Author Topic: White Angel Eye LED ring for projects  (Read 6601 times)

Offline btfdevTopic starter

• Contributor
White Angel Eye LED ring for projects
« on: April 29, 2012, 05:24:29 pm »
Hello Team,

Wrote a quick review on these White Angel Eye LED ring.

http://www.binarytaskforce.com/Weblog/2012/04/28/angel-eye/

Must be for some reason they called White Light Car Angel Eye, most likely mimicking the halo ring of the late models BMW headlight. We purchased the rings from Deal Extreme website for the 70mm, 80mm and 90mm version. Got a chance to check them out before the engineers took them.

They are bright and may be useful for various of projects but be aware of quality.

Enjoy, BTFDev

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Re: White Angel Eye LED ring for projects
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 02:19:34 am »
Keep an eye of these in heat related situations. In the automotive lighting world they are known to be VERY VERY heat sensitive. You have to derate them pretty heavily to try to keep them alive and even then they often die in a year or so.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline elliott

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:21:45 am »
Those would make a good cheap DIY ring light for macro photography, just glue it to a step up ring that screws to your lens, add a power source and maybe make a diffuser out of some translucent white plastic like a coffee can lid.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:26:34 am by elliott »

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 05:59:04 pm »
Those would make a good cheap DIY ring light for macro photography, just glue it to a step up ring that screws to your lens, add a power source and maybe make a diffuser out of some translucent white plastic like a coffee can lid.

Just ordered a 70mm one and a 58-82mm adapter ring :) Worth a shot for <$10 in parts  :D

Offline elliott

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 05:54:30 pm »

Just ordered a 70mm one and a 58-82mm adapter ring :) Worth a shot for <$10 in parts  :D
Found one similar on the Pentax forums someone built, little more extreme though:

DIY LED ring light by iamclaus, on Flickr

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 08:31:05 pm »
hmm bought an expensive dslr and the nor cheap objective and built a ring flash for it? or its just a illuminator for macro?

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 09:38:07 pm »
i just finished building a ring light for such purposes. it uses 36 cree white led's. Driven by a current mode micrel step-up chip and under control of a pic12f639 for brightness control.
4 pushbuttons. on/off , memory , up and down.

i'll post pictures tonight of the final assembly.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 09:47:08 pm »
hmm bought an expensive dslr and the nor cheap objective and built a ring flash for it? or its just a illuminator for macro?
ring flash is an illuminator for macro. and yes, it can cost a camera body. so its worth diy if you have a "not so serious need"
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline elliott

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 02:31:08 am »
You should see some DIY macro setups people have come up with, if you're not seriously into it then there is no reason to spend more than $100 on a full macro setup, aside from the camera body.

Reversing rings that let you mount lenses backwards can be had for under $5, this gives you the flat field you need for macro along with some magnification. Get a set of cheap extension tubes for $20 or if you want more flexibility a bellows for around $50. If you don't have a lens capable of controlling the aperture without being mounted to the camera normally, you'll need to pick up something, a $10-20 manual prime from the 70s will work fine and the mount doesn't matter since you're using the filter threads. Add in a $20 DIY ring light or maybe an old manual flash with a DIY softbox on it and you've got a full macro setup capable of amazing shots.

Photography is all about experimentation, would you rather spend $100 on a full setup or $400+ on a dedicated macro lens, $200+ on a real ring light and a few other miscellaneous things just to experiment with macro?

Adult male Paraphidippus aurantius Jumping Spider (With Cannibalism Video!) by Thomas Shahan, on Flickr

Eye Arrangement of a Hogna Wolf Spider by Thomas Shahan, on Flickr

This guy uses a similar setup to what I described, you could replicate his ENTIRE rig for $500, including buying the camera body, since he just used an old K200D.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 02:34:07 am by elliott »

Offline Mint.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Account is inactive now. Thanks everybody!
    • Personal Blog, Mint Electronics.
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 12:54:44 am »
You should see some DIY macro setups people have come up with, if you're not seriously into it then there is no reason to spend more than $100 on a full macro setup, aside from the camera body.

Reversing rings that let you mount lenses backwards can be had for under $5, this gives you the flat field you need for macro along with some magnification. Get a set of cheap extension tubes for $20 or if you want more flexibility a bellows for around $50. If you don't have a lens capable of controlling the aperture without being mounted to the camera normally, you'll need to pick up something, a $10-20 manual prime from the 70s will work fine and the mount doesn't matter since you're using the filter threads. Add in a $20 DIY ring light or maybe an old manual flash with a DIY softbox on it and you've got a full macro setup capable of amazing shots.

Photography is all about experimentation, would you rather spend $100 on a full setup or $400+ on a dedicated macro lens, $200+ on a real ring light and a few other miscellaneous things just to experiment with macro?

Adult male Paraphidippus aurantius Jumping Spider (With Cannibalism Video!) by Thomas Shahan, on Flickr

Eye Arrangement of a Hogna Wolf Spider by Thomas Shahan, on Flickr

This guy uses a similar setup to what I described, you could replicate his ENTIRE rig for $500, including buying the camera body, since he just used an old K200D.

I hate spiders.
Personal Blog (Not Active Anymore), Mint Electronics:
http://mintelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 07:21:31 am »
they look amazing  you will never be that close to one unless you see these pics with such a detail

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 12:33:46 pm »

Going to make a custom (read: longer) cable for it. Lucky I have some of those tiny connectors spare from another project :)

Step 1: Drill a 5mm hole someone in the ring to pass the cable and socket through.

Step 2: Cover all the resistors on the back with kapton tape to insulate them from the filter ring.

Step 3: Stick it down with double sided foam tape :D

Step 4: fill in the hole on the back with liquid electrical tape, hot glue, potting compound, etc. This protects the power solder points and the wire from being damaged by the metal edge of the hole.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf