Author Topic: Proxxon bench drill TBM-220  (Read 27322 times)

Offline GKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Proxxon bench drill TBM-220
« on: November 26, 2014, 11:28:13 pm »
Anyone here use this unit for PCB drilling?

http://www.proxxonworld.com.au/product/bench_drill_tbm_220_220-240v

Is it well built and stable enough to drill reliably and smoothly with carbide bits?
Also the 10 minute on/off 50% duty cycle is a bit of a concern. I wonder if that was specified as an afterthought after owners started toasting inadequately engineered motors.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 07:24:02 am by GK »
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline GKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Proxxon bench drill TBM-220
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 07:23:48 am »
Well I bought one, along with the accessory additional chuck. I did a search and comments from the few users around that use this unit for PCB drilling reported that it is satisfactory.

Offline Balaur

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 10:02:15 am »
I have one. It's OK. Very stable, nice and smooth action and rather good build. Please don't judge but I also love the smell of the belt (yeah, it's belt driven and you can change speeds).
Of course, you absolutely need good bits to drill the PCBs.

I'm also using it with the KT70 X-Y table as a poor man milling machine/router. For simple plastic and wood stuff is sufficient.

I used to praise Proxxon a lot, but I'm a bit unsatisfied about the quality of the latest stuff I've bought from them.

Offline GKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 10:40:00 am »
Good to hear that the drill is OK. How hot does the motor get? I hope it really is the belt, rather than the motor that makes the smell  ;D

Offline Balaur

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 11:56:13 am »
Good to hear that the drill is OK. How hot does the motor get? I hope it really is the belt, rather than the motor that makes the smell  ;D

I don't think that there is a problem when the motor is running empty or drilling casually for large periods of time. I didn't noticed any particular heating problem when working with large PCBs (half hour use ~ some hundred holes to drill?)

I've been a bit rough on it when used as a router to make some holes in aluminium panels and it got hot, that's for sure. But again, it was a rather tough 3mm panel with large holes; up to 10 minutes of cutting time per opening. It went OK.

Cheers

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)

Offline Balaur

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 02:27:56 pm »
- http://www.proxxonworld.com.au/product/drill_stand_mb_140_s

I have bought both of them for work. That stand really disappointing me. It had rough motion and the plastic bit on the handle screwed on the wrong end. Plus, it sways in the gentle breeze of your breath. I'm joking about the last part, but you got the idea.

Plus, that Micromot tool is IMHO a bit under powered for drilling PCBs if you don't have the adequate drill bit. The 12V transformer doesn't help too much as well. I use them on 18V from time to time.

Online ttt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 02:32:27 pm »
I use this generic chinese mini drill press (DR300), it's about half the price:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MINI-DRILL-PRESS-BENCH-COMPACT-JEWELRY-HOBBY-CRAFTS-TOOL-3-SPEEDS-MAX-8500-RPM-/181449527822

Adjustable speed and works just fine for PCB drilling with carbide PCB drill bits. It runs fine for 20+ minutes at a time. Likely deal breakers: it's 110V only, more noisy and does not include any vise. Build quality is so so, but it's beats a Dremel in a stand hands down stability wise.

Sales pitch and demo:

I recommend to get a XY compound table and compatible vise(s) suitable for PCBs if you for instance drill long rows of pin headers. A good one will cost you about the same as the drill press itself.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 03:03:46 pm »
i'm using proxxon  MB-140/S drill stand + FBS 240/E drill + kt70 cross table , in addition to the FBS240 drill i have a micromot 50/E drill as well.
i'm more than happy with the tools

Offline mathsquid

• Regular Contributor
  • I like math.
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 04:40:46 pm »
I have a Proxxon MF70 micro milling machine, and it's a very good machine for precision drilling.  It also works really well for cutting veroboard traces.

Offline timcki

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 05:48:51 pm »
I use a proxxon "Drill stand MB 140/S".   I had an old Black and Decker version of a dremel tool ..... used that and voila!! PCB drill press.
This oscilloscope isn't telling me anything all I see is a squiggly line....

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 10:06:25 pm »
I have had a TBM 220 for a couple of years now. Does the job very well. I find that 8500rpm (fastest belt setting) is more than adequate for drilling with carbide bits.
The only con I have found is that (on my unit) the cast iron base doesn't stand exactly flat. One of the "feet" (if you could call them that) is a tad shorter than others, so it needs support under it when I'm using it. But that's just my unit, I'm sure yours won't have this problem.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline Flump

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 12:39:19 am »
for the guys in the uk these look good

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271564625285

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 06:41:00 am »
I haven't seen this drill in action, but I have used my friends FBS240 on a MB140 stand and it's and awesome piece of kit. We've measured runout at a ~0.005m but it may not necessarily be representative since the drill was being used for several years before the measurement. Anyway - we've used 0.25mm carbide drills without bigger problems.

Proxxon tools are very high quality, but  bit pricey in hobby category (at least in Eastern-European economical setting).
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline Stupid Username

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 07:23:34 pm »
I haven't seen this drill in action, but I have used my friends FBS240 on a MB140 stand and it's and awesome piece of kit. We've measured runout at a ~0.005m but it may not necessarily be representative since the drill was being used for several years before the measurement. Anyway - we've used 0.25mm carbide drills without bigger problems.

Proxxon tools are very high quality, but  bit pricey in hobby category (at least in Eastern-European economical setting).
I own Proxxon FBS240 & MB140 and I'm pleased with it, price is not that bad (even for a student from far eastern part of Poland). A set of hardened drills like this one

will last you forever if you're just doing hobby PCB work.

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 07:59:15 pm »
Dude,  your nickname is really bad.  Not a fan of Catholic Church either,  quite the opposite,  but ur nickname is pushing it too far.
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline GKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 10:52:40 am »
I picked this thing up from the post office this morning and drilled my first board with it this afternoon. The base of mine is nice and flat though I found a couple of big blobs of blu-tack necessary to stop the unit drifting across the bench top (I don't have a space ATM to permanently bolt it down). It seems a well built, solid and sturdy unit, though it does get quite hot with prolonged use. The enclosed motor isn't properly ventilated and the cast aluminum body acts as a heatsink. After 15-20 minutes of continuous PCB drilling at the highest RPM gearing the body of the drill was too hot to comfortably hang on to.

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 05:25:27 pm »
As hobbyist, I use a cheap drill like this to drill holes of 0.8 mm at 2620 rpm.
No problem at all.
http://www.promobutler.be/fr/magasins/Hubo/foreuse-sur-colonne-pow-302-1153026

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 07:20:36 pm »
As hobbyist, I use a cheap drill like this to drill holes of 0.8 mm at 2620 rpm.
No problem at all.
http://www.promobutler.be/fr/magasins/Hubo/foreuse-sur-colonne-pow-302-1153026

i'm considering a similar cheap drill for larger diameters (3 mm diameter and higher) and for sure those are good for small diameters as well, but if someone has the budget, then a proxxon (separate drill + stand) is a better choice because the speed upto 20k RPM is good for drilling, engraving, cutting, grinding...

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 07:43:19 pm »
I believe Lady Ada has the TBM220 and they were singing praises about it.

I have the Micromot tool + the MB140 stand as I wanted a bit more universal (and cheaper machine), because I am not drilling boards all that much to justify a dedicated drill press. Moreover, the Micromot goes up to 20000 rpm (the mains powered version, there are 12V versions too!). This combo is surprisingly good. The mounting collar for the Micromot looks a bit flimsy, but it is fairly steady, no wobble, vibrations, nothing while in use. Big  :-+ to German workmanship here!

The only stupid design mistake on the MB140 stand is the lever that releases the Micromot spindle from the collar - it frequently drops down and gets in the way while you are lowering the tool down about to drill. Nothing that a rubber band won't fix, though.

I have been to BHV store in Paris where they have a large section dedicated to these "hobby" power tools from Proxxon and Dremel, you can even try them out there. The plasticky, crappy Dremel accessories are really no contest when compared with the Proxxon gear - and the prices are not that much higher. If you need a good tool and have the money, you won't be disappointed, IMO.

The larger gear like the lathe or the milling machine - I am not sure how good deal those are. For the prices they are selling them for you can likely get a used full sized machine off eBay ... But I am pretty sure that they are well made as well.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 09:21:23 pm »
The only stupid design mistake on the MB140 stand is the lever that releases the Micromot spindle from the collar - it frequently drops down and gets in the way while you are lowering the tool down about to drill. Nothing that a rubber band won't fix, though.

there is an extremely simple and elegant solution ;) see attached pic.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 09:22:36 am »
there is an extremely simple and elegant solution ;) see attached pic.

Not a bad idea, although it will probably get annoying if you are removing the spindle often. Maybe a wingnut would be better? Have to test it on mine.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2014, 09:33:04 am »
i'm considering a similar cheap drill for larger diameters (3 mm diameter and higher) and for sure those are good for small diameters as well, but if someone has the budget, then a proxxon (separate drill + stand) is a better choice because the speed upto 20k RPM is good for drilling, engraving, cutting, grinding...

Careful with the Proxxon Micromot tools - they don't take larger than 3.2mm bits. I think the TBM 220 can take larger bits up to 6mm with the optional chuck, but that costs extra. You can perhaps find larger bits with a 3mm shank, but I don't recommend doing that - the hardware isn't built for it and you will wear the expensive machine out very quickly.

If you need to drill larger than 3mm, you will likely want a full sized drill stand, not one of these model-sized ones - the larger bits needs quite a bit more oomph to cut properly and also much stronger structure because of the forces involved. I have a regular electric drill for the occasional larger hole - I pre-drill on the drill stand a smaller pilot hole and then hand drill the large one. However, if you need it more often, then a drill stand/dedicated machine is, of course, better.

Offline StanleyAdams

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2014, 05:38:08 pm »
I use a cordless Dremel with the 220 drill press stand. You'll read reviews that the stand is not stable, precise etc. I've never found any of it to be true true. Though it may have problems with the corded rotary tools  :-//. It works quite well for PCB drilling and is as precise as you will be. The proxxons are supposedly very good as well. If you're going to use any of these make sure you get good carbide or hard metal drill bits. Most thin HSS bits break very often which is annoying.

I use these:
http://www.banzaimusic.com/Hard-metal-drill-0-8mm.html

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2014, 07:52:27 pm »
I use a cordless Dremel with the 220 drill press stand. You'll read reviews that the stand is not stable, precise etc. I've never found any of it to be true true. Though it may have problems with the corded rotary tools  :-//. It works quite well for PCB drilling and is as precise as you will be. The proxxons are supposedly very good as well. If you're going to use any of these make sure you get good carbide or hard metal drill bits. Most thin HSS bits break very often which is annoying.

If your HSS bits break, that only means that either you aren't drilling straight, you are using too low RPM or the stand is vibrating too much, putting too much lateral strain on the bit. For PCB drilling carbide is better, but only because it won't dull as fast as HSS. I am using regular HSS bits in my Proxxon stand and never had one break so far.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf