Author Topic: Power supply 4 pole connectors, plugs and sockets  (Read 12872 times)

Offline akisTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Power supply 4 pole connectors, plugs and sockets
« on: March 24, 2014, 12:32:49 pm »
My son's new laptop uses a power adaptor with a very short lead and the adaptor is a huge brick. Almost anywhere we try to use the laptop, the kitchen table, breakfast table, dining room table, desks, the cable is a stretch and we have to place the huge brick adaptor (230 W) on the table near the laptop. This is very inconvenient. Even if we use a long mains lead it does not solve the problem of having the adaptor very close to the laptop.

I would like to extend the lead and was trying to find a male and female socket/plug to make an extension. However it is proving very hard. The lead ends in a female plug which is like this, but female

http://www.farnell.com/cad/1343760.pdf

The laptop has a male socket on it.

I have not been successful in finding the right plugs/socket/connectors in order to make an extension lead.

Short of cutting the existing lead and extending it this way, would anyone know where/how to get these weird connectors from?

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
Re: Power supply 4 pole connectors, plugs and sockets
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 04:34:13 pm »
Why not just cut the cable and insert an extension in between?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 07:06:52 pm »
That's what I said "short of cutting the lead...." :-)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 08:33:48 pm »
Perhaps the make/model of the laptop, or better yet, some photos of the connectors on the PSU and laptop as well, would help members link the correct connectors so you can make you're own extension cable for the output side.  ;)

Cutting the cable and extending it there would be the easiest way to go of course  ;), but may also be the only way to go if the connectors can't be located in anything other than 1k+ MOQ's once correctly identified (hopefully not the case).

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 09:01:55 pm »
Just took these pictures. The laptop is a Clevo something or other. It was custom made and they do not have any extension leads. The make of the PSU is Chikony maybe I could contact them if all else fails.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 10:42:21 pm »
Looks like a Kycon KPPX-4P (male), and a KPJX-CM-4S (female) will get you what you need (Kycon's site; last 2 connectors on the bottom). KPPX assy. instructions.

Farnell offers a Multicomp PM4490002-A05 (male equivalent), but not seeing the female equivalent (cable assy. type).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:20:25 am by nanofrog »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 01:01:04 am »
Unfortunately these are the opposite of what I need. I need the socket male and the plug female. Can't seem to find them anywhere.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 12:46:53 pm »
Can anyone help with this? I am looking for the female plug, 4 pins, slightly offset.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 05:19:28 pm »
I don't understand why you don't just cut the lead and solder in the extra length required using a similar gauge, tidying it all up with some heatshrink? That's a no-brainer to me. I mean, 5-20 minutes work at the most, depending on your soldering skills and equipment  :-//

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 08:06:52 pm »
Correct but I would be voiding the warranty and both laptops are less than a year old (and they have 3 years warranty). If I could just make an extension lead I would not have to mutilate the adaptor by chopping its output lead. Basically if I can find the necessary connectors I can then make the extension leads, and was thinking, before I take the cutters to it, have I really exhausted all possible places where they might sell such connectors? I will now write to the guys who sold me the laptop to see if they can suggest something.

Offline ElektronikLabor

• Regular Contributor
    • YouTube: ElektronikLabor
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 08:22:04 pm »
That's a very special connector; I don't think you could easily find a suitable counterpart for it.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 08:34:46 pm »
Those are ALMOST "custom" connectors. 
The chances of finding mating male and female, CABLE END connectors to make an extension cable fall somewhere between slim and none.
If you want to avoid voiding the warranty, then buy a "replacement" power brick and splice the extension into IT. 
I fear any other potential "solution" is not really practical.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 10:51:00 pm »
The shell & strain relief look like Mini-DIN, but I've never seen the heavier power pins like that before - they may exist somewhere.

Try this google for images - then follow links...  Mini-DIN 4 power
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 11:11:06 pm »
Nothing... I think it is easier to find the Holy Grail.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 07:21:33 pm »

...or not treat this laptops PSU and the absurd 36 month warranty that goes with it as some kind of penance you have to live with until the ordeal is over. Take off your hair shirt, modify the lead, live a little. It might feel really naughty and dangerous, criminal even. Perhaps celebrate your sticking it "to the man" with an extra sugar in your cup of tea and taste that sense of satisfaction. Throw caution to the wind. You only live once!

Just don't come back and blame me in a few years for encouraging your facial tattoos, nose rings, ear gauges, crystal meth addiction, and your wife leaving you..  :-DD
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:23:34 pm by Macbeth »

Offline loneoceans

• Contributor
    • Loneoceans Laboratories

Online ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 10:42:44 pm »
http://www.sears.com/navepoint-5-pin-mini-m-f-25-foot/p-SPM11041235030?redirectType=SRDT

Or similar, should be easy to find.

It's not a standard 4-pin DIN cable.  Same shell, I think, but the pins are much larger.  The Kycon part linked earlier looks right except for the genders being wrong.  I'd look to see if other manufacturers have crosses for those part numbers.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 11:13:32 pm »
None of those. Way out.

However the supply is made by Chicony who also have a European office in the Czech Republic. I have not found an email address but if these guys make them for sure they will know where the parts come from.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 03:07:04 pm »

...or not treat this laptops PSU and the absurd 36 month warranty that goes with it as some kind of penance you have to live with until the ordeal is over. Take off your hair shirt, modify the lead, live a little. It might feel really naughty and dangerous, criminal even. Perhaps celebrate your sticking it "to the man" with an extra sugar in your cup of tea and taste that sense of satisfaction. Throw caution to the wind. You only live once!

Just don't come back and blame me in a few years for encouraging your facial tattoos, nose rings, ear gauges, crystal meth addiction, and your wife leaving you..  :-DD

In the end writing to the suppliers elicited no replies, or "we can repair it for you or you can buy a new PSU for £55 + shipping + VAT" so in the end I took the wire cutters to it and extended the lead. That was a few months ago now.

The PSU is quite hefty: 19.5V DC @ 11.8A ! The cable has 4 cores simply to carry the current, I used an extension 10A, OFC, speaker cable, thought it was an overkill and only used 2 cores, and when the graphics card is on, now the cable gets hot !

Of course the fact that I used a 4m extension cable does not help matters... Anyway it is all good now.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 03:56:32 pm »
Could it be using 2 cores as sense wires to make sure it gets full voltage at the output?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 04:09:12 pm »
Sorry, I have reread my post, and I have made a mistake : the cable only has one core and one screen around it, but both very, very thick and heavy duty. It is the connector that has 4 pins to spread the current obviously 2 pins were not enough.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 03:15:05 am »
At least it doesn't use those damn awful "barrel" connectors!!
it seems they are specially designed to break!

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2015, 04:32:03 pm »
Buy a replacement power brick, cut the lead on that and extend it, that way you have the original power brick intact if you have to make a warranty claim.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2015, 04:42:05 pm »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf