Author Topic: Recommendations wanted for desk lamp  (Read 5608 times)

Offline AndyC_772Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
Recommendations wanted for desk lamp
« on: October 27, 2014, 10:09:36 am »
Hi all,

I'm looking out for a new desk lamp, and would appreciate any recommendations and UK suppliers.

I want something which is adjustable, with a fixed base and a head which I can raise up to provide general illumination of my bench, or bring down lower for inspection and soldering. The brighter, the better.

Right now I have an 'angle poise' type unit into which I've fitted a CCFL bulb. The two weren't really designed to work together, so the spread of light is poor, and the electrical noise from the bulb is a big problem. I do a lot of work on sensors and instrumentation, which can be highly sensitive to kHz and low MHz band noise. I can always switch the lamp off when probing something sensitive, but that rather defeats the object.

Any suggestions welcome, thanks.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
Re: Recommendations wanted for desk lamp
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 12:54:29 pm »
Sounds like a need for a lamp with switchable sources. Maybe something like it can go to a less efficient but also less noisy mode when needed via charging a battery that goes through a linear regulator.

I have no specific recommendations but I have seen those issues myself. It is too dark without the lamp on but too electrically noisy when on.

I suppose a good old 100w incandescent bulb could suffice in a pinch.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 03:46:37 pm »
A 100W bulb might be OK, though they're actually quite hard to get hold of since our European overlords deemed them to be unenvirummentalisch.

You've given me an idea, though... right next to the lamp I have a spare HP 6632B, which produces a very quiet DC output indeed. Perhaps I could re-wire my lamp to use a 12V dc bulb, and replace its mains plug with a DC input jack.

Do 12V LED bulbs tend to include switched mode supplies, or just a current limiting resistor? Maybe a cheap LED bulb that doesn't make great claims about efficiency could actually be quite a good bet from a noise perspective?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 04:57:16 pm »
12V LED lamps over 1W always use a SMPS.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 05:22:22 pm »
I've just got one of these, may well get another couple. Clipped to the shelf above my bench they work very well without taking up any bench space.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10214213/

Offline DmitryL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 05:22:34 pm »
I'm looking out for a new desk lamp, and would appreciate any recommendations and UK suppliers.

I want something which is adjustable, with a fixed base and a head which I can raise up to provide general illumination of my bench, or bring down lower for inspection and soldering. The brighter, the better.

Right now I have an 'angle poise' type unit into which I've fitted a CCFL bulb. The two weren't really designed to work together, so the spread of light is poor, and the electrical noise from the bulb is a big problem. I do a lot of work on sensors and instrumentation, which can be highly sensitive to kHz and low MHz band noise. I can always switch the lamp off when probing something sensitive, but that rather defeats the object.

Any suggestions welcome, thanks.

Build your own :)
I did this several years ago. I used a couple of 12Wt high quality LED  clusters that gave me equivalent of 150Wt incandescent bulb, made a driver with dimming and mounted all this stuff on the base of a cheap IKEA lamp.
some pictures:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l15vcdx76q2xp17/AABXVmEXnwg4XDGEyetXqOsMa?dl=0

This stuff is powered from a separate 24V PSU (I use 2 such lamps), though I did not care much about noise that comes mostly from the LED driver.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 05:39:54 pm »
I just built my own. Attach some 3W LEDs to an aluminium heatsink. Add a small 12V switching supply + LED driver. Attach to a friction arm with clamp.

All available on eBay...

Offline DmitryL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 05:45:26 pm »
I just built my own. Attach some 3W LEDs to an aluminium heatsink. Add a small 12V switching supply + LED driver. Attach to a friction arm with clamp.

3W is too dim in my opinion; I have bult a lamp with 3 or 4 W LED, for me it feels like 20W halogen bulb

Offline Tandy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Darren Grant from Tandy, UK.
    • Tandy
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 07:48:41 pm »
Something to consider is the problem with a single directional lamp is the shadows it casts. Sometimes I find it better to work under diffuse light, a couple of small lamps that spread the light evenly rather than a spot lamp.
For more info on Tandy try these links Tandy History EEVBlog Thread & Official Tandy Website

Offline DmitryL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 09:03:22 pm »
LED clusters without any optics attached produce a beam with a spatial angle of about 120 degrees, almost the same as a usual desk lamp.
Anyway, I have made two lamps for work; one on the left, another on the right.

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 10:01:45 am »
I use an Osram 10W 810lm 'GLS-alike' LED bulb in a geniune Anglepoise as a reading light. The combination is almost ideal in terms of light output, colour, & directionality. £10 from B&Q.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 10:16:31 am »

3W is too dim in my opinion; I have bult a lamp with 3 or 4 W LED, for me it feels like 20W halogen bulb

That's why I said "some 3W LEDs"  :)

Full disclosure: I also added an Arduino Pro Mini with a potentiometer to supply a PWM signal for dimming...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:30:42 am by Fungus »

Offline wreeve

• Supporter
    • embedded u systems limited
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 12:56:32 pm »
I've got a couple of Philips Hue bulbs in lamps on my desk. Perfect for night working!

Offline motocoder

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 07:19:35 pm »
I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-TaoTronics%C2%AE-TT-DL01-Dimmable-Lighting/dp/B00APAQSP6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_dp_klOvub16QENCD_tt

I like everything about it except the large base. I also have a couple of the Ikea single LED lights mentioned above. These are also available in a non clip-on variety. Only thing I don't like about those is that the on/off switch is mounted so far from the lamp, but that is easily fixed.

Offline motocoder

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 07:27:10 pm »
Also check out the other models from Taotronics. They have a new one that has a flexible neck. The prices on them have also,dropped to more reasonable levels recently.

Offline LektroiD

• Frequent Contributor
  • If it didn't explode, I'm happy.
    • Music here
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 11:43:39 pm »
If you're quick, Maplin have an offer on this lamp/magnifier just now. Down from £40 to £25.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/22w-fluorescent-daylight-magnifier-lamp-a29ff

No idea how long the offer will run for though.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 07:11:58 am »
Interesting selection of answers there, thanks everyone.

I'm a little surprised there isn't an "industry standard" lamp that engineers use. Given that there are common scopes, soldering irons, meters and so on, which 90% of the people on the forum seem to have in common, this seems like an omission. Maybe even a gap in the market, and a commercial opportunity for someone?

Building my own isn't really an option as I don't have the time.

I think I'll try swapping the bulb in my existing lamp for an LED type, and go from there.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf