Author Topic: Soldering/desoldering upgrade  (Read 14814 times)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: Soldering/desoldering upgrade
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 11:25:18 pm »
That's exactly what I was thinking!  Maybe it's a howard-only combo because the only 2 places I can only find it there and a reference on jbctools.com.  So it seems to me you'd be much better off just getting the RMSE and adding the other options.  The only issue is the RMSE comes with the 2 channel control unit vs the 4 channel on the AM7000SMD.  I sent messages to both howard and janel asking if I can swap the 4chan for the 2chan and pay the difference but got no answer  ???  I've read elsewhere, including on here, that others have had success doing this, but it may be from jbc directly.  You'd think they'd at least respond and say "no-can-do, sorry!" Oh well, that's customer service in the modern age...  :'(
I expect you'd be able to get one or both of the distributors to take care of you (phone call gets faster results IME), but I see it as moot given the price on the Ersa from TopLoser.

Or am I missing something?

I'll try ordering from tonzof again.  It might be my network so I'll try cellular.  I block ads at my router so it could have something to do with it.  It wasn't allowing me to continue after putting in my address info in either Safari, Chrome, or Firefox.  Thinking about it now, it could also be because I'm in Canada (although they do ship to Canada).  I'll try my reshipper's address too and see if that works.  It looks like it'd be a nice toy, although most of my work doesn't require that much power.
You won't use all that power most of the time anyway. So I'd see how the Ersa works for you first (no idea as to your typical workflow).

FWIW, I fire mine up more for heat shrink than anything else. But that power is nice to have when needed when doing more than heat shrink tubing, passives, or small SMD IC's.

A hot air preheating unit is nice to have as well when you find yourself on a 4+ layer board (I use a cheap Tenma I got from MCM), and hold the board over it with a Panavise Electronic Workstation (have a couple of other heads to use with it). If you're after a better quality unit, I'd go with a genuine Hakko (what the Tenma is copying, but clearly cutting corners).

You can also modify an electric skillet if you'd rather go that route, or even build a reflow oven from a convection toaster oven (i.e. add some insulation and a PID controller).

Offline JoeBeanTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 11:37:37 pm »
I'm mainly trying to get a response from the JBC distributors just out of curiosity.  I started checking with them back when I was set on getting JBC.  But when TopLoser came along with the Ersa I quickly changed directions   ;D  I wouldn't have need for a second new station, although...  No, can't think like that or my wife will kill me!

I'm actually upgrading because I recently started doing cellphone/tablet repairs after having dozens of people ask me over the last while, and it's turned out to be a real boom, so I want to spend some cash.  I really don't need it but I thought why not?  I love tools anyway   >:D  I actually did an interesting repair today - an iPhone 5 that was submerged in a lake for over a month after being dropped while ice fishing.  Cleaned out the sludge & rust, replaced the battery to be safe, swapped the backlight, hooked it up and on it came right-as-rain. It's amazing to me when I think about some of the first motherboards I worked on where if you looked at them funny they'd fry.  I often wonder if we even need ESD-safe tools anymore...

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 12:18:43 am »
I'm mainly trying to get a response from the JBC distributors just out of curiosity.
OK, makes sense.

No, can't think like that or my wife will kill me!
Don't have those problems anymore.  >:D

I'm actually upgrading because I recently started doing cellphone/tablet repairs after having dozens of people ask me over the last while, and it's turned out to be a real boom, so I want to spend some cash.
I've been interested in this, but given how cheap people are, I figured it would be a race to the bottom for profits. So haven't pursued this at all.

I love tools anyway   >:D
Me too, from hand tools to soldering equipment and everything in between. And we're not alone in this either.  ;)

I actually did an interesting repair today - an iPhone 5 that was submerged in a lake for over a month after being dropped while ice fishing.  Cleaned out the sludge & rust, replaced the battery to be safe, swapped the backlight, hooked it up and on it came right-as-rain.
Fortunate there wasn't anything in the water that corroded the pins/lands/pads.  :)

I often wonder if we even need ESD-safe tools anymore...
Still needed.

Protections built into IC's are only good for so much. Say on the order of 200V - 2.5kV worth of protection, while we're carrying 7.5kV+ levels of charge. Lots of poor assumptions based on what I've read on the forum. Makes me go  :palm:, especially when basic protection doesn't cost that much (wrist strap & a 2 layer rubber ESD mat). More than worth the cost to be sure I'm not dealing with ESD when I'm chasing a fault.  ;)

I add a continuous monitor, but that's it (got a NOS Desco unit cheap off of eBay).

Offline mshockey22

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2017, 06:04:54 pm »
I'm curious as to how this turned out.  Did you end up going with the Ersa?  If so, how do you like it? 

I'm in a similar situation but trying to stay under $2250.  My options:  JBC DME with T210, T245, T120 Tweezers, and up to $750 for a good hot air station.  Second option, The Ersa Vario 4 on Farnell plus a micro iron (not sure if Ersa has one for the Vario series).  I may have to pickup a separate Nano unit.

I do a range of work (iPad backlights, iPhone Touch IC, Macbook board repairs, DC jacks, PS4 HDMI ports, etc, etc).  So, pretty big to very small components.  Definitely need a high powered hot air station for items like the HDMI ports and also a micro iron for the tiny pins.

People who use JBC seem to all love them.  However, people who have also used Ersa say that they do generally prefer them to JBC.  Mostly, I'd like to know if it's even still possible to actually get the Ersa in this price range.  Any info would be well appreciated!  Cheers

Offline JoeBeanTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 03:06:20 pm »
I'm curious as to how this turned out.  Did you end up going with the Ersa?  If so, how do you like it? 
I did go with the Ersa from toploser.  I've been using it ever since.  It works great.  I had some issues getting parts at first (Ersa NA were useless to deal with, they tried setting up their own webstore and failed miserably, and a number of US parts suppliers wouldn't ship to me for reasonable rates (I'm in Canada)).  Eventually though Ersa NA got better to deal with and I found murraypercival.com good to get parts for, even if sometimes  you have to call.

The station is incredible.  I've had a chance to use the JBC since then and I liked it but I prefer the Ersa. The tips last forever, temps are very stable, it's easy to update the firmware, and I prefer the feel of the hand pieces.   That said, the JBC is very nice too.  And parts are easier to come by.

I'm in a similar situation but trying to stay under $2250.  My options:  JBC DME with T210, T245, T120 Tweezers, and up to $750 for a good hot air station.  Second option, The Ersa Vario 4 on Farnell plus a micro iron (not sure if Ersa has one for the Vario series).  I may have to pickup a separate Nano unit.

FYI: I do what would generally be considered micro soldering (down to the level of 5S long screw damage repair, which is 75 micrometer wide traces, or around the thickness of 40AWG wire) and have no issue with the standard Ersa hand piece, so you may not either.  It really comes down to if it's comfortable for you.  The tips should allow anything within reason

I do a range of work (iPad backlights, iPhone Touch IC, Macbook board repairs, DC jacks, PS4 HDMI ports, etc, etc).  So, pretty big to very small components.  Definitely need a high powered hot air station for items like the HDMI ports and also a micro iron for the tiny pins.

People who use JBC seem to all love them.  However, people who have also used Ersa say that they do generally prefer them to JBC.  Mostly, I'd like to know if it's even still possible to actually get the Ersa in this price range.  Any info would be well appreciated!  Cheers
I do much of the same type of work. I wouldn't really describe any of that as micro soldering, so a true micro iron would likely be unnecessary, and for anything with a large pad attached it won't work well anyway (heatsink).

For the ICs and jacks/ports make sure to invest in a good preheater with external temp sensor.  Makes a world of difference.

For a high volume hot air station I'd look at the Quick 861DW.  A forum member turned me on to it.  Cheap but seriously over performs.  I also own a Weller 3000 rework station and the 861DW performs nearly as well as Weller (minus programming) which costs 10x as much.

I'm actually closing shop fairly soon and 'retiring' to a more rural location so I might end up selling off some of the equipment I've got.  I've got a bunch of OCA LCD refurbishing equipment too.  If you're looking at used equipment as well as new pop me off a PM and we might be able to work out a deal, depending on your location.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf