Author Topic: SMD storage solutions  (Read 20873 times)

Offline microbugTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
SMD storage solutions
« on: January 01, 2014, 05:22:10 pm »
I've recently started getting into SMD work, and have decided it's time to invest in a set of 0805 resistors. I'm getting one of the E12 sets on eBay: if the set doesn't state itself as E12 then some less-used values like 39r are left out. I will have 86 different values of resistor (7 sets of 12 + 10M and 0). There seem to be several solutions out there; I'm thinking of this because I would be able to remove the vials when I am using them, and re-arrange the order if necessary. I could also buy some vials on eBay and fill them with components, then put them in my (currently) through-hole component drawers.
There seem to be several pill boxes advertised as smd organisers, I could remove the day of the week label with isopropanol alcohol / acetone although there would still be the irritating Braille. Of course, the other concern is the lid - it looks as though the components could easily fall through the fingerhold! Here is an example. I saw this which has 144 bins for components, but I wouldn't be able to remove the individual boxes / bins. The last thing I saw was this, which is a set of 50 snap-together boxes (I believe they're also available at Adafruit). They would also be good.

What do you suggest / use?

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: SMD storage solutions
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 05:43:24 pm »
You want to keep them on tape - use binder sheets - Farnell do them, but hard to find on the website - I think I have the order code at home somewhere

For random loose bits of tape,  you want boxes with plenty of width but not much height. These are the best I've found so far - not perfect as the lid doesn't clip on

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEEL-OFF-CLEAR-PLASTIC-STORAGE-BOX-PAPER-STICKERS-CRAFT-CONTAINER-BOXES-/201010844167?pt=UK_Crafts_StickersScraps_Decoupage_SM&hash=item2ecd2e1207

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 05:56:25 pm »
Get these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120943472829
They are also available in non-ESD safe versions. They work like a charm. I have about 200 of these boxes.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 05:59:03 pm »
I was originally thinking of not keeping them on the tape and pouring them into the vials using a small funnel - what are the disadvantages?
For long through-hole ceramic cap strips, I use the 0.55L box on this page (the 0.35L would probably be better). They are good because they stack well and the lid has a clip. The boxes will 'sit' on the lid when detached. Unfortunately I can't find that model on eBay, but I picked those boxes up at Homebase (hardware & home improvement store for those not in UK ;)), I think they were 5 for £5.

I've seen the binder sheets before (some eBay resistor kits - not E12 so I won't get them), they look like they could work. How long a strip can they hold?

@nctnico: Those look like the ones I mentioned in my first post, although yours are ESD safe. EDIT: I think for resistors I wouldn't bother with ESD protection, but for ICs it could be useful. Do SMD ICs usually come in static safe bags / tubes? The through hole ones do, and if I could fit SMD ICs into the boxes with their anti-static bags (unlikely in my opinion) that would be cheaper.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 06:03:05 pm by microbug »

Offline MatCat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 06:01:20 pm »
ESD isn't really an issue for passives, so I just keep them in cheap plastic containers from harbor freight, I prefer to keep SMD passives in their tapes, it's much easier to go through the tapes and have them all in order, then just tape the tape down for pick and placing, vs having to hunt around for them in a loose container and fiddle with them to place them.  Also if you keep them loose in a container, it would be very easy for a wrong value one to get in somewhere and it would be damned near impossible to tell (you can tell on resistors sure, but good luck on caps!).

Offline owiecc

• Frequent Contributor
    • Google scholar profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 06:05:01 pm »
I use Aidetek BOX-ALL. 12x12 grid ideal for E12 series. Bottom six rows for resistors 1ohm-820kohm. 0605, 0805 and 1206 sizes in each compartment. Two rows for E6 caps 1n-4.7u. Rest for diodes, transistors, ICs and other. You can close the box and you can store the components safely. We had some SMD compartments, like the one nctnico proposed, that fell on the floor. The lids opened and all components jumped out.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 06:09:12 pm »
Ah, I hadn't thought about pick and placing - in that case I see why Mike suggested to keep the components on their tapes!

I would prefer to have the components loose in an organiser (@owiecc: that one looks good!) for compactness and neatness. The BOX-ALL one would leave space for some caps / other stuff as well; I will need some space for other components.

Any views on the first suggestion I posted? It uses small vials with lids - too fiddly?

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 06:14:38 pm »
Tape Vs. Loose : you can turn taped parts into loose, but not the other way round, so keep them on tape til you actually use them.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 06:27:18 pm »
OK!

After a quick Google search, I found another thread where you posted this. I also found this which is on a German website (I love Chrome autotranslate!) but seems to be good. This would probably be best for me. USPS ships much faster than China post!

I didn't quite realise how small the tapes are - 8mm is pretty small! I don't think there will be any problems with storage space for the book-type organisers...

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 06:38:42 pm »
For resistors in small quantity use this or make one using business card binder inserts or the like. Save the boxes for loose chips.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/0805-a-practical-SMD-resistor-and-capacitor-assorted-kit-components-sample-book-/330907685211?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0ba2915b

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 07:05:11 pm »
I've decided to go with this organiser (binder type) and this resistor set which seems to be a complete E24 series - excellent value for money! They're both from the same seller so I should be able to get reduced combined shipping to the UK. I think 20pcs of each resistor will be enough - I can buy more of the common values (1k 10k etc.).

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 07:08:57 pm »
The reason I got the boxes with lids is that taking components from tape takes a long time so putting a prototype together becomes a cumbersome process.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 07:15:19 pm »
How big are your prototypes? I have seen trays that hold smd components in small (2cm diameter) recesses, could you not take out components first and then assemble?

On the subject of boxes, people are going on about component 'spills', but is that such a problem when each box has a lid?

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 08:23:06 pm »
Get these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120943472829
They are also available in non-ESD safe versions. They work like a charm. I have about 200 of these boxes.
:-+

i got a few thousand of those.
entire series E48 in 0402 0603 0805 and 1206 for resitors
and caps in e24 series.

work like a charm. snap together, spring hinged lid keeps em closed.

i bought them from iteadstudio. but there are many companies carrying those now

i store them in an Ikea drawer cabinet. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40196241/

« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 08:30:33 pm by free_electron »
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 08:32:55 pm »
Those do look nice, but at 21 USD each they aren't cheap (cheaper for non-ESD version, even cheaper from China)! It would grate a bit for the storage to cost 3x the component set price, although I'm aware that resistors are cheap in large quantities. I'm thinking of getting the binder organiser with the E24 0805 series (20 pcs of each resistor, tape fits well into binder). I don't see any need to get smaller components yet...

I will probably get a set of these for miscellaneous components / ICs, but the E24 series (including 0 and 10M) has 170 values and I don't want to spend $80+ and shipping. Can I get away with the non-ESD versions for ICs? I can keep particularly sensitive parts in their static-dissipative bags.

Offline hagster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 08:40:16 pm »
I like the binder books for general storage if components. I would only use the boxes for a particular project.

Same goes for caps.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 08:44:00 pm »
How big are your prototypes? I have seen trays that hold smd components in small (2cm diameter) recesses, could you not take out components first and then assemble?

On the subject of boxes, people are going on about component 'spills', but is that such a problem when each box has a lid?
My prototypes vary. Between 10 and 1000 components. The trays are for semi production setups but I don't have room or use for that. I have the small boxes in 5x5 configuration which I can stack on a shelve or spread on my workbench. The lids are fine for components down to 0603. 0402 may spill.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 08:49:44 pm by nctnico »

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 08:51:53 pm »
I don't know the pros and cons of taping down component tapes vs boxes, but I won't be able to afford enough boxes if I get the E24 kit which has 170 values.

I can see the benefit of the boxes for some applications, especially if you can't get components on tape, but I have a set of small plastic component drawers - about 60 of them free - which are just the right size to hold loose components.

Those snap-together boxes are available from SparkFun - in looking through the comments I found a video of 0402 components spilling! It's not a problem for me yet as I am avoiding 0603 / 0402 to start with.

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 09:14:32 pm »
I use these little hinged, lock together storage cases.  I've found that I can cut down the Digikey label (when they staple it on the bag, not stick it to the bag) and put it on top.  You can find some that are 3 wide.  I put some small number of ICs in these, using cut tubes.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 10:02:52 pm »
I use pil boxes like these

A wipe of acetone removes the printing.

Turn 90 degrees so it's on end (and conveniently the lid hinges will now be at the "top").\

Now you get 4 columns of 6 decades, and a row of 4 at the bottom for out-of-series values which you find useful.

Print labels and stick on the lids.

I use 1206 mostly, but also have some 0603 in one compartment and they haven't escaped.

They are really good actually.  I think I paid NZ$3 (about US$2) each.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 10:04:09 pm »
I use these lab boxes with vessels of 2ml (can hold hundreds of 0603 resistors) one box for each e12series. Got 5 of them 3 for resistors two for capacitors. Costs 23 euro incl. Vessels.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 08:06:01 am »
I use these lab boxes with vessels of 2ml (can hold hundreds of 0603 resistors) one box for each e12series. Got 5 of them 3 for resistors two for capacitors. Costs 23 euro incl. Vessels.
At least they can't spill.  :)

Looks like labeling would be a bit of a challenge though.  :-//

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 08:26:13 am »
I use pil boxes like these

For what it's worth, picture...
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline strangelovemd12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 09:08:23 am »
Film Negative Binder Inserts.  They come in a variety of size (Let me know if you find some of the <20mm ones), they're cheap, but most important, compact and easy to organize/navigate.  Top loading varieties are the best.
Please hit my ignorance with a big stick.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 11:20:27 am »
Looks like labeling would be a bit of a challenge though.  :-//
The supplier www.smdshop.nl also sells the stickers for €1.- or so, they are those round stickers, size of pinkynail and they fit right on the top. If you are worried about them letting off in some years you can put some clear nailpolish on them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf