Author Topic: Source for used semi-rigid coax with SMA (odd ends)?  (Read 2091 times)

Offline cdevTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
Source for used semi-rigid coax with SMA (odd ends)?
« on: January 27, 2016, 04:06:54 pm »
I want to make some small projects like probes and loops, etc, that really need to be made with semi-rigid coax to not be totally half assed, but its always been my perception that getting into semi-rigid is expensive.

But I am not some kind of scientist looking for absolute perfection. I am not looking to do work with microwaves presently or need the absolute best performance, I just want to be able to make some small antennas and pickup loops that aren't floppy for picking up EMI, experimenting with RF and so on.

Is there any place I can buy maybe used or surplus odds and ends of semi-rigid using cables? Other people's garbage.

Typically they will be short and only one end is going to need the connector.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Source for used semi-rigid coax with SMA (odd ends)?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 11:38:37 pm »

Have you checked E-bay?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=semi-rigid+coax&_sop=10

Awesome - thank you!!! problem solved.

No, I had not seen that the last time I went looking for coax on ebay. Which was a long time ago.

:)

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 03:30:43 am »
I want to make some small projects like probes and loops, etc, that really need to be made with semi-rigid coax to not be totally half assed, but its always been my perception that getting into semi-rigid is expensive.

But I am not some kind of scientist looking for absolute perfection. I am not looking to do work with microwaves presently or need the absolute best performance, I just want to be able to make some small antennas and pickup loops that aren't floppy for picking up EMI, experimenting with RF and so on.

Is there any place I can buy maybe used or surplus odds and ends of semi-rigid using cables? Other people's garbage.

Typically they will be short and only one end is going to need the connector.

A LOT of stuff like that shows up at hamfests around here.  I have a whole tote bin full.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 05:44:34 pm »
Thank you!  That's good to know.

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 06:19:00 pm »

A LOT of stuff like that shows up at hamfests around here.  I have a whole tote bin full.

Hi

A lot of it shows up *inside* gear abandoned at the end of ham fests. Grabbing old gear and salvaging the parts is a very cost effective way to do some of this.

Bob

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 06:36:01 pm »
be careful with some of the Chinese SMAs, the centre conductions should be hard, springy BeCu, but instead it's soft brittle brass

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf