Author Topic: Soldering station advice  (Read 3536 times)

Offline crash2140Topic starter

• Contributor
Soldering station advice
« on: April 11, 2015, 09:32:30 pm »
After ruining a SMD chip trying to solder it using a cheap soldering iron, I realised that I needed a soldering station. There's three of them I'm currently considering, all of them sell at around 140€ here in Portugal: the Hakko FX888D (Dave recommended it, seems pretty good), the Weller WES51 (a bit cheaper than the previous one, but works at 110V, so a step down transformer increases the cost) and the Ersa i-CON PICO (my local electronics store sells it at 138€, very cheap compared to online stores, unfortunately, it isn't ESD safe). Altough Dave recommends the Hakko, the Ersa seems to be better, as it costs more than the Hakko (without shipping and customs charges) and it is more powerful.  Which of these should I buy?

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Soldering station advice
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 04:58:15 pm »

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 06:12:06 pm »
Dude, look at this thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/soldering-station-(eu)/

:)

Yeah, only noticed that thread yesterday, so shouldn't have started a new topic. Anyway, I ordered a weller wes51 for 70$ and free shipping from Ebay, which seems kinda suspicious. I'm hoping that I can return it or get my money back in case it's fake. What further increased my suspictions was that the item "was removed from Ebay's website". Here's a print screen I took in case anything goes wrong:

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 08:03:00 pm »
A little known trick is to search for something in the country your interested in. Then before you check out or bid on it, change the post code for delivery to one very close to where the item is reportedly supplied from. If the delivery date is more than a couple of days be suspicious.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 08:14:42 pm »
A little known trick is to search for something in the country your interested in. Then before you check out or bid on it, change the post code for delivery to one very close to where the item is reportedly supplied from. If the delivery date is more than a couple of days be suspicious.

That seems a good technique indeed.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 08:16:03 pm »
if you're implying that the soldering station you linked is shit, it is not. That particular Weller is a very very durable and good iron.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 08:57:14 pm »
if you're implying that the soldering station you linked is shit, it is not. That particular Weller is a very very durable and good iron.

No, never said that or anything close to it. If I thought it was crap, why would I buy it? I know the original one must be good and durable, what I said was that I was hoping that the one I ordered is a genuine Weller.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 09:23:57 pm »
misunderstanding on my part then :) fingers crossed for you that it indeed is genuine!

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 09:39:21 pm »
misunderstanding on my part then :) fingers crossed for you that it indeed is genuine!

Not so sure about that... As it seems, the seller's account was acessed by someone else :(. I've emailed him and Ebay. Hopefuly I will get my money back.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf