Author Topic: Recommendations for an EEPROM burner?  (Read 20528 times)

n45048

Re: Recommendations for an EEPROM burner?
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 08:25:14 pm »
You'll find most computers and hubs will provide more than 500mA these days. The USB hub in my Dell monitor for example will provide up to 1.5 amps which is more than ample.

Taking all your comments into consideration, I'm sorry you just haven't sold me. Even with the pricing from AliExpress, I'd still rather pay the extra $13 for the other unit. On paper, it's just a better product. Comparable brand-name units are well over the $400 mark. There is a lot of value in both the Batronix and Wellon units but why settle for a lesser product over such a small cost? Even the aluminium case itself is worth the additional cost, not to mention the warranty and better software.

It seems that you're biased towards a product you already own. Post-purchase rationalisation is very common.

Anyway, I'll post a mini tear down once I receive it for those who are interested in the Batronix BX32P. It'll make for an interesting comparison I think. Or we both loan our units to Dave who can do teardowns and comparisons in a 'shootout' episode (Dave, interested?).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:36:38 pm by Halon »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 09:20:10 pm »
On paper, it's just a better product.
On paper it is Batronix which is worse because it supports less ICs. And frankly their marketing innovation of counting ICs supported just pisses me off. First page of their chip support list is just hilarious, to count the same IC in the same package as 60 different IC variants is just something unheard before. Only advantage would be funky aluminium enclosure, although I wouldn't be happy if piece of metal is laying around on the desk when I'm working with some board under voltage.  If you ever need to program some microcontroller or more exotic memory chip, you will need to buy another programmer. As of TL866A, you could buy almost 3 of them at Batronix price and if it fails just buy another one. And it supports more ICs too. Dave made a review/teardown of it in some 4xx episode. Actually is quiet good internally. Maybe you are not familiar with programmer market but wider IC support is worth A LOT. The same hardware with some additional 10% IC support enabled can easily cost 2-3x of the price. Just like with oscilloscope when option cost (which is already implemented but disabled) may cost more than actual oscilloscope itself.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2015, 09:28:09 pm »
It seems that you're biased towards a product you already own. Post-purchase rationalisation is very common.
I recommended Wellon because I know that they are good and offer more functionality for the same money. Few of my friends use Wellons for a long time. And Wellon exists since 1998, actually longer than Batronix.
Anyway, I'll post a mini tear down once I receive it for those who are interested in the Batronix BX32P. It'll make for an interesting comparison I think. Or we both loan our units to Dave who can do teardowns and comparisons in a 'shootout' episode (Dave, interested?).
My Unit is VP-490 (VP-590 for china market which cost me $340 IIRC instead of 2x more for worldwide version http://www.kanda.com/products/Wellon/VP-590.html). You won't find it on their English website but it works with English software. It supports a lot more, especially more exotic IC's and have fully universal drivers on every pin. VP-290 have a bit simpler hardware with simpler pin drivers. I cannot loan it because it is workhorse and I would need to buy something else instead.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:43:38 pm by wraper »

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2015, 09:42:07 pm »
I recommended Wellon because I know that they are good and offer more functionality for the same money. Few of my friends use Wellons for a long time. And Wellon exists since 1998, actually longer than Batronix.

I'm pretty sure the Wellon software is still developed in Canada. The story I heard was that the programmer contracted for a large company and he retained ownership of the code. When the contract failed he started Wellon with or using a Chinese manufacturer.

In any case they are good programmers both in quality and software.

Offline nadona

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 06:46:42 am »
I don't recommend GQ-4X.
Minutes ago I pulled out two 27C256 EPROMs from my DMM to see if newer version of firmware solve the problem but it miserably failed to write them |O |O |O :palm:
Ha-ha-ha. That's good, too!

Offline Harrkev

• Contributor
  • ASIC Design Engineer
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2015, 07:00:08 pm »
Hi.  Newbie to the forum here, and I have not used a programmer since my University days.

Is there a consensus as to which low-cost USB-based programmers work well with Windows 8.1 x64?  That is my ONLY computer right now, and I do not really have the space for another one.

I don't want to drop $50 on a TL866 just to find out that it does not play nicely on x64.  Any suggestions on this?

Thanks.

n45048

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2015, 09:20:08 pm »
Hi.  Newbie to the forum here, and I have not used a programmer since my University days.

Is there a consensus as to which low-cost USB-based programmers work well with Windows 8.1 x64?  That is my ONLY computer right now, and I do not really have the space for another one.

I don't want to drop $50 on a TL866 just to find out that it does not play nicely on x64.  Any suggestions on this?

Thanks.

Your guess is as good as mine Harrkev. Unless they specifically specify that it works, I wouldn't take the risk. Just yesterday I was trying to get some software for a cheap Chinese product to work (it wasn't a programmer) and it would sometimes work under Windows 8 whilst sometimes it just didn't load, no errors, no obvious reason, just didn't work.

I guess with the bigger companies, you're paying for that extra support and application development. For example, Batronix claim to update their software every few weeks (new IC support, app fixes etc...). Their freeware application supports Windows 8 32 and 64-bit (http://www.batronix.com/shop/software/prog-express/index.html)

That was another reason I chose the Batronix product over the others: Their software support. I can use it either on my main desktop machine or on just about an other computer I own.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:23:19 pm by Halon »

Offline netdudeuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2015, 12:21:23 am »
My own experience is that the TL866 software does not work with my Windows 8.1 x64 system. The software loads ok and you can pick devices, etc but for some some reason that I don't remember, I ended up having to use it on my 32 bit netbook.  Maybe it was a driver issue but I'm really not sure.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2015, 12:58:57 am »
There is x64 driver included fer TL866, so likely should work. As of not working, how long time ago it was? Probably they fixed software since then.

Offline Harrkev

• Contributor
  • ASIC Design Engineer
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2015, 03:48:13 am »
For example, Batronix claim to update their software every few weeks (new IC support, app fixes etc...). Their freeware application supports Windows 8 32 and 64-bit (http://www.batronix.com/shop/software/prog-express/index.html)

That was another reason I chose the Batronix product over the others: Their software support. I can use it either on my main desktop machine or on just about an other computer I own.
The Batronix "low cost" devices don't seem to support PAL/GAL devices.  Kind of a deal-breaker for me.  Thanks for the reply, though.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 03:51:05 am by Harrkev »

Offline netdudeuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2015, 08:31:04 am »
There is x64 driver included fer TL866, so likely should work. As of not working, how long time ago it was? Probably they fixed software since then.

About a year ago.  I've now got the next version (latest) on the netbook so I'll try it on the x64 system and see what happens.

Offline netdudeuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2015, 12:53:49 pm »
I had another look at this.  The reason that I didn't get it working was that I decided not to trust their drivers on that machine.  Today though, I downloaded the latest software via the Help menu option, installed it and accepted the driver.  It now works fine on my Windows 8.1 x64 system.

Offline Harrkev

• Contributor
  • ASIC Design Engineer
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2015, 01:35:47 am »
I had another look at this.  The reason that I didn't get it working was that I decided not to trust their drivers on that machine.  Today though, I downloaded the latest software via the Help menu option, installed it and accepted the driver.  It now works fine on my Windows 8.1 x64 system.
Hey.  Thanks.  In that case, I will get one in the next week or two.  I appreciate it.

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2015, 12:16:29 pm »
Thanks for this thread. I have been needing to purchase a new programmer myself.
In the early 90's I bought a MOD-MEP-4 from JDR Microdevices.  It is a 4 gang programmer and has a ISA card to interface to the pc.  Designed for 286 machines but did run on 386 and 486 below 500 MHz's. Down side I ran out of old computers  |O

n45048

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2015, 12:40:34 am »
The Batronix "low cost" devices don't seem to support PAL/GAL devices.  Kind of a deal-breaker for me.

That's right, support for PAL/GAL start from the BX48 programmer. Although I found a quote that might still be of interest to you from another thread:

Hi there,

Didn't see any reply on the Batronix question, but I am using Batronix programmers DAILY, and they are incredible innovative and versatile. Software is great, AND: the support from this German company is absolutely GREAT.

I had an EPROM that was NOT in the database, and in 1 hour or so, they ADDED it to the database, and I was able to read-out that special EPROM. Mention one company that does this for their customers!!
The Batronix BX48 can also detect defective pins and resistance, so a real hardware check of any eprom.

It programs PLD, SPLD, EPLD, GAL, PALCE, and also microcontrollers.

Even for tuning car-engines that are controlled by EPROM based firmware, there is an incredible add-on file that enables you to finetune a car-engine. Really amazing device.

If people are interested in a BATEGO BX48, I have a couple of them, and I am willing to sell one of them for peeps that are really interested, of course for a very interesting price.....

Let me know.

Rgds

tulipman / PA3BKL

Original thread here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/batronix-bx48-universal-programmer/

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2015, 01:53:09 am »
If people are interested in a BATEGO BX48, I have a couple of them, and I am willing to sell one of them for peeps that are really interested, of course for a very interesting price.....

Let me know.

Rgds

tulipman / PA3BKL

Original thread here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/batronix-bx48-universal-programmer/
Wrote member who just registered, dug 2 years old tread and made his single post ever to advertise that he have a one to sell...
But realistically, I would just prefer programmer which supports more IC's out of the box. For the price similar of BX48 Batego II which seems to be top of theirs single socket models, for example, one could buy Wellon VP-896 which support virtually everything (100K+ ICs). Their top BX48 Batego II seems to have pretty short support list considering those inflated 50k should be divided by at least 4 to be comparable with others. The sad thing is that Batronix do not even have better model with wider IC support, all they do have are multi socket BX48 derivatives. Therefore if you don't know what IC you would need to program tomorrow that is not good choice at all.

n45048

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2015, 04:45:30 am »
Wrote member who just registered, dug 2 years old tread and made his single post ever to advertise that he have a one to sell...

I don't think you're making the point you think you are.

All I can recommend to anyone looking to buy one is do your homework (you should be anyway). I know it sounds obvious but so many people don't. There is no one product that is "the best". It depends on your needs and priorities.

For me, I was after a good quality product with well-written and comprehensive software. The warranty and support was also fairly important. I probably won't be programming any "exotic" devices but the option to have them added is useful but since the device I purchased currently supports just under 24,000 devices, it was a good starting point.

Price was less of an important factor for me but I still had a rough price range in mind. I didn't need it for PALs/GALs or PLDs so it was a feature that wasn't high up on my priority list.

Consumer reviews can be useful but it pays to verify details from independent sources. Claims are sometimes unfounded, assumed or the user simply doesn't know what they are talking about. YouTube is great as you can see the items in action.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 04:56:10 am by Halon »

n45048

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2015, 07:12:48 am »
So my programmer arrived today (Batronix BX32P) along with a Lawtronics ME5E UV eraser. I've had both out of the box for about 30 minutes and my first impressions are positive.

The programmer is extremely well built and solid as a rock. The aluminium case feels thick and sturdy. Rubber gaskets wrap around the device which also acts as anti-slip feet. The entire thing just looks and feels great. The software that came with it includes a couple of different versions depending on what you want to do. For simple jobs, the (freely downloadable) Prog-Express is very easy to use. The more advanced Prog-Studio also ships with the device which is a far more advanced and comprehensive tool.

It also came with Eagle Layout Editor for designing PCB's, an ANSI C compiler and Batronix Ghost-User which allows the user to automate user interactions.

The eraser is just a basic UV light box. I was a little disappointed that it didn't ship with a power lead but it takes a standard IEC anyway. There is no on/off switch apart from a micro-switch inside the unit. When the tray is closed, the UV source is on. It did the job of erasing an EPROM in just a couple of minutes. Not bad for the price. Solid construction.

Offline Sigmoid

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2016, 10:32:59 pm »
Could someone give me a review of the Wellon vp 290, beyond the "Fords or Nissans are better" kinda kindergarten stuff that was going on in most of the thread?

I'm at the point where I think it's time to get an eprom burner, and I really need PLD programming too, so nice and german as it is, the Batronix won't do. I'm a bit worried about software quality and support (Windows 7 only in 2016 spells "abandonware", even when I do in fact have, and intend to keep, a Win 7 notebook on hand..)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf