Author Topic: proper floor type for casting steel and concrete hydrates?  (Read 7228 times)

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: proper floor type for casting steel and concrete hydrates?
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2018, 01:16:05 am »
Relevant footage:

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2018, 03:33:04 am »
the way that industry is run is pretty bad

i am assuming there is not people allowed on the floor when that is working.

no there is clearly an ant man there :scared:

death trap successfully tested: probability of t-1000 elimination guaranteed.

man I read those books for like 5 minutes and they even say to put a trench under the path where the thing goes. this is a joke. you can probably put a cat walk over a trench to catch 95% of that.

What the hell did the safety board say 'nah the catwalk is too dangerous because 3 inch steel might rust through when we don't maintain it after 50 years of operation'?

also look how clean that air extractor is, there is like hundreds of pounds of flammable metal dust on it. and you can't see anything when it falls.

'clean casting operation is a safe casting operation', anyone that accepts otherwise is delusional.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 03:41:00 am by coppercone2 »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2018, 05:15:06 pm »
Relevant footage:

Tim
I can't quite tell whether it's a catastrophic failure of the equipment or whether the operator dislodged something when he bumped the crucible. I can't find more about it on Google either. I did find various other videos though.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2018, 05:47:55 am »
If you're talking about the latter video, the crucible was fine. That looked like a catastrophic failure of the mold. Perhaps trapped moisture causing a steam explosion.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2018, 05:53:36 am »
As far as a trench under the path of the crucible, I'm guessing that would be a nightmare for large scale work. For small scale it would be a good idea. But dropping 20 tons + of molten steel into a trench is likely to end up with a permanently filled trench. The cost to remove it would be astronomical compared to just cutting it up and lifting it off the floor.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2018, 09:32:26 am »
why? you can just use oxygen lances to cut it, and it should never spill and if it does spill you need to have a serious expensive safety review, employee retraining, root cause analysis, probably psychological examinations anyway

there should be no way that cost can over ride a factory workers feet being tidal waved by something at 2700F. no shoes and pants are gonna stop that. That cost alot and it could have easily killed someone. The ones in subsequent videos are small compared to the one in the gif.

and the way the russian plant is built, they should just close that shit and make the engineers farm potatoes, who makes a sprinkler of molten steel that travels along the factory floor?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 09:39:06 am by coppercone2 »

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2018, 09:43:09 am »
it would be nice to see the metal without the smoke with some kind of filters so you can see how it bounces around so you can design the spill containment better.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2018, 06:16:40 pm »
It is not as simple as you think. I can tell you have little experience in this area. An oxygen lance will cut through EVERYTHING in its path, including the floor. Getting it out of the trench would have to happen first. Good luck with that. Jamming a pry bar under a piece of steel on a flat floor to lift it is relatively simple in comparison.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2018, 06:19:10 pm »
how many spills do you expect in the life time of the plant? who cares if some bricks get cut through??? use a big magnet to pick it up? (they have them on little cranes you can drive around or attach to a fork lift. You can even drill holes in it and put some kind of anchors or screws in it with impact hammers and lift that up in little segments.

so you ruin a freaking brick floor as a result of a major accident. Do you consider it normal for a giant cauldron of steel hanging from the ceiling to spill all over the floor? It should NEVER happen anyway. It looks like satan took a shit on the fucking floor.

how cheap are these places if they can't result to cut a floor apart????? It's a giant factory. Its one of the biggest industries. How can they not afford this??

I know how a thermal lance works but I don't see the value in the fucking floor.

I dug a trench before. I put down brick floors before. What the hell are you talking about this is low skill labor you contract out to illegal immigrants. 

the problem is there is probably something like a 15 million dollar rickety antique executive table some where. you can drive a scoop in there for gods sake, its a huge factory. They are scared mr. burns is going to drive his wood smoke powered peugeot into the factory and see they stopped using cheap child labor.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 06:37:05 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2018, 06:23:40 pm »
If you're talking about the latter video, the crucible was fine. That looked like a catastrophic failure of the mold. Perhaps trapped moisture causing a steam explosion.
I was talking about the video in the post I quoted. The last video is obviously a mould failure. It's less dramatic than the huge crucible spills, but still a good way to lose your feet.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2018, 11:55:40 pm »
Again,  it's clear that you have no experience in this area.  You can continue to get perturbed about that if you wish. I'm done with this one.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2019, 07:39:06 am »
 :-DD

#dirtyslum
#1800s
#drone

look ma! i found a living brontosaurus!!

btw a crypic 'how the industry works' might be confusing to those not fluent in corporate. it is something along the lines of assaulting a camera man and releasing the dobermans. Especially if its in regards to unimaginably large cauldron of molten steel potentially damaging a floor. Employee safety: tertiary objective.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 08:04:44 am by coppercone2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf