Author Topic: Question about two capacitor brands (pics included)  (Read 16846 times)

Offline SharpEarsTopic starter

• Supporter
Question about two capacitor brands (pics included)
« on: October 10, 2014, 01:34:32 am »
I just purchased a batch of electrolytic capacitors from two Chinese brands and was wondering if you guys had any experience with them.

They are JWCO and Chenxing and here is how they look (click the thumbnails for full-screen images):

Front:

Back:

I purchased these new (10/2014). Please let me know what you think of these brands and their quality and longevity. I intend to use them for my projects and to replace other leaky caps as I find them. Am I going to get moats of electrolyte around these caps in six months or are these brands at least half-way decent?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:52:52 am by SharpEars »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Question about two capacitor brands (pics included)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 04:52:46 am »
Both are mystery brands, you might have a good batch that will last 2 years at room temp, or you might have the one made on a regular day, which will meet spec ( barely) when new, but fail in under a year. If used in undemanding applications ( like on a mains transformer supply doing 500mA max) and well derated they might last 2-3 years before failing. I have used them before, and they are only good for low demand applications where you do not need low ESR or high current handling or even capacitance stability.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 05:08:24 am »
Both are mystery brands, you might have a good batch that will last 2 years at room temp, or you might have the one made on a regular day, which will meet spec ( barely) when new, but fail in under a year.
+1.

Pay the extra 50 cents and get quality brand name caps.  Stick with Panasonic, Nichicon, United Chemicon and/or Rubycon from reputable distributors like digikey, mouser, etc.  Buying these brand name capacitors off ebay is likely to be counterfeit (98% chance or more).

edit: PS. When showing pictures, show the top vent and bottom bung.   The 4 brands above have distinct characteristics with respect to both and can be used to tell the real thing from counterfeits.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 05:50:28 am by retiredcaps »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 05:38:10 am »
Those are not name brand. So it's pot luck. The end.

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 01:19:26 pm »
Those are not name brand. So it's pot luck. The end.

Sounds more like pot luck chosen from the leftovers from last week's dinner   :-BROKE . I guess as you would say, I've just been swindled by "one hung low" and the gang.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:24:17 pm by SharpEars »

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 01:22:46 pm »
Both are mystery brands, you might have a good batch that will last 2 years at room temp, or you might have the one made on a regular day, which will meet spec ( barely) when new, but fail in under a year. If used in undemanding applications ( like on a mains transformer supply doing 500mA max) and well derated they might last 2-3 years before failing. I have used them before, and they are only good for low demand applications where you do not need low ESR or high current handling or even capacitance stability.

And yet these are the sort of caps one finds in most inexpensive modern day equipment...

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 08:05:58 am »
What is the warranty on equipment these days? 1 year is pretty much the defacto standard ( generally only because it is in law) and the suppliers gamble that of the consumers that would return something that has failed in that period most would not be able to produce a receipt, often because it is printed on thermal paper that will fade to white in six months. I have learned from experience to run those through a copier to make a more permanent record. That and use a store that is able to look back through my purchase history pretty much since the year dot and tell me what I bought, where I bought it and how much I paid and how. Confuses the direct marketing that I am the company refreshment buyer, so my purchases disappear in the bulk. Asked them the biggest buy and they replied sugar. I do not use it at all. Also do not drink the tea I buy, I get small packs of either Rooibos, green or Earl grey.

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 01:53:37 pm »
From a quick search of badcaps.net, Jwco seems to be an older and possibly slightly better than Chenxing, although they're both not great.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf