Author Topic: Solder paste recommendation  (Read 32128 times)

Offline danskuTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • I make things
    • Personal Blog
Solder paste recommendation
« on: January 17, 2015, 04:41:57 pm »
I couldn't find a similar post so I decided to start this one.

I would like to know which kind of solder paste are you guys using, what do you like about it, prices, links, reviews. Also tools and techniques you use to clean your board after use.

Thanks  ;)

Offline radiomog

• Regular Contributor
Re: Solder paste recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 04:59:55 pm »
I don't have any real world experience, but from my recent research, a lot of people liked the Mechanic brand Sn63 you can find on ebay.
I ordered some, it's due this week.

interested to learn more myself
My job is so secret, even I don't know what I'm doing!

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 05:08:19 pm »
Mechanic is OK, however flux residues are hard to remove if you need it. Generally there is no need for it though as there is only very small amount left.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 05:19:23 pm »
I don't have any real world experience, but from my recent research, a lot of people liked the Mechanic brand Sn63 you can find on ebay.

I see several sellers on ebay. Are they all 'legit' and from the same manufacturer?  Any trusted seller?  Does this one look good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-MECHANIC-XG-50-REPAIR-SOLDER-PASTE-Sn63-Pb37-25-45um-/181042448195?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a26f88743

I like the small jars packaging (42g vs the 250g I am using now), it will stay fresher this way. Also, jars are less wasteful than syringe because I can return the left overs to the jar.

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 05:38:29 pm »
use google search instead of the search at the top of the forum: at google.com search for  solder paste site:eevblog.com

Every one of the following threads have personal recommendations and handling instructions, storage instructions and purpose for the different types of pastes available  (i.e. stencil, non-stencil)

That's a good link, thanks. It's difficult though to ask questions in old threads.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 08:12:37 pm »
As you're in the US, I'd recommend skipping the unknown brands, and go for Kester EP256 (63/37 paste). It normally comes in too large a container for a hobbyist (smallest from Kester is 400g), but CML repackages it into 8cc syringes (35 grams of paste).  :-+

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 08:37:26 pm »
That's a good link, thanks. It's difficult though to ask questions in old threads.

Yes, I wasn't implying the OP should ask questions in old threads. Sorry if it came off that way.  Just that (a) he probably didn't find anything because the forum search is really, really bad, and a google search with the site: modifier would have given better results; and, (b) he would likely find the answers he was looking for in those previous threads. 

(I always promote the google search instead of the forum search whenever I can)

Offline cosmicray

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 08:43:02 pm »
Several of the mentioned threads, as well as the manufacturers datasheet, say the paste should be brought to room temp before attempting to use it.

Is there any reason a larger tub should not be subdivided into smaller containers so that only the amount needed can be taken out of the cold storage (instead of the entire tub) ?
it's only funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious - R. Rabbit

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 09:03:41 pm »

The forum search is poor indeed. Dave could use an external service for search. I think you can get then for free but not sure. I also use the site: trick. Thanks.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 07:31:25 pm »

ordered it yesterday, and the price went down today by 40%. Hopefully not old crusty stock that they are trying to get rid off.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141204949945

The 50g size fits my need better. This way I can get fresh paste every 3-4 months. Currently I have a 8 month old Chip Quick 250g jar that is 60% full but the paste got clumpy so I added flux to revive it.  Will see how well the Mechanics will work.

What is a good way to clean the Mechanics flux? With my current paste I am using IPA.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 07:43:43 pm »

The forum search is poor indeed. Dave could use an external service for search. I think you can get then for free but not sure. I also use the site: trick. Thanks.
There has been many many comments re the search box on this forum. It is poor.
But the Search button next to Help is quite powerfull and I can find any results needed using it.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Solder_Junkie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 10:57:40 pm »
Having found the stuff on eBay to be poor, I bit the bullet and got a syringe of Multi-Core solder paste from RS Components. They stock both tin/lead and lead free. It's much better than the unknown eBay stuff and has on-line data sheets for cleaning, etc.

http://www.rs-components.com/index.html

There are packs of dispensing needles to fit the above syringes available very cheaply on eBay.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 12:31:15 am »
If you are using stencils you want a jar rather than a syringe because you can reuse the leftover paste.

Offline Solder_Junkie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 04:56:02 pm »
RS stock tubs of Multi-core paste too... Bit expensive though.

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 05:03:44 pm »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 05:25:35 pm »
TME do various solder pastes;

http://www.tme.eu/en/katalog/?art=SS4-M951DK10%2F40
I have a poor experience with with the solder paste bought from them. About 6 months ago bought cheap lead free AG TERMOPASTY (made in Poland) for IIRC 8-9 EUR, 20g siringle. Although it was only 3 months old according to the marking, it turned out to be useless junk. When reflowing it became just a pile of dried paste with only a tiny part of it molten on the bottom of that pile. Likely they did not store it properly, but anyway in 3 months solder paste shouldn't become that bad even at room temperature.

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 05:56:21 pm »
TME do various solder pastes;

http://www.tme.eu/en/katalog/?art=SS4-M951DK10%2F40
I have a poor experience with with the solder paste bought from them. About 6 months ago bought cheap lead free AG TERMOPASTY (made in Poland) for IIRC 8-9 EUR, 20g siringle. Although it was only 3 months old according to the marking, it turned out to be useless junk. When reflowing it became just a pile of dried paste with only a tiny part of it molten on the bottom of that pile. Likely they did not store it properly, but anyway in 3 months solder paste shouldn't become that bad even at room temperature.

Good to know, especially if it is incorrect storage as that would affect all, no matter what brand I would have thought.
Thanks for posting the info.

The following users thanked this post: mirko.ugolini

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 06:16:49 pm »
i'm using the cheap-ass Mechanic paste from ebay mentioned earlier in this thread - storing it in my "lab" - temperatures anywhere between 15 & 35 celsius (i simply won't put anything non-food into my fridge) ... opened that little plastic container 2-3 months ago and that stuff still re-flows perfectly (mainly 1206 sized components, sot23, SOICs & quad flats)... i need to mention I’m re-flowing with hot-air (one-off designs only). so for hobbyists like me, that cheap Mechanic paste is good enough ;)

Offline Solder_Junkie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 06:26:25 pm »
I've had "Easy Print" solder paste in a syringe from an eBay trader and found the consistency awful, going from nearly dry lumps to flux with little solder in the same syringe.

I'm only a hobby user, but like to make good soldered joints, so settled for professional grade paste used with a cheap Chinese "858D" hot air soldering station.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 07:58:11 pm »
I've had "Easy Print" solder paste in a syringe from an eBay trader and found the consistency awful, going from nearly dry lumps to flux with little solder in the same syringe.

I'm only a hobby user, but like to make good soldered joints, so settled for professional grade paste used with a cheap Chinese "858D" hot air soldering station.
This is the same polish stuff which I bought.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 10:09:03 pm »

How much would a syringe of Multicore or similar set you back where you're located?

Offline Solder_Junkie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 11:14:37 pm »
From RS Components £17 plus carriage and tax, that's for a syringe of 25 grams. Hope this link works:

http://m.rs-online.com/h5/mobile/uk/catalog?url=%2Fweb%2Fc%2Ftools%2Fsoldering-desoldering-tools%2Fsolder-pastes%2F%3FsearchTerm%3DSolder%2Bpaste

Offline mirko.ugolini

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2016, 03:59:11 pm »

Hello All,

I bought  from TME  this solder past  : http://www.tme.eu/it/details/esac305_40/materiali-di-apporto-paste/ag-termopasty/
I buidt my reflow oven and I spent all the weekend to try to use that low quality past .

Fortunatelly I had the good idea to try on spare PCB.
I went to the producer web site http://termopasty.pl/en/products/products-for-printed-circuit-boards-en/  an the solderpast is not present .   |O

I confirm that when reflowing it became just a pile of dried paste with only a tiny part of it molten on the bottom of that pile.
Is unusable product.  >:D

Aftert a while I decided to buy a better quality solder past from  Farnell:
http://it.farnell.com/chip-quik/smd4300snl10/solder-paste-96-5-3-0-5-217-c/dp/1850226

It should arrive in 2 days.

I will let you know.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 04:04:39 pm by mirko.ugolini »

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2016, 11:45:19 pm »
MG Chemicals leaded 63/37 paste has worked very well for me and I can wholeheartedly recommend it for manual assembly.  The consistency at room temp/68F is perfect for application with a pointed metal instrument.  Spreads nicely at room temp using a stencil as well.  (I have a set of Stanley spackle spreaders for this purpose, and this purpose only to keep their edges immaculate.)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:48:34 pm by bson »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf