Author Topic: Soldering iron for rf resonators + PCBs. Ersa nano, Metcal PS-900, Hakko 951  (Read 1646 times)

Offline bmcwsTopic starter

I'm looking to set up a prototyping lab for UHF/VHF applications (r.f. resonators, prob not more than 1kW, plus may be a few amps etc), plus PCBs mainly through hole, possibly SMD. Basically a soldering station that can do a little bit of heavy work, copper tape etc, as well as finer work, such as PCBs, SMDs. I'd prefer one with a shorter grip to tip distance since I'm not too sure how steady my hands are :) !

I've shortlisted three stations that I can get for very similar prices:

Ersa i-con nano
Metcal PS-900
Hakko FX-951

Any others?

The Metcal sounds intriguing. Have not used this type of iron before and am worried that it might not be suitable for bigger joints (as in r.f. resonators). Also, I'm likely to use the iron for non standard apps - e.g. r.f. resonators might use formers that might deform at temperatures that are not particularly high. Not sure if a user temperature controlled iron might be better?  I'm also stupid, lazy and impatient so I'll prob have to redo joints etc. plus warm up time, thermal recovery and heat capacity are all considerations too! 

I know this thread is quite similar to the below, but that thread morphed into a Hakko FX-888D discussion and my app is a little different.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/ersa-nano-vs-oki-ps-900/msg840832/#msg840832

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Personally, I have an old MX-500PII.  With a 3.2mm tip and flux, I have soldered PL-259 connectors onto Belden 9913 50\$\Omega\$ coax.  With a 1.8mm tip, I have almost instantly soldered a 5W resistor onto a pad over about 3/4 inch square.  I also have a Hakko FX-951 and the Metcal gets the heavier duty soldering.  There really is no thermal recovery time with the Metcal, it will pump out all the heat you need and be ready to move on to the next joint.  I have not tested the Hakko for the heavy soldering jobs.  Hope this helps.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: bmcws

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
I can attest to the shear grunt of the Metcals. I've got an SP-200 and the other day I happily soldered a piece of medium duty stranded cable flush to the  middle of a solid 160mm x 100mm ground plane, with a mere 1.5mm chisel tip, no fuss, no muss, no hanging around waiting for it, only took 2 or 3 seconds, no problem. This is only a 35W iron, but it delivers that 35W directly to the very tip of the handpiece; don't be fooled by the apparently modest power levels.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
I can attest to the shear grunt of the Metcals. I've got an SP-200 and the other day I happily soldered a piece of medium duty stranded cable flush to the  middle of a solid 160mm x 100mm ground plane, with a mere 1.5mm chisel tip, no fuss, no muss, no hanging around waiting for it, only took 2 or 3 seconds, no problem. This is only a 35W iron, but it delivers that 35W directly to the very tip of the handpiece; don't be fooled by the apparently modest power levels.

The MX-500PII has a whopping 40W but will supply as much heat you need all day long.  The crazy deal I got on the Metcal came after I bought the FX-951.  If the Metcal would have come first, I'm not sure I would have spent the money on the Hakko.  I probably would have put the money into more tips, another wand/stand and another set of tips for the Talon tweezers.  That said, the Hakko does not gather dust.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf