cool E ski that has our cool company logo on it and a built in MP3/Radio powered by our Quantum Transistors™

For those who help with more then $200. you will get all of the above plus a Genuine Poster with EEVblog's Dave Jones Signed.

but we need your funding as we need to make a prototype since we never tested this <<<< in nano print.

2 kicks  :-DD  :-DD
1 your post.
2 your login.
WTF  where do you find blackice in Aussie?  :-DD

Go for the kickstarter, you'll make millions.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 10:03:34 am »

Maybe you could try to chip off the burned part of the silicon and see if it works again ? :)

It will work...............

Offline blackice504

• Contributor
    • Storm Cell Systems
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2014, 10:24:29 am »
AWG 5 you say ? hmmm.... but we'll have to make a bigger TO3 package then  :-DD

yes clearly that is a typo 15AWG   :-[ that will just squeeze in as i was looking around for buzz words and stuff about carbon nanotubes and i don't know about the subject like my comment on nano buds i don't know what they are i know they are real but it sounds bad so i made it bad.

i wanted to say 15AWG as i have some air coils that are 15awg and was thinking of them.

but again this is a joke but at the same time sorta sound convincing, like Marc Vincent is the sub/amp that Dave taken apart, hence i changed the company name to Vincent Marco.. the exact tactics these people use.

Offline blackice504

• Contributor
    • Storm Cell Systems
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2014, 10:37:29 am »

Based in America.

2 kicks  :-DD  :-DD
1 your post.
2 your login.
WTF  where do you find blackice in Aussie?  :-DD

Go for the kickstarter, you'll make millions.  :-+

Thanks i am glad you got a kick out of it....

Your must be thinking of the Canadian beer, i do know about it but it was after i was speaking to a Canadian who i am mates with now, he also asked about my name.

My name is simple if you understand that i am

A) Crazy
B) I am a Gamer.
C) i love space combat.

and funny side note i have 3 reasons how my name come together.

Black is well because i am Black.

Ice is cold and i killed people ruthlessly in Freespace 2 when it come out... hm i don't know the exact date but its older then 10 years since freelancer has to be at leased 10 years old another space sim.

504 this comes from my original clan that we had in Freespace 2 it was just some mates nothing too big.

add it all together Blackice504 it's just a nick that stuck for many years, but you do pull up a good point i really should try the Blackice beer but i herd it taste like shit.. Lets hope it does not.

No i did not write the blackice trojan..... i would never like to harm any computer that is just cruel. "besides i have only done light programming"

Anyway who wants to make millions with me lol. "someone better check my typo's"  :-DD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2014, 10:46:02 am »
FYI black ice is found on the road in mid winter, treacherous to drive on but I doubt there is much to be found in Aussie. That was the laugh for me.
Beer, well thats another matter.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf