Author Topic: Power tools question: B&D vs AEG  (Read 11291 times)

Offline made2hackTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Made2Hack
Power tools question: B&D vs AEG
« on: June 03, 2015, 12:57:52 pm »
Hello,

Wondering if anyone had any experiences with Black & Decker (made in Britain) or AEG (made in Germany) tools?

I'm looking at buying a second hand jig saw and found both a B&D and AEG for sale at around 25 - 30 Euros. So, whilst the price is not a huge factor, wondering if anyone had any experience with either one of these brands of tools?

Should I buy the German or British tool?

Or look elsewhere? I don't particularly want to spend big on Bosch or Hilti @ this moment.

Offline sync

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Power tools question: B&D vs AEG
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 01:15:23 pm »
AEG is only a brand name since decades. For power tools it's currently owned by http://www.ttigroup.com/.
Are you sure that it's made in Germany? That would surprise me.

edit: and TTI is Chinese: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techtronic_Industries
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:27:25 pm by sync »

Offline agehall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 02:36:46 pm »
I'd say AEG is better than B&D, which is really the crappiest shit you can find nowadays. (At least for what you pay for it!) I don't have much experience from AEG though, so I can't say for sure.

Personally, I only buy two brands of power tools: Makita for drills and impact drivers etc. Festool for everything else. I find it is soooooo much easier working with proper professional tools that I wouldn't look at anything else. Either I go for the good stuff or I won't buy the tool.

Offline noidea

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 03:14:08 pm »
AEG tools are decent as long as its pre TTI group takeover and made in Germany, even when they were owned by Atlas Copco a lot were still made in Winnenden and the only real difference between the Atlas Copco and AEG brands was the colour of the plastic (Blue not Black) the warranty period was less and sometimes slightly smaller motors.

I don't know much about British made Black and Decker, in Oz B&D has been a handyman brand for years whereas AEG up until Atlas Copco sold to TTI were still trade quality tools.

If you are looking for a good jigsaw for cabinet type work I would suggest that you keep your eye out for a used Festool (I can't afford them new either :) )

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 04:27:56 pm »
B&D is an American company that manufactures pretty much everything in China. Does anyone know anything they make in the UK? Their stuff is certainly cheap, but much of it is so nasty its not usable for even a few occasional home repair jobs.

Offline unit_399

• EL CAPO
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 04:57:51 pm »
B&D used to make quality tools. I have an old BD 1/4 inch drill that is at least 30 years old but still works perfectly. However, I bought a new BD 1/2 inch hammer drill that melted the PLASTIC brush holder in the first month. JUNK!!

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 05:05:41 pm »
Neither! I'd look for Festool for example. The German AEG is long gone. AFAIK, the brand is owned by Electrolux und licensed to tons of different small companies. Nowadays it's simply junk from China. B&D isn't much better. If you need a tool regularly, don't buy the cheap crap. It isn't even capable to cut straight, and it lacks power.

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 05:44:36 pm »
I'd choose : Hitachi , Metabo or Makita

/Bingo

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 06:04:44 pm »
Crap and Dumper, prefer the Bosch professional range ( not that much more price wise, but a lot better lasting. AEG,B&D, Ryobi are all the same OHL branded stuff these days, a use and toss tool.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 06:10:55 pm »
I'd choose : Hitachi , Metabo or Makita

Yep, also good brands.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 09:36:29 pm »
+1 for Festool (if you can afford it, they're the best with a large margin) and for Makita.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 08:24:36 pm »
B&D tools come in different quality grades - today I only know some of the cheap ones still use the B&D name. The better ones are branded DeWalt, but there where also good quality B&D professional.

So you have to look at the individual machines, not just at the brands. Even good quality bands sometimes have duds. Especially for the quick change on jig saws there were several not so good solutions that don't last long.

Offline made2hackTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Made2Hack
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 08:40:59 pm »

Figured I'd post a pic. One is the AEG STS 250 and the other is the B&D DN35S if anyone knows. THe first is 250W the second 300 - 350W.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 09:42:59 am »
Someone has bodged the AEG. Wrong cable and wrong cable lead-in, should be a heavy duty cable and a rubber sleeve as bend protection.

Offline Kibi

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 05:02:11 pm »
I have various tools.
Black and Decker drill is utter crap. The chuck keeps coming loose and releasing the tool. It's not really cheap, but it is rubbish.
My really old Hilti 12V drill is awesome. Runs like a machine. I actually need to refurbish the battery pack again.
The Makita SDS is just lovely.
My Bosch 18V consumer range (green) drill works well, but again, battery pack needs refurbishing soon.
For cheap tools, my Ryobi impact driver is surprisingly good for the price. I am very impressed with it! I was also given a Ryobi recip. saw and a drill driver for Christmas. These too are exceeding my expectations.
My Ryobi circular saw that I've had for ages just works.
My "Wickes" branded jig saw is the worst piece of shit that I own in the power tool department.

I have never owned an AEG, but I guess it's got to be better than Black and Decker.

Offline ronjodu

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 06:57:57 pm »
I've spent the last 40 years working every day with hand tools and power tools. I was a Milwaukee guy for most of those years but the last 10-12 years I've bought nothing but Hilti. They are the strongest both power wise and durability wise. I know they are $$$$ but well worth it if you'll be using the tool every day.
Just my 2 cents.. 8)

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 07:03:43 pm »
I've spent the last 40 years working every day with hand tools and power tools. I was a Milwaukee guy for most of those years but the last 10-12 years I've bought nothing but Hilti. They are the strongest both power wise and durability wise. I know they are $$$$ but well worth it if you'll be using the tool every day.
Just my 2 cents.. 8)
and they warranty is superb along with festool. but hilti's only worth the extra if you use it regurarly

Offline agehall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 08:06:26 pm »
I wouldn't mind running with Hilti for the brute force stuff, ie drilling and such, but I can't justify it. Makita is good enough for that for me. But Hilti is awesome stuff.

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 08:22:39 pm »
I've got many different power tools, and in my opinion, the blue Bosch jigsaw is really great (as in - the best). For angle-grinders i use Bosch too.
I really like Makita's drills and impact wrenches. Their batteryoperated grinder is shit though. Metabo's are much better in that manner, but i don't like their drills.

IMO there is not one brand that fits all.

Offline Orpheus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 02:32:57 am »
I bought a bunch of B&D power tools as a teenager at the end of the '70s, when I moved out of my "don't fix it, it's broken" parents house, They're hardly my best tools today, but hey all still run very well. I bought some more in the late 80's. All dead within 5 years. You don't need to do more than handle the current US models, tweaking and twiddling the business end and controls with the power off, to see that they won't hold up. I'd recommend anything else.

OTOH, I've tweaked/twiddled many Harbor Freight tools, decided that they were "good enough to use until see that I need something better', and many of those still serve me adequately today (I can't recommend any model #s: by the time they've proven themselves in my workshops, the new units in the stores may have been down-sourced to rubbish).

You can't choose a "cheap handyman" tool anymore unless you can check its construction in person.

Offline cful

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 12:58:44 pm »
B&D tools are ok, it is true, they can be so so, but for the price, you get what you pay for. If you are a serious hobbyist or a professional worker, you should probably look at more expensive tools. Personally, I used Milwaukee tools mostly, a couple of years ago I bought this kit (it sure costed a pretty penny, but for now it's worth it)
http://www.gasweld.com.au/m18pp6c-502b

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2016, 05:23:10 pm »
B&D tools are ok, it is true, they can be so so, but for the price, you get what you pay for. If you are a serious hobbyist or a professional worker, you should probably look at more expensive tools. Personally, I used Milwaukee tools mostly, a couple of years ago I bought this kit (it sure costed a pretty penny, but for now it's worth it)
It depends. B&D drills are OK for most work, but their saws are so poor they won't cut a straight line. I have found them entirely useless.

Offline Alfons

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 06:10:08 pm »
Just my 2 cents.. 8)

There were a whole range of AEG and Milwaukee, that were identical. No idea who has now built: Milwaukee or AEG. All very good equipment. As then AEG was acquired, some traders here in Germany sold out the remainders for very little money. So I could conveniently buy some equipment from AEG, all of which I have still in operation today, now over 15 Years. Good quality. Then of course I have had very good experiences with the Festool devices. The circular saw and the Rotary grinder are practically indestructible. I can recommend nor the equipment from Kress, good devices, but not cheap.

Offline cful

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2016, 12:45:43 am »
It depends. B&D drills are OK for most work, but their saws are so poor they won't cut a straight line. I have found them entirely useless.

Yeah, I meant B&D drills, just typed "tools"without thinking about it. Never used one of their saws, and I think I never will  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf