Author Topic: Questions about x-y tables use with generic small conventional drill press  (Read 3188 times)

Offline cdevTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
Hello,

I have been reading about x-y tables and it seems as if one would be useful to have to use for removing PCB copper for very simple PCBs involving RF traces. It seems that the proxxon Kt-70 is actually a good deal in this product space. However, I'm not using a proxxon drill, I'm using a cheap Harbor Freight drill that has a swiveling work platform and I'm wondering - if I bought it or something similar, what would I do to attach the two together in a way which was easy to remove when I wasnt using it. Has anybody else done this? 

Also, it seems to me that this setup is not really a good one for doing any kind of metal milling apart from very very light duty front panel hole enlargement (cases/cabinets for electronics)  I would rather have a slightly larger platform which could be used for slightly larger PCBs and maybe upgraded with motors in the future than get a heavy duty vise for doing metalworking, especially since the advice seems to be mixed asto whether its even safe doing anything that applies sideward force on a cheap drill press.

What kind of bits would I use for making a PCB trace (flat ones, presumably?)  Is the Proxxon a good choice? It looks very similar to some others that look maybe a bit bigger and maybe made with more steel, less aluminum?

I like the fact that it appears to come with some clamping hardware.

My drill platform has two linear slots on its platform (and base) 4 inches apart (and the hole in the center) Some vices have holes that would path those slots but the proxxon doesn't appear to.

Currently I have the drill press attached to an old desk. Its an 8 inch press. So if I didn't use its platform I would need to raise the X-Y table up quite a bit. That doesn't sound so optimal for strength and rigidity.  Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have "no" experience with machining anything.this is my first foray into this.

It would be nice to be able to remove the x-y table when I needed to but if its a PITA then it might make more sense to just leave it on most of the time, if I could get it mounted well.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
I have an MF-70 with the KT-70 x-y table. It's attached with 4 hex screws into threaded holes on the base of the MF-70. The holes are spaced approximately 3.25 inches apart side to side and 2 inches apart front to back.

About 2.25 inches additional rear clearance past the screws is needed. Even more room is needed in front because the handle to adjust the front to back position extends below the bottom of the table's base.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
I have an MF-70 with the KT-70 x-y table.

Just a question, the mf70 is always pictured with the kt-70 table, does it come with it, or do you need to buy it separately?

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
I purchased the MF-70 around 10 years ago and it came with the KT-70. As far as I know, it's standard equipment.

One thing you should be aware of is that it's made for small items. The y travel distance is less than 2 inches. The x is more generous. I usually have to do some creative flipping around and frequent repositioning, since I use the MF-70 for routing pc boards, milling front panels, and other things that are much larger than the table was made for.

• Super Contributor
  • !
rdl,

That is really nice work on the LCD panel! Yes, being able to undertake projects like that using plastics would also be really nice.

I can deal with the flipping items if there really isn't anything which allows bigger travel with acceptable accuracy/build quality unless I spend substantially more. I'm on a very tight budget. 

The ability to do a microstrip neatly would also be very nice. Etch out two lines, drill via holes.. Super quick and simple.

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Questions about x-y tables use with generic small conventional drill press
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 04:18:09 pm »
Hi, I wanted to tickle this old post of mine in order to ask if any newer and better solutions have come along.

An update, I purchased a cheap x-y table a few months ago for around $30 but it proved to be so flimsy and badly designed that I sent it back. Now I am thinking that a cheap computer controlled mill that can etch out PCBs might be good, I have no problem with learning as I go, however, if I get one I want one that I can also use for cutting acryllic, to make cases, i.e. one that I can fit a laser to.

Hahaha  here is an Ave video about the one I sent back.. (the 6300 model)

I would prefer one that I could expand over time bit by bit making it into a CNC. I'm also on a really tight budget.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 03:49:34 am by cdev »

Offline Mjolinor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 04:26:24 pm »
I have had dozens of these. They are like the KT70 but slightly bigger and they are obviously copied off it.

Very easy to stick steppers on. I use them for a photographic macro rail that I make using an ESP12 for control.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cross-Worktable-Milling-Working-Table-X-Y-Axis-Sliding-Table-Drilling-Machine/201823380322?hash=item2efd9c6362:g:28wAAOSwK6RZFB5Q

They are unmistakably Chinese in origin but you can adjust things and mess with them for a one off that is quite accurate with minimal backlash.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 04:39:58 pm »
I thought they were a good value too.

I bet its ideal for photography.

The one I bought was the one step lower version of that, it was the 6300, the one you have is the 6330.

I think it is made by Liyang. Which is a pretty big company. The lime green tools seem to be theirs.

Did yours come in a box labeled "MyCNC" ?

I had some issues with mine but, of course, both would matter much less if it was motorized.

On mine, the handles which screwed into the knobs, unscrewed themselves..

And the plastic cover over the screw in back rose up and binded when I tried to move it in the y direction. So that was problematic. The plastic cover would need to be removed and replaced with something else.

However, the table did fit my drill base perfectly. I think that for plain drilling, if the other two issues could be resolved, that model would be an excellent choice.

Have you ever tried the 6350 unit? Thats the one they recommend in the manual for doing any kind of machining.
At least they are honest about its suitability for whatever.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 05:17:46 pm by cdev »

Offline Mjolinor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 04:43:39 pm »

I have not seen any with problems with the covers and the knobs are not screwed on, they have a grub screw on the ones I bought.

As I fit steppers I haven't really considered it "as is". I just drill the end of the threaded bar and put the NEMA17 stepper directly into it.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 05:05:46 pm »
And for that its pretty good?

Have you ever tried the step up model, which I think is the 6350?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf