Author Topic: Quick TS1200A soldering station - Cheap JBC/Pace/Hakko alternative?  (Read 11071 times)

Offline 小太Topic starter

• Contributor
I was looking to get one of those fancy direct-heating type irons (JBC CD-2BQE, Pace ADS200, Hakko FX-951), but I baulked at the price to get them in Australia (prices in USD for easy comparison):
ModelUS ($USD)AU ($USD)
JBC CD-2BQE~450~450
Pace ADS200~250~450
Hakko FX-951~250~350
US Pricing from TEquipment; AU Pricing from Mektronics.
Buying from the US and shipping it over would end up costing an extra ~$100 anyways, so no point trying to import.

But then I stumbled across the Chinese-made Quick TS1200A (not the TS1100!), which also claims to be the direct-heating type, costing only ~$250USD to get it in Australia! (It can even be had for just ~$150USD if you buy directly in China - search for the 快克TS1200A)
It also seems to have a better interface than the (similarly priced in the US) Hakko FX-951, albeit it lacks physical buttons in lieu of fixed touchscreen buttons.
But of course, the selection of available tips are way less than the alternatives (only 15?), though at first glance they might be compatible with Hakko tips?

Does anyone have one of these irons? Is anyone able to do a review of them?
How does it compare with the JBC/Pace/Hakko? Does it accept Hakko tips?

(There also seems to be a TS1200 without the A suffix, though I'm not sure of the difference between it and the TS1200A are)

Update: Given the replies on the thread so far, I've decided to summarise what I've learnt (including the Hakko FX-950 and KSGER T12 as well) with updated prices as of 2020-10-04

ModelUS ($USD)AU ($USD)Tip Cost ($USD)Power (W)Notes
Pace ADS200~300~600~20120
JBC CD-2BQE~450~450~35130Short tip lifetime?
Hakko FX-951~250~400~2570Poor user interface
Quick TS1200A + JBC T245/C245~300~350~35120Short tip lifetime?
Quick TS1200A~250~250~15120Low quality tips, but compatible with JBC T245/C245
Hakko FX-950N/A~250~2570No actual temperature readout
KSGER T12~100~100~2570

So it sounds like the KSGER T12 is best value for general purpose work, while the Quick TS1200A for brute power/speed.
However, the Quick can be "upgraded" with the JBC handles and tips, while still USD$100 or 25% cheaper than the full JBC station.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 05:20:09 am by 小太 »

The following users thanked this post: lukego, Chris Roubis

Offline Daruosha

• Regular Contributor
Re: Quick TS1200A soldering station - Cheap JBC/Pace/Hakko alternative?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 09:05:51 am »
I had the same curiosity and ordered a tip to see the pinout and check the heating element resistance, it turned out the tips are not T12/T15 or T13 compatible and the heating element has 2.0 Ohm resistance (similar to C245 tips).

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 03:28:15 pm »
The Pace ADS200 starts from $206 USD at tequipment as we get 6% EEVblog discount. If Mektronics is too expensive try asking for a discount, say you are from the EEVblog electronics community.

I don't think it's going to be better than the JBC or Pace, the Hakko is a 75W station and anything is better than that gui.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline plurn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 04:46:00 pm »
A lot of the Quick 861DW hot air stations available are clones of genuine Quick, so I would not be surprised if there are clones of Quick soldering stations too. Something to be careful of.

Anyway I don't have experience with that soldering station. Would also be interested to hear reviews.

Another model for you to consider:

Hakko FX950

Not talked about much because it is not available in USA. But it is available in Australia and I think it is a better model than the FX951 as it does not have the confusingly implemented digital interface. Otherwise it is the same performance and just misses out on the auto sleep mode (optional) and the new style metal wool tip cleaner. FX950 is quite a bit cheaper than the FX951. Also because this model has flown under the radar, I don't think anyone has cloned it. Though best to buy from an authorised distributor.

Mektronics website seems to be broken at the moment for me, but an archive of their site indicates the price on special from there last month was AU$319.00 (Ex GST)  (US$227). AU$350.90 inc gst.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190327234658/https://www.mektronics.com.au/soldering-rework/hakko-stations-irons

You would need to budget for some tips which are not included. Maybe another ~AU$20 for a hakko metal wool tip cleaner holder to fit in the iron stand if you want one of those.

http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_fx950.html
https://www.hakko.com.sg/media/wysiwyg/Manual/FX950.pdf

Offline dicky96

• Regular Contributor
    • Learn Electronics Repair
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 09:43:37 am »
I've also come across the Quick TS1200A while researching which high powered soldering station would be a good addition to my workshop

I do a lot of soldering on motherboards and similar PCBs with a very high thermal mass.  I get along mostly OK with my aging 60W ZD-916 though I often have to use my hot air station to do a bit of preheating before I can get my iron and wick to clear all the solder out of some through holes

So I was going to buy a one of these new-fangled T12 station like the KSGER T12 (and probably will anyway because they are cheap and have lots of available tips and you can't have too many soldering irons  ;D ) but i also looked into Hakko 951, Weller and JBC stations.

The Weller uses old technology tips - I'm not sure I should be buying it
The Hakko I am not sure it would work any better than the cheap T12s (its the same wattage and tip technology)
The JBC it's just too expensive in the EU.  In fact it's just too expensive anywhere

Then I came across the Quick T1200A.  This seems to tick a lot of boxes, it is 120W, it is direct drive technology, it has a reasonable selection of tips at reasonable prices, and it claims to be ideal for motherboard and similar high thermal mass rework.  And it's a reasonable price for an high end station (190 euro delivered, at the moment).  And Quick 861DW hot air is held in high esteem so you would think the Quick soldering stations have a good pedigree, right?

So of course I wanted to watch some videos and read some reviews.  And that's where I stumbled.  Apart from a coupe of videos on youtube showing how to set the menu options there is just no real info out there.  This thing should have similar power and capabilities to the JBC at a price that the enthusiast can justify (and afford) but it seems to have been pretty much universally ignored.

Searching this forum doesn't show up any useful info regards the Quick TS1200A.

Why is it being pretty much ignored?  Does anyone here have one? Dave couldn't you review this one vs the Weller or JBC on one of your blogs or isn't it interesting enough?

Maybe I should just buy one anyway and find out for myself?

Hmmm
Rich
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 09:49:31 am by dicky96 »
Follow me on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: Chris Roubis

Offline Daruosha

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 12:33:57 pm »
I've also come across the Quick TS1200A while researching which high powered soldering station would be a good addition to my workshop

I do a lot of soldering on motherboards and similar PCBs with a very high thermal mass.  I get along mostly OK with my aging 60W ZD-916 though I often have to use my hot air station to do a bit of preheating before I can get my iron and wick to clear all the solder out of some through holes

So I was going to buy a one of these new-fangled T12 station like the KSGER T12 (and probably will anyway because they are cheap and have lots of available tips and you can't have too many soldering irons  ;D ) but i also looked into Hakko 951, Weller and JBC stations.

The Weller uses old technology tips - I'm not sure I should be buying it
The Hakko I am not sure it would work any better than the cheap T12s (its the same wattage and tip technology)
The JBC it's just too expensive in the EU.  In fact it's just too expensive anywhere

Then I came across the Quick T1200A.  This seems to tick a lot of boxes, it is 120W, it is direct drive technology, it has a reasonable selection of tips at reasonable prices, and it claims to be ideal for motherboard and similar high thermal mass rework.  And it's a reasonable price for an high end station (190 euro delivered, at the moment).  And Quick 861DW hot air is held in high esteem so you would think the Quick soldering stations have a good pedigree, right?

So of course I wanted to watch some videos and read some reviews.  And that's where I stumbled.  Apart from a coupe of videos on youtube showing how to set the menu options there is just no real info out there.  This thing should have similar power and capabilities to the JBC at a price that the enthusiast can justify (and afford) but it seems to have been pretty much universally ignored.

Searching this forum doesn't show up any useful info regards the Quick TS1200A.

Why is it being pretty much ignored?  Does anyone here have one? Dave couldn't you review this one vs the Weller or JBC on one of your blogs or isn't it interesting enough?

Maybe I should just buy one anyway and find out for myself?

Hmmm
Rich

I have a pretty bad addiction of buying soldering irons every once in a while and this iron is available in a shop nearby my workplace at a cost around 150USD (equivalent). And I'm constantly talking to myself: "you don't need yet another soldering iron with whole different set of tips!! don't do it...", but you know, why not. I'm gonna pull the trigger and save you from the darkness :D

will post my opinions soon.

The following users thanked this post: lukego

Offline maxspb69

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 12:54:25 pm »
I bought this station, used it for 4 weeks and sold it .

The main unit  and the soldering handle are made very high quality, station have  good circuitry, advanced menu and outstanding color graphics display. But there are two very big drawbacks of this station:

1. Extremely low quality tips and very few of their types.
2. The capacitive touch sensor in the handle does not always work reliably and it happens that the station goes into sleep mode when the soldering iron is in your hands.

There is a positive point: the station works correctly with JBC C245 series cartridges. Tested by me - no problem.

If you install a JBC T245-A handle and solve the capacitive sensor problem, it will be a very good cheap "JBC-clone" soldering station. Using original Quick tips is almost impossible due to the poor quality of the tips themselves.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:56:21 pm by maxspb69 »

The following users thanked this post: Daruosha, dicky96, I wanted a rude username, 小太, slobans, Chris Roubis

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 10:07:00 pm »

The main unit  and the soldering handle are made very high quality, station have  good circuitry, advanced menu and outstanding color graphics display. But there are two very big drawbacks of this station:

2. The capacitive touch sensor in the handle does not always work reliably and it happens that the station goes into sleep mode when the soldering iron is in your hands.

There is a positive point: the station works correctly with JBC C245 series cartridges. Tested by me - no problem.

If you install a JBC T245-A handle and solve the capacitive sensor problem, it will be a very good cheap "JBC-clone" soldering station. Using original Quick tips is almost impossible due to the poor quality of the tips themselves.

Just bought the Quick TS1200A soldering station and it doesn't have the type of handle you've described. Mine (Soldering Pencil TSS30B) goes to sleep after a pre-adjusted time and  has to be actually moved to come out of sleep. Also I would like to know what type of tip came with your TS1200A . The type of tip that came with mine (GQ-TSS02-J) look like the T12-Jl02 tip but with a broader end.  Also there seems to be as many choices as T12.https://www.grovesales.co.uk/pdf/product/TSS02-tips.pdf
Later on  plan on presenting a tear down and test but have nothing to do a comparison. I'm waiting for a tip temp tester .

After further handle tests I indeed found it to be capacitive.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 10:28:09 pm by Jwillis »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, dicky96, Chris Roubis

Offline cpposteve

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 11:14:31 pm »
i dont see how the jbc tips will work as you discribe, as the jbc tips have a completely different end that slides into the handle compared to you normal quick tips. confuded :wtf:

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 11:54:00 pm »
i dont see how the jbc tips will work as you discribe, as the jbc tips have a completely different end that slides into the handle compared to you normal quick tips. confuded :wtf:

yeah all of these look different.

Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline cpposteve

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 10:27:19 pm »
yup, basicly only quick tips will work from what my eyes can see

Offline Chris Roubis

• Contributor
  • Chris Roubis
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2020, 12:16:00 pm »
Been looking at the QUICK TS1200A 120W tonight on ebay
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Quick-TS1200A-120W-220V-LCD-Touch-Digital-Display-Soldering-Station/164288577175?hash=item26405cbe97:g:gI0AAOSwi7RfDHQ8

Only $320 AUD?

I think I'm gonna get one... just watching this review I found first
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 12:18:02 pm by Chris Roubis »
Electricians have longer fuses

Offline Chris Roubis

• Contributor
  • Chris Roubis
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2020, 12:33:31 pm »
Even cheaper on Banggood  :-+

Offline Chris Roubis

• Contributor
  • Chris Roubis
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2020, 01:14:40 pm »

Just bought the Quick TS1200A soldering station and it doesn't have the type of handle you've described. Mine (Soldering Pencil TSS30B) goes to sleep after a pre-adjusted time and  has to be actually moved to come out of sleep. Also I would like to know what type of tip came with your TS1200A . The type of tip that came with mine (GQ-TSS02-J) look like the T12-Jl02 tip but with a broader end.  Also there seems to be as many choices as T12.https://www.grovesales.co.uk/pdf/product/TSS02-tips.pdf
Later on  plan on presenting a tear down and test but have nothing to do a comparison. I'm waiting for a tip temp tester .

After further handle tests I indeed found it to be capacitive.

Just found instructions how to adjust sleep time and sleep temp here @4:43 of clip:
https://youtu.be/tF3fRVhrc9c
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 01:16:46 pm by Chris Roubis »

Offline 小太Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2020, 04:18:27 am »
Perhaps maxspb69 meant that the Quick accepts the JBC T245 handle, which then allows successful use of the C245 tips?

I've recently found out about the (also Chinese) so-called "T12 soldering stations" (especially the KSGER), that accept the Hakko T12 tips but have far better interfaces.
Price actually seems even cheaper than the TS1200A too! But only 70W power (compared to 120W of the Quick).

So given maxspb69's experience with the Quick's tips:

So the tradeoff here seems to be:
 - KSGER T12 + Hakko tips: High quality tips, but only 70W
 - Quick TS1200A: Low quality tips, but 120W

It sounds like the KSGER is better for general-purpose use, while the Quick is useful where high power or speed is important

(I've also updated the first post with an update summary table)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 05:16:37 am by 小太 »

Offline totalnoob

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2020, 03:09:20 pm »
I am not sure where you are getting the "70W" from, KSGER from Aliexpress is 120W, unless they are overstating the wattage and your figure is what others have measured. :-//

Offline 小太Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2020, 07:47:22 pm »
I am not sure where you are getting the "70W" from, KSGER from Aliexpress is 120W, unless they are overstating the wattage and your figure is what others have measured. :-//

The T12 tips are only rated for 70W, which is where I got the number from.
No idea if the KSGER will try to force it to 120W regardless, but if it does, I would be pleasantly surprised (unless it also reduces the tip lifetime...)

The following users thanked this post: totalnoob

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2020, 12:40:00 am »
The Ksger is ~70W soldering station. 120W is just the power supply rating which in this case is meaningless as the cartridges won't get close to 5A running at 24V.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: totalnoob

Offline kosmonooit

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2021, 06:17:43 pm »
SDG just did a review

https://youtu.be/KDr1moXr0QA

The following users thanked this post: SteveyG, thm_w

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2021, 10:50:28 pm »
if u wanna go cheap and reliable by factory stock - go pace ads200, it just works, as intended for assembly line class solderiron.
if u wanna izisqeezi cheap hobby - go china t12, but chinese tips suck, u will eventually need some genuine (t12-WD 52 works well comparable to higher powered stations)
if u wanna cheap and stable - use quick 203/302 etc semi-induction - tips cheap as nails, works reliable
if u wanna smith tips by ur own out of copper nails - use weller LT series or smth (too specific usage)
if u wanna highest efficiency and mil-grade soldering on assembly line - use JBC 245 and choose tips VERY precisely ( example - i have 5 different tips each one i use each for only 1 specific operation, but all of that operations could be done with one standard knife tip)
if u wanna be "lookatmeimluxury" buy metcal, but no mil-grade for u :-DD
if u wanna soak out maximum efficiency for $$$ - buy chinese t12/245 controller, high quality transformer PSU, clone jbc 245 handlepiece, and genuine 245 tips.
as u see there is no place for quick 1200 here(and hakko too) - u can plug in jbc handle, but its not a solution for its price.

thats all folks.

t12 tips are around 8,5 ohms, so at 24v have ~70 watt output, they go 100 watt at 30v, but obviously dont last long

p.s. jbc tips are 130 watt only if heated with AC 30v voltage, if station runs 24v dc, they can run up to 250 watt(and heat conduction for 6mm highheat chisel tip is about 90w)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 11:05:01 pm by wickated »

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2021, 09:49:17 am »
if u wanna be "lookatmeimluxury" buy metcal, but no mil-grade for u :-DD

Metcal is commonly used in Aerospace and Military  :-//
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf