Author Topic: Scientific Calculators  (Read 16512 times)

Offline nbrittonTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Scientific Calculators
« on: August 30, 2016, 05:27:30 am »
I'm taking a refresher mathematics course and the teacher won't let us use graphing calculators on the tests because she believes that not everyone in the class can afford to buy one. However, she did say that we can use any scientific calculator we want. What are some of the best scientific calculators on the market geared for college level mathematics and engineering?

My TI-86 had a polynomial roots finder and I really want this feature, I have mild cognitive impairment that makes it very difficult for me to do mental arithmetic. I also would like to be able to display results in fractions. A basic equation solver would be nice too, anything that can help me get through the busy work.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:54:28 am by nbritton »

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
Re: Scientific Calculators
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 06:13:49 am »
Criteria: Polynomial solver, not graphing (or doesn't look like a graphing calculator; narrow screen)
bold if still in the sales channel
Hewlett Packard: HP-28S, HP-42S, HP-34C, HP-27S, HP-35S, HP-15C LE
Casio: fx-880P, fx-5800p
TI: TI-68
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:38:43 am by helius »

Offline Voodoo 6

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 06:45:50 am »
Sharp Scientific Pocket Computer EL-5500III      or better yet roll in to class with a slide ruler, you will get all the hot math babes with one of those....and extra credit from the teacher.   ;D

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 08:01:18 am »
Mathematica running on a laptop named Calculator :)

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 08:17:18 am »
You want a Casio FX991-ES PLUS or FX991EX. Non graphing, solver, poly solve, matrices, rational output, dirt cheap, don't require you to learn RPN. The EX has SI engineering units as well.

I'd never touch an HP again.

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 08:30:32 am »
If complex matrices are important, the Casio FX991 doesn't support those, AFIK. If you are going to do calculations for the electronics and need to perform some calculations using complex numbers and solve complex equations using complex matrices, then the support for the complex matrices is a good feature. Otherwise you may get away without the support for the complex matrices.

If you are allowed to use an Android phone as a calculator, there are some nice Calculator emulators available. Some of those provide a free but ad-ware versions so you can try them without paying.

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 08:57:41 am »
If you're doing complex matrices on a calculator you probably also hit screws with a hammer...

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 09:37:25 am »
If you're doing complex matrices on a calculator you probably also hit screws with a hammer...

When I was at engineering school, it was very handy to have a calculator which could perform matrix operations with the complex numbers. Depending of the needs, the complex matrices may be "need to have" or "nice to have".

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 10:20:47 am »
Do they have a list of approved calculators?
Just saying "non-graphic" is kinda dumb.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:25:25 am by EEVblog »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 12:41:39 pm »
correction. non-graphing, not non-graphic. if his place is similar to ours, non-graphing means anything that can plot a XY graph out of an algebraic function. the reason of not everyone can afford it is nonsensical. what i think more sensible is everyone should be able to not just construct a graph, but also should be able to calculate and present variables (usually Y) from given set of non-variables (usually X) and an algebraic function.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 12:43:25 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 01:09:06 pm »
I am a calculator collector and have many of them.

Criteria: Polynomial solver, not graphing (or doesn't look like a graphing calculator; narrow screen)
bold if still in the sales channel
Hewlett Packard: HP-28S, HP-42S, HP-34C, HP-27S, HP-35S, HP-15C LE
Casio: fx-880P, fx-5800p
TI: TI-68

The most interesting ones of these are as indicated by helius not available on retail anymore and even as second hand devices they reach relatively high prices. This is especially notable for the FX-850P/FX-880P (I have three of them), not to mention the HP42 series, which sell at ridiculous prices! The legendary HP 11C, 12C, 15C and 16C are also great INVESTMENT WISE, as they reach record prices on eBay (I was lucky to get hold of a well preserved HP 11C for little money).

The reason for these prices is due to the easy and powerfull operation with great user interface. In case of the CASIO FX-850/880P, it's the BASIC programming language and the fact that they can be hooked up to a PC using some wires for RS232 communication.

If graph calculators like the HP 50g (end of life, mayby you get it on a sale), HP Prime or TI Nspire are not allowed, then I would really go for the calculator which is RECOMMENDED BY THE TEACHER!

Modern math classes require students to follow exercises on their calculators and if you have a "different" one, which is unfamiliar to the teacher, you might get stuck with some exercises.

Better to get the recommended one, which will probably inexpensive and if you desire, get yourself a propper calculator or just install an emulator! I use the HP 48GX on my Samsung Galaxy Note4 and it feels like the real thing I used to have while at University. It even runs the programs I made back then.

Beware that modern calculators like the HP Prime and TI Nspire are made for classroom featuring problem-sheets and stuff like that. The HP Prime is still an excellent engineering tool, I do dislike the TI Nspire a bit in this regard. Both are CROWDED with functions and you either spend a LOT of time figuring them out, or you will have a hard time doing whatever advanced calculation!

Regards,
Vitor
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 01:11:53 pm by Bicurico »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 05:37:47 pm »
correction. non-graphing, not non-graphic. if his place is similar to ours, non-graphing means anything that can plot a XY graph out of an algebraic function. the reason of not everyone can afford it is nonsensical.

Yes that is correct, it has to be non-graphing. I think the policy is kinda non-sense too, this is a 200 level college mathematics class so I'm betting everyone in the class already has a graphing calculator. In fact, I have two, a TI-83 and TI-86. Her justification for the policy was multi-factored, for in-class activities we're allow to use our phone, tablet, or computer. She didn't feel that forcing the whole class to buy a $150 graphing calculator was justifiable considering the many graphing applications that are available for free. She also felt that some of the students (this is a community college) could not afford to spend $150 on a calculator, in addition to a $150 textbook. As far as testing, phones are not permitted in the testing center and she felt that if some students had graphing calculators while others did not it would give them an unfair advantage on tests; she further stated that she designed her tests to not require a graphing calculator to help level the playing field. It is what it is.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:47:42 pm by nbritton »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 05:54:20 pm »
The new Casio FX991EX is pretty jazzy:
http://www.casio-intl.com/asia-mea/en/calc/scientific/classwiz/fx991ex/

https://youtu.be/g65sCqZc5Ug?t=28m15s

Yes it is, that one is definitely on my short list. How does it compare to the Texas Instruments TI-36X Pro and Sharp EL-W506X?

Edit: I can't seem to find the Sharp EL-W506X for sale anywhere. There was one seller on eBay in the UK but they want like $65 for it. There is also the EL-W506, this appears to be an older version.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 07:28:27 pm by nbritton »

Offline Maxlor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 08:25:11 pm »
I have both an fx-991EX and a TI-36X Pro. For a classroom, I'd go with the TI-36X Pro, the way it's layed out fits doing school/uni math quite well.

For actual engineering, the Casio's strong support for unit prefixes is quite nice. It has several usability issues though that are frustrating (only shows one calculation on screen, whereas the TI shows as many as fit and scrolls them; can't jump from the left of a line to the right, which makes editing long lines slow, whereas the TI allows shift-left and shift-right; cursor movement through complex terms can be erratic; very cluttered silkscreen; bad choice of onscreen font.) in a time-constrained test situation I feel the TI is faster.

I wouldn't be worried about features btw; it seems unlikely that your teacher will require you to use any advanced operations on your calculator.

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 09:09:21 pm »
TI 36X Pro has some horrible bugs. It displays mixed numbers involving pi completely incorrectly.

I know of no bugs in the FX991ES PLUS.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 10:45:36 pm »
TI 36X Pro has some horrible bugs. It displays mixed numbers involving pi completely incorrectly.

I know of no bugs in the FX991ES PLUS.

I ordered both the TI-36X Pro and Casio fx-991EX because they are so cheap. I think I'll like the TI-36X Pro because I have experience with the TI-83, TI-86, and TI-30XA, however the Casio FX-991EX was only $12.87, so I'll play with both! I would have bought a Sharp too, but the EL-W506 and EL-W506X are mysteriously not available for sale anywhere in the United States.

Offline Maxlor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 11:15:43 pm »
I ordered both the TI-36X Pro and Casio fx-991EX because they are so cheap. I think I'll like the TI-36X Pro because I have experience with the TI-83, TI-86, and TI-30XA, however the Casio FX-991EX was only $12.87, so I'll play with both! I would have bought a Sharp too, but the EL-W506 and EL-W506X are mysteriously not available for sale anywhere in the United States.
Hah, that's how it starts. And a while later you suddenly realize that you have a pile of 50 different calculators but don't really need even one...

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 11:47:22 pm »
I have a Casio fx-9860gii. It's a lot of calculator for the money, it's also a bit more than I need. I always liked the HP's RPN so I got me an HP 35s instead. Would really like a 15c but they are just so expensive and hard to find.

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 12:08:21 am »
Would really like a 15c but they are just so expensive and hard to find.

Not the real thing, but pretty close: https://www.swissmicros.com/

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 12:25:45 am »
Would really like a 15c but they are just so expensive and hard to find.

Not the real thing, but pretty close: https://www.swissmicros.com/
Yeah I've seen those. Wonder how close to the real thing they are.

Offline mathsquid

• Regular Contributor
  • I like math.
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2016, 01:39:20 am »
I have a ton of calculators.  For a non-graphing scientific calculator, I'd recommend a Casio fx-115ES Plus or a TI-36X Pro. I have a mild preference for the Casio, but both are great.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 03:25:39 am »
correction. non-graphing, not non-graphic. if his place is similar to ours, non-graphing means anything that can plot a XY graph out of an algebraic function.

Yes, but the point is that you can have "graphing" calculators that have oodles of other programmable stuff built in and ones that don't.
Usually there is an "approved" list of calculators for a reason, because they don't want students to have an unfair advantage. Calc companies like Casio/TI/HP take this approved list very seriously and design their calculators to meet strict school requirements in order to get approved. They leave out features in order to get on this list.

Drawing the line at simply graphing/non-graphing is a silly line.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 05:39:28 am »

Here in wall-buildin' 'Murica!, solving large, complex matrices on tests is the norm. It's why such capability exists in a scientific calculator.

Out in the real world, you're correct, nobody uses a calculator to solve matrices.

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 07:37:34 am »
I had the same thing at school in the UK in the early 1990s. Mathematics was taught with specific calculator features. We had mandatory TI-81s back then though. Still got mine somewhere.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf