Author Topic: preheater for ca. $1000 or less  (Read 1547 times)

Offline lacekTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
preheater for ca. $1000 or less
« on: April 03, 2018, 03:46:38 pm »
Hi,
I need a preheater to work on multilayered boards and other things with large heatsink. Currently I own a T8120 preheater which does it job, however when it operates, it awfully stinks (like a $5 chinese frying pan when overheated). Not wanting to get cancer, I am willing, if needed, to spend more money on a preheater, however  would prefer not to significantly exceed $1000.  I would like to ask the community to recommend a preheater, preferably convection one (but I am fine with an IR). There are two types of choice:

Option one is something smaller along the lines of JBC PHS preheater with approx 15x15 heating plate (approx $1100)
Option two would be something along the lines of JBC PHB convection preheater with a heating plate slighly larger than A4 paper (pretty pricey - at least $2500).

Is there a "serious brand" equipment which will not stink or in general give me cancer in a different way with these parameters, but something cheaper than JBC? My google searches tell my that there seems to be a major gap between $200 and $2500 equipment (with a few Ayoue models for $500).

My workflow would be hot air station in one hand, tweezers in other, and preheater under both of them (so controlled size of the heating plate would be a nice option).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 03:51:34 pm by lacek »

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
Re: preheater for ca. $1000 or less
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 06:25:23 pm »
Hi,
I need a preheater to work on multilayered boards and other things with large heatsink. Currently I own a T8120 preheater which does it job, however when it operates, it awfully stinks (like a $5 chinese frying pan when overheated). Not wanting to get cancer, I am willing, if needed, to spend more money on a preheater, however  would prefer not to significantly exceed $1000.  I would like to ask the community to recommend a preheater, preferably convection one (but I am fine with an IR). There are two types of choice:

Option one is something smaller along the lines of JBC PHS preheater with approx 15x15 heating plate (approx $1100)
Option two would be something along the lines of JBC PHB convection preheater with a heating plate slighly larger than A4 paper (pretty pricey - at least $2500).

Is there a "serious brand" equipment which will not stink or in general give me cancer in a different way with these parameters, but something cheaper than JBC? My google searches tell my that there seems to be a major gap between $200 and $2500 equipment (with a few Ayoue models for $500).

My workflow would be hot air station in one hand, tweezers in other, and preheater under both of them (so controlled size of the heating plate would be a nice option).

Wouldn't you be able to "burn off" whatever is making the stinking by running the preheater at some high setting, for a long time, outside?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 07:48:59 pm »
I am not sure, most likely yes, but I have no idea how long would it take. In case of a frying pan with a plastic handle it would take I guess years to evaporate the handle. Anyway I can still return it and I think I will use that option and if I keep it I would have to survive the warranty period before I try to optimize. Most likely it is wiring or paint.

Offline mairo

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 02:54:05 am »
I own JBC PHS (3-4 years now) and very often rework 6 layer boards with 2oz external and 1oz internal copper with no problem. It works very well, but the only complain  I have is  the IR light that is annoying to the eyes to work with (probably need to use special googles?).

PACE PH-100 (Eurocircuits eC-pre-heater) are another pricey option minus the IR issue I am having with the JBC PHS (not sure if the PHB version will have similar 'problem').

.. a pancake maker used to be my preheater for many yeas before I got the JBC. It works well with no IR eye irritating issues, but otherwise no much to the JBC.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 11:22:08 am »
Pace is at JBC price level ($2000 level) - that is a little bit too much for me. Something for $500-$800 would be better (of course something for $200 would be best, but this is chinese area - doubtful if something decent can be found there).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf