Author Topic: reMarkable: The Paper Tablet  (Read 10367 times)

Offline TheAmmoniacalTopic starter

• Supporter
reMarkable: The Paper Tablet
« on: November 30, 2016, 04:49:13 pm »
I love the idea, but too expensive and the stylus writing looks slow. What do you guys think?

Anyone know of alternatives to this? I personally don't have much of a need or desire for the writing capability, but I've been on the lookout for a replacement to my Kindle DX for quite a while. The Kindles are clearly made for linear reading (novels) and not for the university textbook and journals usage.

I want a reader with e-ink display >9" that lets me jump between pages easily, ideally let me pin pages to physical buttons etc. Or even just have a thumbwheel that lets me run through pages quickly.

Pre-order is $379 -- https://getremarkable.com/

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 04:59:52 pm by TheAmmoniacal »

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
Re: reMarkable: The Paper Tablet
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 06:24:01 pm »
I never jump on any new product from a startup company right off the bat, but I will keep my eye on this one. looks pretty cool. Be nice if Amazon made a similar Kindle for less.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Offline jolshefsky

• Regular Contributor
    • Jason DoesItAll
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 06:24:47 pm »
I'm mostly "meh" about this. I have avoided anything "cloud" because I'm a paranoid luddite ... data protection, data loss, data harvesting ... I'd rather handle that myself, thanks. I also like to sketch in color and almost exclusively use the 4-color click pen. I've also never had paper crash or do something I didn't want. And it's ALWAYS "on", not "just a split second away from being on".

But other than that, I guess this would be pretty good.
May your deeds return to you tenfold.

Offline TheAmmoniacalTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 06:27:01 pm »
I'm mostly "meh" about this. I have avoided anything "cloud" because I'm a paranoid luddite ... data protection, data loss, data harvesting ... I'd rather handle that myself, thanks. I also like to sketch in color and almost exclusively use the 4-color click pen. I've also never had paper crash or do something I didn't want. And it's ALWAYS "on", not "just a split second away from being on".

But other than that, I guess this would be pretty good.

I have to agree, I don't see any good reason to even have WiFi on it. Drains the battery for minimal gain.

Offline dferyance

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 08:12:38 pm »
I've got one of these: https://onyxboox.squarespace.com/onyx-boox-m96
Runs android and is a large tablet with a pen.
Drawing for sure is slow on it. It is cool to mess with, but haven't gotten much practical use out of the pen.

I use mine for both books that I have scanned and ebooks. Scanned books don't re-flow well so I needed something that could open up a full page PDF with equations and drawings.

Offline anman

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 07:30:26 pm »
Professional tool for plagiarism   :-DD

Offline rich

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 10:35:31 pm »
I have to agree, I don't see any good reason to even have WiFi on it. Drains the battery for minimal gain.

Seems an appropriate way to transfer documents to/from it. It sure beats messing with memory cards or usb in my opinion.

I love the idea of the reMarkable to replace dozens of engineering notebooks and scraps of paper. I've tried using an iPad2 for this task but it's just not scribble-friendly (too low resolution and bad pen accuracy/latency). At $379 reMarkable may find a niche if it manages to deliver on its potential but then it jumps up to $716 after release and that puts it into same space as iPad Pro + Pencil or Surface Pro 4, so it better have something special when it releases.

Offline E-Ink Tableteer

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 07:06:49 pm »
I prefer reading on e-ink tablet than on other electronic device.
The Remarkable is a good starter, but it has some shortfalls. One thing is the battery: I need to recharge it often.
It's good for reading PDF files or for ePub books and documents.
The pen is sensitive and feels almost like a real thing.
There is ghosting. I guess ghosting is tolerated for a faster page flipping.

Offline Jamieson

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 07:16:06 pm »
At first I thought this was joke promo video of hipsters selling a $300 paper notebook.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 02:21:31 pm »
The idea is sound, as with e-ink the picture will remain even if the battery or even the whole device fails. The price however, no, absolutely not. I'm not paying almost $400 for something that's basically a remake of an antique e-reader. :--
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 08:27:09 am »
The idea is sound, as with e-ink the picture will remain even if the battery or even the whole device fails. The price however, no, absolutely not. I'm not paying almost $400 for something that's basically a remake of an antique e-reader. :--
$400 isn't a terrible price. Some of the larger modern ereaders are a lot smaller and cost about as much, while also omitting the pen. I find those are still too small for reading documentation, so a larger device isn't a bad idea.

Offline socceref

Re: reMarkable: The Paper Tablet **Outstanding**
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 07:06:10 pm »
They have created the digital paper.  It has the same feel of paper and pen.  I am very happy with the reMarkable tablet.   Compared to iPads or other solutions it is night and day.

In my work a PC chills the conversation.  A thick tablet on the table and people think they are being recorded.   The reMarkable generates curiosity. My only ask is for an online OCR that will work from tiff or pdf.   The Evernote search capability is great.  They are limited to search.  That engine (or similar) is what I want to use for online OCR.

I want to write on ePaper with diagrams and handwriting.  I do not want the iPad effect of tap,tap, tap to reach image mode for a diagram.  Then tap,tap, tap, to return to handwriting.  reMarkable has mastered the ePaper.   Please reply if you know of an OCR that would work for me.

reMarkable questions?  Ask away.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 08:12:37 pm »
They have created the digital paper.  It has the same feel of paper and pen.  I am very happy with the reMarkable tablet.   Compared to iPads or other solutions it is night and day.

In my work a PC chills the conversation.  A thick tablet on the table and people think they are being recorded.   The reMarkable generates curiosity. My only ask is for an online OCR that will work from tiff or pdf.   The Evernote search capability is great.  They are limited to search.  That engine (or similar) is what I want to use for online OCR.

I want to write on ePaper with diagrams and handwriting.  I do not want the iPad effect of tap,tap, tap to reach image mode for a diagram.  Then tap,tap, tap, to return to handwriting.  reMarkable has mastered the ePaper.   Please reply if you know of an OCR that would work for me.

reMarkable questions?  Ask away.
Are you in some way associated with the reMarkable or people selling it?

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 08:53:53 pm »
It has the same feel of paper and pen. 

You must be kidding , my friend.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 10:15:27 pm »
Sure wished I had one of these   :palm:

Look at ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xremark.TRS0&_nkw=remarkable+tablet&_sacat=0

A lot of people with money also want one.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 01:06:32 am »
Not worth considering until after AvE reviews it, shows that it chooches and declares it skookum!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 07:33:33 am »
Not worth considering until after AvE reviews it, shows that it chooches and declares it skookum!
That's a fairly expensive replacement for the cutting mat.

Offline gocemk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 08:02:01 am »
I have been doing pretty much the same for years on Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 with an S-Pen and the Lecture Notes app on Android. Not sure what's the advantage here, except for the longer battery life, which isn't too bad on the Samsung either. It's 3-4 years old, and i still recharge it only 2-3 times a week.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 10:07:41 am »
I have been doing pretty much the same for years on Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 with an S-Pen and the Lecture Notes app on Android. Not sure what's the advantage here, except for the longer battery life, which isn't too bad on the Samsung either. It's 3-4 years old, and i still recharge it only 2-3 times a week.
E-ink isn't quite the same as a regular screen, which is both good and bad.

Offline gocemk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2017, 01:23:00 pm »
E-ink isn't quite the same as a regular screen, which is both good and bad.

Agreed. In the end it's all about what one needs/wants from such a device.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 01:49:59 pm »
€629

That is a little bit on the expensive side. Though it looks like a cool gadget. I could definitely use it on the daily basis.
But the Sony  DPT-RP1 is almost the same price.

I guess I'm not gonna be an early adapter.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 01:02:58 am »
€629

That is a little bit on the expensive side. Though it looks like a cool gadget. I could definitely use it on the daily basis.

A little bit? It's at the scam level of overpriced! You could get a resonable computer for that price! Instead you get an antique E-reader (Mr.Scram, overpriced BW E-readers are scams too). That's basically like paying for a modern smart phone but getting a monochrome PDA!

Socceref, tell your bosses to slash it down to around $100USD, which is still expensive for it, but it's more reasonable then $400.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline garboui

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2017, 01:10:43 am »
I have been keeping my eye on these a lot recently for professional use. However from a business standpoint it needs Wi-Fi that can sync to some local server based document system. it would be fine if it still had to touch the internet for updates and whatnot.

In my case if it had Wi-Fi and onenote integration id buy a dozen tomorrow. I know 'onenote and surface' but the surfaces are not a writing pad! and $$$

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2017, 09:37:33 am »
€629

A little bit? It's at the scam level of overpriced! You could get a resonable computer for that price! Instead you get an antique E-reader (Mr.Scram, overpriced BW E-readers are scams too). That's basically like paying for a modern smart phone but getting a monochrome PDA!

Socceref, tell your bosses to slash it down to around $100USD, which is still expensive for it, but it's more reasonable then $400.
The display technology is something that they dont mass produce. It is not the traditional e-ink. Maybe they made 100K of that tech total, and someone spent millions developing it. I get that it is expensive. Once a tech like this enters the mass market, and not the early adapters one, it will come down in price. I believe the SONY started above 1000EUR.
I wouldn't compare it with the kindle. That is probably sold below cost, it has a small and low-tech display compared to this. That being said, I like my kindle.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 04:51:03 pm »

You're not being very realistic. Calling it "overpriced" could be a matter of debate, but calling it a scam is a bit silly. Supposing they could be sold for $100 is just being ridiculous, if I'm honest.

It's obviously not just a tablet or PDA with a monochrome screen. It's a screen technology with some very distinct qualities that surpass any other screen technology. If you happen to need or prefer these qualities, they're not unreasonable devices. Having a screen being perfectly readable in broad daylight, being a lot closer to paper than any other screen meaning less eye strain and it being very energy efficient under the right circumstances, which means you can read for months on a single charge are feats no other technology can match.

E-ink is relatively expensive, but that's a matter of simple economics. It's not a huge market, like is the case with LCD and OLED screens, so the cost per unit goes up. Have a look at what LCD televisions and flat computer screens cost when then they first hit the market. You paid stupid silly amounts money for technologically atrocious screens. Only when the numbers game turned in the customer's favour, flat displays became good and cheap. If they can barely bring a large numbers small size Kindle to market for $100, there's no way they can bring a much larger unit with added pen technology which is sold in much smaller numbers to market for anything close to that.

The following users thanked this post: Tsippaduida

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf