Author Topic: Recommendations for replacement soldering sponge?  (Read 24869 times)

Offline OPTopic starter

Recommendations for replacement soldering sponge?
« on: April 22, 2014, 04:35:56 am »
Where does everyone get their replacement soldering sponges? Looking through amazon, there's several vendors that sell 20 packs for $5, however, reviews indicate they're unacceptably thin.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
Re: Recommendations for replacement soldering sponge?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 04:49:14 am »
I just use ordinary kitchen/cleaning sponges. 
The synthetic ones last longer than the originals.
As long as you keep it properly damp, it doesn't matter what kind of sponge.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 04:54:49 am »
Cellulose cleaning sponges, supermarket or dollar store.

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 06:13:45 am »
They also use brass sponge. You can find it at electronics stores or at supermarkets for dish-washing – kitchen cleaning department.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 06:43:54 am »
Those "sponges" made from metal wool or shavings, etc. have tiny sharp edges which actually wear the iron plating off the tip, ruining it prematurely.  I avoid them.

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 06:50:13 am »
Those "sponges" made from metal wool or shavings, etc. have tiny sharp edges which actually wear the iron plating off the tip, ruining it prematurely.  I avoid them.

barely, if you use brass wool. maybe I don't solder enough, but I've never worn through the iron plating of tips that way.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 07:06:04 am »
Not had any issues with the brass wool abrading the tips (Weller, not from a kitchen cleaner brand). Does a better job than a damp sponge too IME.

Offline akis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 04:49:03 pm »
I use very damp kitchen paper (called kitchen towel here in the UK) - sometimes even damp toilet paper. What am I doing wrong?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 05:05:26 pm »
I use very damp kitchen paper (called kitchen towel here in the UK) - sometimes even damp toilet paper. What am I doing wrong?
Certainly not ideal, but better than nothing at all I suppose (at least does get some of the oxides and crap off the tip).

From a technical POV:
1. Residue in the form of burnt paper dust remaining on the tip could contaminate the tip and joints. Potential for bad joints and premature tip failure.
2. The more water, the more the tip is cooled, which causes thermal shock, which can also cause premature tip failure.
3. Also, you don't want to use tap water either, as it contains contaminants as well (can prevent solder from wetting the tip). Use distilled water instead.

Not necessarily going to be a real problem for a hobbyist IMHO, but these issues do exist, and can cost you more aggravation and money down the road (i.e. rework due to bad joints some time later, and more frequent tip replacement on a small scale).

Fortunately, either a sponge + distilled water or brass wool tip cleaner are very inexpensive, so there's no need to stick with wet paper.  ;)

Offline OPTopic starter

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 01:13:20 am »
I didn't realize thermal shock was bad for the tip. Does brass wool completely replace the water + sponge system? I've used both, and haven't noticed too much of a difference.

Offline true

• Frequent Contributor
  • INTERNET
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 02:47:19 am »
I didn't realize thermal shock was bad for the tip. Does brass wool completely replace the water + sponge system? I've used both, and haven't noticed too much of a difference.
Pretty much, yes.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 03:12:27 am »
Stainless scouring pad in small ceramic cup. Hot Iron....stab, stab...clean as a whistle. Never wears out, solder does not stick to it and IMO no tip problems for hobby use.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 05:17:08 am »
I didn't realize thermal shock was bad for the tip.

Thermal shock is not the best for the tip. But you should also consider the following. People were using wet sponges on plated tips for something like maybe 50 years or so. There was no mass exodus of tips over time. In fact, tips are build to withstand this, it is part of their normal operation.

Then, a few (four?) years ago the brass stuff appears. And suddenly everyone is running around like headless chickens and warns about thermals shocks killing tips. Within moments of the brass wool stuff appearing we are suddenly all doomed for using a wet sponge.

Call it mass hysteria, or a clever marketing campaign. I haven't seen any serious evidence that brass wool is, taking all things into account, not just thermal shock, significantly better than a wet sponge. It is all hearsay.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline GiskardReventlov

• Frequent Contributor
  • How many pseudonyms do you have?
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 05:33:45 am »
I take the nasty kitchen sponge, let it dry and cut to size, then I use distilled water.

@B@W, it's not only hearsay, it's heresy.  I think those of us in the sponge camp should constantly point out the rough treatment the brass sheep get when being harvested for their wool. Where as no sponges were ever hurt when making these sponges.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 07:04:43 am »

I learned from one of those how-the-pros-solder youtube videos that the dump sponge is not intended for cleaning the tip but only to 'shock' or deoxidize it (the instructor said that you have 2-3 seconds after that to do the soldering before it gets oxidized again).  The instructor used kimwipes to clean the tip.  I tried it myself and indeed it cleans better than the metal wool of dump sponge but it's also more hassle as you need to use both hands.

Offline tx8

• Contributor
  • Trapped young player
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 05:04:48 pm »
Use a dry kitchen towel to clean und afterwards shock the oxides off on a wet kitchen towel. Or better: get a new natural sponge. Also good: a used plastic kitchen sponge and a piece of kitchen towel on top prevents the plastic sponge from melting.

Offline GiskardReventlov

• Frequent Contributor
  • How many pseudonyms do you have?
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 04:39:48 pm »
They also use brass sponge. You can find it at electronics stores or at supermarkets for dish-washing – kitchen cleaning department.

I looked at these and they were metal coated plastic, I think, maybe they were just metal-looking plastic. I couldn't tell for sure.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 04:46:35 pm »
since we're on the subject, what is the purpose of the holes in the sponge?  the large center hole that you often see on hakko (example) sponges.  is it meant so that when you clean the tip, the fly-off stays 'inside' and does not go elsewhere?  I'm assuming so.

I've seen sponges with lines cut in and also with holes.  all the same idea, then?

lately, I'm using the brass wool stuff.  the sponges don't last long and I don't like the cooling effect of water on the tip.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 05:55:47 pm »
I think the idea for those holes was ... if you desolder some small part (surface mount) and the piece gets stuck on your iron tip, you can sort of flip it off the tip inside the hole.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 08:21:03 pm »
I bought various like this on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191047767929

The price is kinda.. right :), you get them in all sort of sizes..
I use both brass and wetsponge, but wetsponge is my favorite, I think oxidation is ruining an tip before heatshock do, it's not exactly icecold this sponge, and you don't soak it so you put the tip in water..  I always soak the sponge, and squeeze out the water, perfect for my use.
For some reason, when using the brass one, I have to wave around much more in the brass to get the solder of the tip, but just an simple stroke on the sponge.. so, well..

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 08:41:08 pm »
Thermal shock is not the best for the tip. But you should also consider the following. People were using wet sponges on plated tips for something like maybe 50 years or so. There was no mass exodus of tips over time. In fact, tips are build to withstand this, it is part of their normal operation.

Then, a few (four?) years ago the brass stuff appears. And suddenly everyone is running around like headless chickens and warns about thermals shocks killing tips. Within moments of the brass wool stuff appearing we are suddenly all doomed for using a wet sponge.

Call it mass hysteria, or a clever marketing campaign. I haven't seen any serious evidence that brass wool is, taking all things into account, not just thermal shock, significantly better than a wet sponge. It is all hearsay.

Although you are adding 100 C to the tip temperature (or more) with irons, for working on lead-free.  I'm sure that would increase the stress of thermal cycling.  I use the Hakko 599B right now. 

https://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_599b.html

I have seen a difference with flux on the brass.  It cleans a little easier than sponge.  But for years, I just cut up kitchen sponges...

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 08:48:00 pm »
Quite true, and certainly worked very well for the lead based alloys in use all of those years. Combine this with the fact it was (and still is) inexpensive, there really wasn't any need to change things.

IIRC, the brass wool products were the answer to issues that were seen when using damp sponges with the newer lead free solder alloys (different behavior vs. lead based alloys, as well as higher operating temperatures and different flux formulations used with it).

FWIW, I've not seen the brass wool wearing out tips (brass being softer than the iron plating). The stainless steel variant (Weller sells it) would concern me with premature wear of the tip's plating.

since we're on the subject, what is the purpose of the holes in the sponge?  the large center hole that you often see on hakko (example) sponges.  is it meant so that when you clean the tip, the fly-off stays 'inside' and does not go elsewhere?  I'm assuming so.

I've seen sponges with lines cut in and also with holes.  all the same idea, then?
Was taught it does a bit better job during cleaning, and keeps solder bits from flinging off like it can on just the surface.

They make products for wiping/tapping tips that are holding parts or excess solder (usually some sort of silicone rubber lip that surrounds a box of some sort). Seen them from both Weller  (here) and JBC (part of their recent stands).

lately, I'm using the brass wool stuff.  the sponges don't last long and I don't like the cooling effect of water on the tip.
After trying out the brass wool, it made me a convert if you will when using lead based alloys, though a damp sponge still works very well for this. So users' have a choice now.  :) Don't really recall ever encountering sponges wearing out all that fast, but I don't solder daily.

FWIW, the brass wool I'm using came as part of a Weller stand I purchased (all the others I've owned/do own came with sponges), and it seems it's coated with a dry flux compound of some sort that may not exist on some of the inexpensive equivalents found on eBay and similar sites.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 05:11:23 am »
I think the center hole is to increase the surface area doing the cleaning.  Think of it as scraping something off your hands using the side edge of the table.

Once you use the sponge a while, you may, as I do, find yourself cleaning the tip at the edge of the sponge more than the center.  At the edge, you can wipe the tip at a slight angle.  The hole creates a great deal more "edge area".

I like sponge better, but I don't like the way it cools the tip.  I tend to get to aggressive with the metal wool.  I seem to keep the habit of using the cleaning wool as if I am trying to get burned oak flakes off the bottom of a pot - rubbing and jabbing harder and harder sub-consciously just to get the tip to shine a bit more.

I get my sponge from eBay - it is thin but lasts quite a while, and actually cheaper and less troublesome than cutting kitchen sponge.

Offline Prizmatic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 09:10:52 am »
Like brass wool purely for its convenience and not needing a spray bottle on the bench. Does tend to accumulate 'bits' which transfer to the tip if I not maintained (lazy). Wouldn't go back to a sponge.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf