Author Topic: Smoke absorber - tabletop or clip-on?  (Read 2175 times)

Offline KuroTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Smoke absorber - tabletop or clip-on?
« on: March 10, 2017, 10:57:18 pm »
I don't solder that often, nor do I have the space, to warrant the cost of one of those pro setups, with a huge box under the bench and an elephant trunk up to the work place.

For now, I make do with a cheap fan and a carbon filter. But suction isn't that powerful with this type, and when I put the iron in the holder, the smoke it creates there is not sucked up. So I was looking at a clip-on system, that attaches to the iron and a vacuum pump with filter (JBC, with cheap vacuum pump by Aoyue)

I'd like to hear your experiences and opinions on the effectivity of both systems (tabletop vs clip-on), and how user friendly they are. For instance, does the clip-on block visibility and access too much?
The universe is made of protons, neutrons, electrons and morons - March for Science 2017

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Smoke absorber - tabletop or clip-on?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 11:48:19 pm »
When I used one it was a pain because it makes the iron heavier and the cord less flexible.
Of course its good at pulling away the smoke wherever the iron is though.

How about getting a more powerful fan, and installing one fan beside the holder?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 02:04:46 am »
There are many threads on the topic like:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/iron-attached-fume-extraction/msg343904/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/soldering-air-management-system-for-condo/msg721332/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/soldering-smoke-how-does-everyone-deal-with-it/msg463234/

Plus one very recent (can't find it sorry), showing the use of a cheap but powerful inline bathroom fan to move fumes out.

I have a under-the-desk unit myself (Hakko FA430) and really appreciate the power (distance to fume source) and clean air. It looks like with more powerful desk fans or a tube with an inline fan, you can DIY something good for much cheaper.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 09:39:22 pm »
Thanks for your input. I have a Weller 350. Adding a second fan is of course an option but I think one Weller is enough noise. I've given the 'diy' option some thought, but most projects I found on yt were of the 'big box with elephant trunk' variety or used a fan to blow the fumes outside. Both would not work for me.

The clip-on option seemed the most logical solution - extract fumes where they occur, but I wasn't sure if this didn't have it's own share of problems. Very few people here seem to use it. The change to the handle shape doesn't really bother me, I'm most concerned about the tube end getting in the way of seeing the tip.
The universe is made of protons, neutrons, electrons and morons - March for Science 2017

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 07:25:02 pm »
Adding a second fan is of course an option but I think one Weller is enough noise.

You use a small fan with carbon filter, not a full size hakko extractor just for the holder.
Like this: http://legwinskij.blogspot.ca/2011/08/soldering-iron-holder-with-fume.html but maybe a bit bigger, 60 or 80mm fan.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 08:38:24 pm »
Now there's an idea! Thanks, I'll look into this, on how I can adapt this to my station.

Online macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 04:25:53 pm »
I use what you are calling a clip-on.  I bought a Weller FE-75 iron, and I have modified my Metcal MX-RM3E handle to have fume extraction. I also have a cheap Yihua 908B fume extracting handle I bought to use with a 995D station.

I really dislike the Weller. It seems to have a long distance from handle to tip, and despite my large hands (I'm a 6'5" or 198 cm tall guy) the handle grip itself is too big and only hard smooth plastic, no soft or even textured grippy surface. It is terrible. Shame on you, Weller, this thing is an embarrassment to your brand.  The cheap (1/10 cost!) Yihua is much better, though I have retired it too, in favor of the Metcal.

I love the modified Metcal. I also have an unmodified one that I don't use. I rarely find that the extraction tube gets in the way. In this case, the increase in the handle grip size due to the extra tube is not an issue; to the contrary, it might make it easier to handle. I use this with a Weller WFE2P pump/filter unit that I scored at a recycler for next to nothing. I also recently scored a Pace fume extractor (the kind with the elephant trunk as you put it) that I will set up for when I do desoldering or hot air soldering. I need to get some pipes though... I think expandable, accordian style eaves-trough downspouts will do the trick.

I'll post a quick photo of the modified MX-RM3E later today.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf