Author Topic: RF Soldering Station Choices  (Read 3830 times)

Offline RF-EngineerTopic starter

• Contributor
RF Soldering Station Choices
« on: March 09, 2018, 01:01:57 pm »
I'm looking at RF-based soldering stations like those made by Metcal and Thermaltronics.  After searching the forum archives, I don't see a discussion of 13.56 MHz systems versus lower RF at 450-470 kHz.  It seems the heating technology is the same but with a different heating frequency.  So, is there a practical difference?

Paul

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: RF Soldering Station Choices
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 02:12:55 pm »
I have the Metcal MX-500P, 13.56 MHz.  The heating time is stupid fast, just a few seconds and the thermal recovery time is almost instantaneous, regardless of tip size being used or what I am soldering. I can't say anything about the lower frequency units, I have no experience with them.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 12:17:51 am »
Thanks for the feedback.  I placed an order through Tequipment.net for the Metcal MX-500AV. 

I was also looking at the Hakko FX100 with RF "power boost" but to me, it signaled a code name as an alternate technology to avert an existing patent claim on Oki/Metcal's SmartHeat technology.  Maybe not.  Anyway, I couldn't find much on it either.  I also looked at the Thermaltronics 9000 but wasn't impressed with the teardown video I saw.

Paul

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 12:46:32 am »
From what I understand, Thermaltronics was formed by some former Metcal engineers after the patent ran out.  I have a couple of Thermaltronics tips and they work the same as the OEM Metcal.   I got the MX-500P, Talon tweezers and stand in a trade at my local surplus store with NOS parts that I was given.  Some prudent and patient shopping on evilBay netted a new RM-3e and WS1.  Add 6 tips and I am all in at about $200 USD.   I also have a Hakko FX-951.  It is an excellent station and I really like it, however, I prefer the wand on the Metcal.  It feels more substantial.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 04:59:00 pm »
In looking at the Thermaltronics units, I saw no U.S. vendors nor distributors other than eBay and Amazon channels.  I can't even find a legitimate physical address on their corporate website. 

The last time I purchased a Hakko FX888 on eBay, it was a knock-off.  As a result of that experience, I'll only purchase through company recognized distribution channels where there's accountability in the chain of custody from the point of manufacture to customer delivery.   

Paul

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 07:55:18 pm »
Understandable.  I bought my tips from Denbo32, who is a forum member, though I haven't seen a post from him in quite some time.  It's amazing to see that the Hakko stations are probably the most copied/cloned of any soldering station.  I bought my FX-951 from TEquipment.net with the EEVBlog discount.

Offline AllTheGearNoIdea

• Supporter
    • AllTheGearNoIdea
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 10:17:46 pm »
Does anyone know if these rf stations cause rf interference.  I note 13.5 is quite close to the amateur radio 20m band. I have various communications analyser and spectrum analysers and I’m thinking  of accidentally spending a day hunting down a birdy from the soldering iron.

Chris
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:20:27 pm by AllTheGearNoIdea »
AllTheGearNoIdea Where Its All About The Gear

Offline RobBarter

• Regular Contributor
    • Bedrock Systems Ltd
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 06:51:32 pm »
As I've just received my Metcal 5200 in the post today I though I'd check the rf interference on my Siglent SA.   Please be aware I'm a newbie to Spectrum Analysers....

This is with the soldering iron melting solder.  It drops significantly when in cradle.  The siglent was approx 70cm away on the same table with a simple aerial (actually from an Icom R20 handheld receiver) directly on the port.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:58:48 pm by RobBarter »
minimal sig so a single msg doesn't take up the entire page!

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf