Author Topic: Recommendations for an EEPROM burner?  (Read 20522 times)

n45048

Recommendations for an EEPROM burner?
« on: January 10, 2015, 01:13:16 am »
I bought a 64NIC+ adapter for my Commodore 64 (it's basically just a network interface) but it also allows loading programs from an on-board 28 or 32-pin EPROM/EEPROM/Flash when installed in the ROM socket.

The drama I have is that I haven't got the means to be able to write my own ROMs. The last time I used a EEPROM burner was over 15 years ago.

Any suggestions? Anything in particular I should be looking for in a product?

(Details of the 64NIC+ adapter at http://www.go4retro.com/products/64nic/ if anyone is interested)

n45048

Re: Recommendations for an EEPROM burner?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 02:14:56 am »
Thanks Wilfred, I'll check them out.

Otherwise if I was to get something a little less 'one hung low' any recommended brands?

n45048

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 04:13:28 am »
OS support isn't too critical to me. I'd even be happy with an old Serial/Parallel unit of decent quality. I have old machines which run DOS and Windows XP (I even have an old XT floating around).

Ideally if I was buying a brand new unit, it would have support for Windows 7 64-bit.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 04:44:03 am »
This is the one Dave reviewed. Cheap and can test a fair number of 74 / 4000 series logic. Handy to have adapters as well.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/High-Performance-USB-TL866CS-Universal-Programmer-with-7-Adapters-for-12000-ICs-/170898487771?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ca57f9db

Offline corax

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 05:13:34 am »
I recently bought two cheap (well under $100 US) device programmers off of ebay:
- Minipro TL866A
- Genius G540

The TL866a was far better- a lot faster at programming 29F040's and the Windows application was not so prone to crashes.
It is also supported by this open-source Linux project: https://github.com/vdudouyt/minipro
This provided a nice simple Linux command-line interface for programming a chip; much easier for me than the Windows GUI when I had a couple hundred
flash chips to program.

The difference between the TL866A and newer TL866CS  seems to be the presence of a port for an in-circuit programming cable on the -A; this was apparently removed on the -CS version.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 05:17:54 am by corax »

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 05:25:38 am »

Offline mojoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 02:56:25 am »
I also have a GQ-4X (had it for more than a couple of years). It works just fine on Win7 x64 and they update the software fairly regularly. If you need something that isn't listed, they have a forum for support and often tell you what to add to the config file for your particular chip.

Joe

I use one of these GQ-4X. Supports up to Win7

http://stores.ebay.ca/EPROM-Programmer/GQ-4X-True-USB-Willem-Programm-/_i.html?_fsub=298606219&_sid=101150119&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

It's a Canadian company.

Offline quarks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 03:57:38 am »
Does anyone have experience with this Batronix unit? Or something similar with Win7/8 or Linux support?

I use the BX48 with WIN7 and can highly recommend it. It is working great, very fast, top notch build quality, Bartronix also gives very good support and seem to update chip support on your request very quick.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 07:14:25 am by quarks »

Offline uknerd

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 01:23:37 pm »
I bought a tl866 after daves review its been a fantastic little unit very happy with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline netdudeuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 03:57:21 pm »
I'm really pleased with mine too.  I've used it for EPROMs, EEPROMS and GALs.

I believe that I have the latest version of the software and for a reason that I cannot remember (drivers ?) it does not work on my Windows 8.1 X64 machine.  It loads ok.

It's fine on my Windows 8 32-bit netbook.

n45048

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 11:30:26 pm »
I can get the Batronix BX32P (http://au.element14.com/batronix/bx32p-barlino/programmer-bx32p-barlino-ii/dp/1374014?ost=1374014) from Element14 for AUD$172.00.

Seems like a fairly well built and spec'd product for the price.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 11:35:54 pm by Halon »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 11:55:05 pm »
I can get the Batronix BX32P (http://au.element14.com/batronix/bx32p-barlino/programmer-bx32p-barlino-ii/dp/1374014?ost=1374014) from Element14 for AUD$172.00.

Not better than chinese stuff at 5x of the price. Maybe only faster programming would be an advantage. At such price I would probably look for some wellon instead. Would get much wider device support and decent build quality. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wellon-Programmer-VP-290-VP290-Car-Diagnostic-Tool-Free-Shipping-/181210526081?hash=item2a30fd3181&item=181210526081&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr
Device support list: http://www.weilei.com/VP-290list.htm
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 12:01:24 am by wraper »

Online Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 01:40:06 am »

+1 for the TL866A

The TL866A price depends on what adapters you need but you might be able to get one for about half the price of the BX32P (I don't have any experience with the B32P - it looks good - maybe it is better in some respect?).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TL866A-USB-Universal-Minipro-Programmer-EEPROM-FLASH-8051-AVR-MCU-GAL-PIC-SPI-/221197938454?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33806caf16

- the seller has multiple listings - check to see which listing has the adapters you need
- you can also check to see if the TL866A supports the chips you will be using - they have a pretty long list of supported chips
- sunwenjun is a good seller; he answers inquiries - send him a question in advance to see if you get a good reply
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 01:41:40 am by Electro Fan »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 02:00:25 am »
Adapters can be bought separately, they are not programmer specific in 99% of the cases. One shall also check what are those branded adapters sold at ridiculous price. For example, elnec sells so-8 atapters for ~80 Euro with exactly the same brand and model zif socket as few bucks worth Chinese adapters.

n45048

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 02:43:51 am »
    Not better than chinese stuff at 5x of the price. Maybe only faster programming would be an advantage. At such price I would probably look for some wellon instead. Would get much wider device support and decent build quality. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wellon-Programmer-VP-290-VP290-Car-Diagnostic-Tool-Free-Shipping-/181210526081?hash=item2a30fd3181&item=181210526081&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

I have to disagree. The Wellon product just looks cheap and nasty.

On a face value comparison:

Wellon VP-290
    • Costs AUD$206.66 delivered
    • Supports 15,845 Devices (as at December 2014)
    • Made in China
    • Warranty ??
    • Software supports Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 (32 & 64-bit)

Batronix BX32P
    • Costs AUD$172.00 delivered
    • Supports 22,856 Devices (as at June 2013)
    • Made in Germany
    • 5 Year Warranty
    • Software support for all versions of Windows from Windows 98SE to Windows 8 (32 & 64-bit) plus Linux and Mac OSX

I don't see the point of even considering the one hung low product. Am I missing something?[/list]
    « Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 02:48:44 am by Halon »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
    « Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 03:06:03 am »
    Wellon have good construction, I own higher end model and internal construction is good, enclosure is solid. I have borrowed VP-290 predecessor VP-280 too.
    22,856 Devices my ass  :-DD
    Yeah, like in the picture attached. Chinese also "upgrade" chip count the same way but seem to have a bit more conscience compared to "Germans". I don't see anything except mainstream flash/eeprom IC's in the Batronix list. Wellon supports microcontrollers, PAL/GAL, logic IC test... Even TL866A have wider "real" support list than Batronix.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
    « Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 03:10:47 am »
    My guess they counted all subcategory chip "variants" under "main" category which are already almost the same. Just checked, Wellon didn't bother to count every speed and temperature grade of flash IC's in their list.
    « Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:18:17 am by wraper »

n45048

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 03:14:02 am »
    22,856 Devices my ass  :-DD
    Sorry you're right, that figure is actually 23,924 devices as of 23/12/2014 ;-) My mistake.

See: http://www.batronix.com/pdf/BX32PBarlino-II-DeviceList.pdf

Even without GAL/PAL/PLD support (which is clearly identified in the product brief) it still beats the Wellon. For a comparison between the different models, see: http://www.batronix.com/shop/programmer/BX32P/index.html

My guess they counted all subcategory chip "variants" under "main" category which are already almost the same.
    Just like Wellon did in the link you provided? You'll find it's common across most manufacturers.

I'm sorry, I just can't see your logic in paying more for an inferior product. Regardless of device support (both support the devices I use), based on cost and build quality alone, the Batronix still comes out on top.
    « Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:31:22 am by Halon »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
    « Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 03:24:29 am »
    Just like Wellon did in the link you provided? You'll find it's common across most manufacturers.
    I'm sorry, I just can't see your logic in paying more for an inferior product.
    Don't see a bit of deference in counting methodology? How they manage multiply Wellon list by 4  :-DD

Offline wraper

• Supporter
    « Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 03:55:37 am »
    Just get me right. I'm not saying that you must get that Wellon or whatsoever. Just that Batronix definitely is not best value for money for hobby use as it won't give you anything over cheapo TL866, likely with higher reliability though. And unless you'll be programming some exotic chip which Batronix do not support anyway, unlikely that you'll catch some showstopper bug in Chinese software. Batronix cannot be named honest on advertised chip count too.

n45048

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 04:36:57 am »
    Even though I'm a hobbyist, I would still rather pay a little more and get something half decent that will last. I'm generally not a fan of Chinese products unless they are made by a reputable company (I'd have no problems buying a Fluke meter for example even though it's made in China).

I am very wary of stuff on ebay, especially when they can't even get their English right. Using your Wellon product as an example, straight away it's over $30 more expensive than a reputable brand named product. In terms of build quality, the Batronix is a nice solid aluminium construction which I much prefer over the crappy plastic ones. I can almost bet (without having seen inside either) that the build quality and attention to detail is far greater in the Batronix products as well. It uses nice solid USB Type B connectors which I much prefer over mini connectors.

There is also no need for an external power supply on the BX32P for any of the supported devices, where as with the Wellon product, some require external power (probably from an equally crappy Chinese power adapter).

Maybe if the Wellon VP-290 was AUD$70 or something, OK, maybe it would be worth a look at. But as it stands, it seems over-priced for what it is.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
    « Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 11:59:17 am »
    There is also no need for an external power supply on the BX32P for any of the supported devices, where as with the Wellon product, some require external power (probably from an equally crappy Chinese power adapter).
    It is not overpriced unlike Batronix. Strange that it does not require external power because some older ICs require quiet a lot of power when programming. Power supply which comes with my VP-490 is not crap. Mini USB is quiet robust, maybe even more robust than type B because it have more mounting place on the PCB regardless of smaller size. And that aluminium enclosure looks like off the shelf extruded enclosure indeed, not something custom made.
    Even without GAL/PAL/PLD support (which is clearly identified in the product brief) it still beats the Wellon.
    With 2 models higher product which cost USD 505 ex VAT. I counted supported ICs in the list, just counted almost best case per page and multiplied by page count. Got around 4500 ICs which still remains highly inflated number as many pages have only like 5 IC's with zillion of temperature/speed grades.
    EDIT: just noticed that they use term "Supported chip variants" on their website and device list pdf when advertising total supported count. Quiet a marketing invention.
    Few pictures to disprove that wellon have crap construction:
    « Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 02:05:36 pm by wraper »

Offline wraper

• Supporter

n45048

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 06:08:28 pm »
    The Batronix programmer can still supply up to 25 volts using nothing more than the USB port. It's not that strange at all.

As for the construction photos you posted, I'll admit that it does look quite reasonable. But I'm not an EE so I can't really spot any design quirks.

Mini USB is quiet robust, maybe even more robust than type B because it have more mounting place on the PCB regardless of smaller size.

I have no idea what you meant by the comment. Makes no sense to me. I still prefer type B as most of my gear uses the same lead. I've had mini and micro USB connectors wear out over time with repeated connection/disconnection.

It's clear that we both have very different opinions when it comes to the overall quality of a product and that's fine.

I ended up purchasing the Batronix product as it was much better than the others I saw in that sub-$200 price range. I downloaded the software and it's straight forward to use and does what it needs to, and more importantly, it runs on all my systems.
    « Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 06:15:16 pm by Halon »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
    « Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 06:36:18 pm »
    The Batronix programmer can still supply up to 25 volts using nothing more than the USB port. It's not that strange at all.

As for the construction photos you posted, I'll admit that it does look quite reasonable. But I'm not an EE so I can't really spot any design quirks.
    This is not about voltage but current capability. When running FPGA, Voltage converters, pin driver circuits and power hog IC being programmed, it can require quiet big current and 500 mA from USB might become not enough.
    Mini USB is quiet robust, maybe even more robust than type B because it have more mounting place on the PCB regardless of smaller size.
    I have no idea what you meant by the comment. Makes no sense to me. I still prefer type B as most of my gear uses the same lead. I've had mini and micro USB connectors wear out over time with repeated connection/disconnection.
    It means that mini usb usually have 4 mounting tabs. USB-B only 2 in the middle of the sides. It is fairly easy to break USB-B connector off the PCB, and I've seen enough of such.
    Just noticed that Batronix use exactly the same ZIF sockets as Wellon programmers.
    « Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 06:40:29 pm by wraper »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
    Smf