Author Topic: Selecting test equipment for lab.  (Read 1698 times)

Offline CM800Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 06:06:49 pm by TCWilliamson »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Selecting test equipment for lab.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 11:54:15 am »
What is the budget?
The power supply will probably gobble up a serious amount of cash.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline CM800Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 12:00:40 pm »
We are not a larger company, Budget is fairly low but if a piece of equipment with x specs can be justified, We would get it.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 06:09:55 pm »
Oscilloscope - since you mentioned no bandwidths needed or frequency requirements. Rigol DS1054Z is one of the best budget scopes.  Since you are working on high power electronics you likely will need a high quality differential probe. Expect to pay just as much if not more for the differential probe than you did for the scope.

Precision Power Supply - How precise? That's like saying you want a fast car (this could mean a tricked-out civic, a pony car, a porche or an F1). Many on here love the old used HP 6114A and 6115A series or the Power Designs Precision models. Very tight tolerances, low ripple and with the HP you can combine more than one of them in a variety of ways. You will pay way more for new (easily 10x-50x more).

Precision Multimeter - Once again, we need specs. Words like precision are relative. 

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf