Author Topic: Radio Shack Wire Wrap Tool Discontinued  (Read 13651 times)

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Re: Radio Shack Wire Wrap Tool Discontinued
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2015, 07:39:05 am »
Ok KL27x,

Looks like you made a wire wrap addict.  I ordered a manual wire wrap tool along the lines of what you described.  It was ok but it didn't seem as nice as what you demonstrated.  So, in looking around I discovered a Standard Pneumatic 620.  It's a very nice size - very comfortable and enjoyable to use - and it delivers 2500 RPM on 2.5 Volt rechargeable batteries.  We're talking high speed wire wrap!  It requires a small investment in wire wrap bits and sleeves (at least one of each) but the system will go from 18 gauge to 32 gauge, and supports both standard and modified wraps.   Made in the U.S.A. - maybe in the early 1980s.

Heck, a few weeks ago I didn't even know I needed to do any wire wrapping  ^-^

Seriously, if you like wrapping you're going to love the 620.  It's fast, flexible (spans the gauges), does a great job, it's easy, and FUN :-+

EF
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:50:24 am by Electro Fan »

Offline fivefish

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2015, 09:43:09 am »
I've never experienced/used wire-wrapping and I've been into electronics since the 80s as a high schooler. I started with PCBs. Can someone post a video of this in action?  Do you need a special board for this? How do you wire-wrap IC chips? And what's the advantage over a breadboard? -- honest questions.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2015, 01:52:50 pm »
This looks like a reasonably good brief history and introduction to wire-wrapping. Wire-wrap is orders of magnitude more reliable than those little plug-in "breadboards" that are popular today for hobby use.

https://youtu.be/IXvEDM-m9CE

A generation of mainframe computers were manufactured with wire-wrap back-planes. On the front side were individual PC boards around 7 x 15 cm with metal TO-5 can transistors organized into a flip-flop, or a pair of gates or a hex inverter, etc. Rather a pre-cursor to 74xx and 40xx series discrete logic chips of a later generation.

Then hundreds of these boards were plugged into a large frame (often hinged for access to both sides)

Then, on the BACK side of these frames, the logic gate boards were interconnected with wire-wrap to create the computer...

These are photos from an IBM 1620. One of which I maintained in the early 1970s.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 01:54:24 pm by Richard Crowley »

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2015, 04:18:19 pm »
Richard, that is great electronics/IT history.  It's amazing to think that pretty much right up to the time that IBM introduced their PC in 1981 most computers (mainframes) were made with discreet parts and wire wrapping.  Those are some very good photos you posted.  From tubes to solid state and from discreet to ICs, add Moore's Law, then tons of software riding on ever more MIPS, then throw in the same effects on bandwidth and the geometry of networking - and here we are - using the underlying technology to meet people from all over the world, find information pretty much on demand, and learn new things.  Very Cool  :)

- it might have been hard to get through the first (discreet) part of the process to the later (IC) part of the process without wire wrapping and wire wrapping tools

Fire, wheel, wire wrap tool, EEVblog :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:20:19 pm by Electro Fan »

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2015, 04:32:59 pm »
The next generation after those discrete boards were thick-film hybrids as shown in Dave's EEVblog # 638.
That was a board from an Apollo Saturn V rocket, but it was the same technology used in IBM (and other brands) mainframes of that era.

https://youtu.be/U-3_2UtTMtA

There were even semi-automated wire-wrap machines, a very early form of X-Y-Z robotics.

Offline KL27xTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2015, 06:17:27 pm »
I've never experienced/used wire-wrapping and I've been into electronics since the 80s as a high schooler. I started with PCBs. Can someone post a video of this in action?  Do you need a special board for this? How do you wire-wrap IC chips? And what's the advantage over a breadboard? -- honest questions.

Well, to be honest, wire-wrapping is pretty slow compared to soldering. Even with a motorized wrapper, you have to load the wire into the tip of the tool.* But it's useful for the home lab in certain situations for temporary and/or replaceable connections, attaching temporary headers, making connections between header pins and solder points, or for making lots of connections on a breadboard without growing a huge plate of spaghetti. You would do this by sticking pin headers into the breadboard along the components and then wire wrapping the jumpers. Another place I might use it is for power leads/probes. I have banana plug leads that terminate in header pins. Besides using in a breadboard, the way I typically use them is to attach wire-wrapped sacrificial 30AWG wire to the end for when the most expedient connection to the circuit are small soldered connections. The modified wrap provides strain relief, and when you have broken/cut the wire so many times, you can remove it and wrap a new piece in place. 

I always figured the larger gauges were more of a specialty thing, because they have to go over a square pin of the right size/spacing.

*I used to have some old wrap tools that were different, by OK Industries. They were a blue plastic pen with a wire wrap bit on one end and a small spool loaded with wire on the other end. The wire was continuously fed through the back end of the wrap bit, so it didn't have to be loaded for each connection. I got them in an auction, and they didn't come with any instructions, but they came preloaded with wire. I could be totally wrong, but what I gathered is they were intended for use with polyester or vinyl insulated 30AWG wire, like what they came loaded with. There was a little brake switch to hold the wire. You would wrap the insulated wire to a square post, and the pressure of the wrap was high enough to force the conductor to split the insulation to make connection to the post. So the first wrap would be upside down, so to speak. Then on your second wrap, you would engage the brake when done, and your final twist would break the wire. Neat idea, but the wraps took up a lot of post and I didn't find the resulting connections to be 100% trust-worthy without stringent technique. I might still have one, somewhere.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:21:56 pm by KL27x »

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 08:01:50 pm »
Just reporting in on more new wire wrapping experience.  I decided to try the OK WSU-30M; it's a nice tool.

I had a problem probing and grounding two pins on a small board - the probe clip held firmly but the Rigol ground clip wanted to wiggle loose to make contact with the adjacent pin so I made a small jumper with the 30M, some 30 gauge kynar wire, and an extra pin.  I'm still getting the technique down (I like the modified wrap with 1-2 turns of insulation to make a more durable connection), and although it didn't completely clean up the signal it's pretty helpful to have the wire wrap capability.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 08:17:00 pm by Electro Fan »

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2015, 03:39:34 am »
In the late 70s and early 80s I produced fairly large multi-board systems, with hundreds of ICs, where the boards and backplane were entirely wired up with one of these http://www.cedar--rapids.com/Industrial-Equipment-/Cedar-Rapids-District-/Communication-and-Networking-/Ok-industries-battery-operated-wire-wrapping-tools-2.PHP That tool was really quick and comfortable to use, reliable, and produced really great cold welds. Right after wrapping a joint you could really feel the welds breaking one by one as you unwrapped the wire. It wasn't a very expensive tool.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf