Author Topic: Slimmer Alternative to Altoids as a Project Box?  (Read 15002 times)

Offline salilTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Slimmer Alternative to Altoids as a Project Box?
« on: April 13, 2015, 02:59:25 am »
Does anyone know of an economical slimmer alternative to Altoids (of course insulated with electrical tape) tins for using an electronics project box?  I had an Everest Gum tin which I can't seem to find, it was the perfect size - about the length/width of a standard Altoids tin but thinner (shorter).  But it looks like they stopped making Everest Gum in the mid 2000's.  Any ideas?  Internal height should be atleast 10mm.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Slimmer Alternative to Altoids as a Project Box?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 03:12:10 am »
I have no idea why people use metal Altoids tins for projects, cheap hobby project boxes, "jiffy boxes" we call them here, are only a few bucks.

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 04:11:40 am »
Because the electronics store is too far away (if there even is one in the area) and online ordering takes too long to ship?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 04:22:12 am »
Mostly the problem I find is getting a small pocket sized project box, the size of a Altoid/gum tin.
Eclipse gum tins work nicely here in Australia, just a few dollars for the project box, stocked at most supermarkets, petrol stations, newsagents...
Jiffy boxes (the "UB" series plastic boxes) don't tend to go down to a 'comfortable in the pocket' size, but I agree with Dave, they are good value if they fit the purpose.

My next small project is being built into an ancient Seagate 40MB laptop hard drive chassis, that does fit nicely into the pocket though a touch heavy.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 05:20:47 am »
Because the electronics store is too far away (if there even is one in the area) and online ordering takes too long to ship?

An array of project boxes is something you should have on your shelf. Next time you order your $4 project box, get 5 of them.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 05:23:31 am »
Jiffy boxes (the "UB" series plastic boxes) don't tend to go down to a 'comfortable in the pocket' size, but I agree with Dave, they are good value if they fit the purpose.

These polystrene hand held cases are an industry standard, everyone makes them:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/Enclosures-%26-Panel-Hardware/Plastic-Boxes/Polystyrene---Flame-Retardant/Plastic-Molded-Enclosures-Dark-Grey-ABS---90-x-50-x-24mm/p/HB6031
Lots of standard sizes and nice for pocket stuff.

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 06:38:38 am »
got some excess space in your order until you reach free shipping? get a project box.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 09:33:18 pm »

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Enclosures-%26-Panel-Hardware/Plastic-Boxes/Polystyrene---Flame-Retardant/Plastic-Molded-Enclosures-Dark-Grey-ABS---90-x-50-x-24mm/p/HB6031
Lots of standard sizes and nice for pocket stuff.

Can you do a tutorial on industry standard project boxes? Like back in the day.  :-+

Offline smjcuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 09:40:31 pm »
I have no idea why people use metal Altoids tins for projects, cheap hobby project boxes, "jiffy boxes" we call them here, are only a few bucks.

Because we bloody love the mints :)

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 11:05:39 pm »

I only know of a couple of places in the US that sell those particular boxes, and they don't carry the full range. Prices run about $4 - $15. There are other cheap boxes available but they tend to be pretty low quality and the sizes are not too varied, mostly too thick. Mouser and Digi-Key only seem to sell the major brands which are more expensive, though PacTec and Serpac are pretty good for decent small boxes.

Anyway, I don't think it's the kind of thing most people will stock up on. I did that for several years, tried adding one to an order here and there, guessing at what size and shape might come in handy. I stopped doing that because I ended up with an entire box full of boxes I'll probably never find use for.

Most areas in the US don't have a local electronics store, but good places to look for things to use as project boxes are crafts stores, home improvement stores, and office supply stores.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 11:10:00 pm »

Because we bloody love the mints :)

;D

My old offair standard is built in a sturdy little plastic ice cream tub. It cost a fraction of a commercial project box plus I got to eat lots of ice cream :)

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 11:27:25 pm »

I too am baffled by that. A proper box with a slot for one's PCB is what, an extra $ or €?

EBay can be a great source here. I bought a pile of new old stock cast aluminum Pomona boxes for maybe $40 delivered. A couple even have RF connectors for building filters.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 12:00:19 am »
Can you do a tutorial on industry standard project boxes? Like back in the day.  :-+

Pretty sure I already mentioned these in one of the PSU videos.
Also extruded aluminium cases (but they aren't standard).
Actually the ones I showed above are as close to being the most widely copied case I am aware of. Jaycar have them, Altronics, have them, Digikey et.al have them, and many sellers on Alibaba have them. And from what I've seen, would be at least half a dozen different makers of them.
Hammond boxes are copied quite a lot.
Anyone got any others that are multi-source?

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 12:57:30 am »
These are the ebay cheapo's. Better than Altoids that's for sure, a few sizes, some are snap together and others have clear front's. All very inexpensive.

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=project+box+enclosure&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

Offline cosmicray

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 02:18:26 am »
This seller on Aliexpress appears to have a substantial selection of various enclosures and project boxes. I have no experience with them. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1336055
it's only funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious - R. Rabbit

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 08:20:20 pm »
Just bought 8 400W ballast boxes, which are cast aluminium alloy, to use as storage boxes. They stack well, and aside from the 2 cable glands on them are unused, and they are waterproof with 2 clamps on the hinged front. Not bad for $15 the lot.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 09:57:50 pm »

I too am baffled by that. A proper box with a slot for one's PCB is what, an extra $ or €?

EBay can be a great source here. I bought a pile of new old stock cast aluminum Pomona boxes for maybe $40 delivered. A couple even have RF connectors for building filters.
There are various reasons. One is that you can open and close the box very easily at any time.

Sometimes that is very powerful. eg I made a FET tester in a little tobacco tin when I was a student. I could store the instructions/curves/data in paper format inside the box and also some sample FETs inside the box.

It is really easy to get access inside the box because the lid is designed to be removed and refitted lots of times (by tobacco smokers).

It is also quick and easy to replace the battery for the same reason.

Also the cost is zero. Also they are easy to work with and some people find it fun to make use of them creatively. That should be reason enough on its own.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 10:16:15 pm »
I bought a couple of "Super Stacker" boxes at Walmart yesterday. Office Depot and a lot of other places sell them also. They're very good quality, reinforced corners and bottom, snap clamps to hold the lid in place, and made of flexible (probably polyethylene) plastic. These come in at least 4 sizes that I've seen and should make decent project boxes. Here's an eBay link just for pictures. For me, they're actually cheaper to buy local.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?&_nkw=super+stacker

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 08:24:27 pm »
There is a Chinese company, "superbatrf" which sells small extruded cases. Around the size of an Altoids tin is definitely in their size range. I have never bought from them directly, just got one as part of a kit i bought recently. They appear to either make or resell a lot of small RF parts, many might be familiar from ebay.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 08:45:57 pm »

There are various reasons. One is that you can open and close the box very easily at any time.

Sometimes that is very powerful. eg I made a FET tester in a little tobacco tin when I was a student. I could store the instructions/curves/data in paper format inside the box and also some sample FETs inside the box.

It is really easy to get access inside the box because the lid is designed to be removed and refitted lots of times (by tobacco smokers).

Also the cost is zero. Also they are easy to work with and some people find it fun to make use of them creatively. That should be reason enough on its own.

I wouldn't touch a chew tin without a long stick. Who cares if it's free? Yuck!!!

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 11:04:49 pm »
Re avoiding chewing tobacco tin,  ever thought about cutlery in your local restaurant?
I think altoid tins etc are a bit of fun,  but also are cheap (mints for free) and provide a design challenge.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 11:45:57 pm »

I wouldn't touch a chew tin without a long stick. Who cares if it's free? Yuck!!!

You big girl's blouse  ;D

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 12:29:48 am »
I'm around chewers all the time. The silverware gets washed. That chew can on the other hand...  Just come over here and get all you want off the side of the road. Nobody here wants to touch the things after some cowboy wannabe slobbered chew spittle all over them.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 07:37:16 am »
I'm around chewers all the time. The silverware gets washed. That chew can on the other hand...  Just come over here and get all you want off the side of the road. Nobody here wants to touch the things after some cowboy wannabe slobbered chew spittle all over them.
I suggest you move to a nicer part of town...

Offline cosmicray

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 06:22:44 pm »
The metal tins that Twinings uses for loose tea are also handy, and provide a bit more project space than the Altoids tin does.
it's only funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious - R. Rabbit

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf