Author Topic: Sourcing flexible tubing for SMD vacuum  (Read 3848 times)

Offline lensdigitalTopic starter

• Contributor
    • LensDigital
Sourcing flexible tubing for SMD vacuum
« on: November 10, 2015, 04:22:30 pm »
Hi!
I'm trying to modify my Aoyue SMD workstation, and add hose spliter and extension so I can use both SMD pickup tool and fume extractor.  Does anyone knows where I can find similar hose like they use? It's super flexible, I'm guessing 6mm ID 8mm OD and wall thickness about 2 mm... So far all I can find are very stiff hoses... Preferably in USA or China :)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: Sourcing flexible tubing for SMD vacuum
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 07:23:46 pm »
I've never measured it but how about aquarium air line tubing?
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Contributor
    • LensDigital
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 07:31:58 pm »
I've never measured it but how about aquarium air line tubing?
Yup, I checked it, it's usually 1/16" (about 1.5mm) :(  Unless I use adapter it won't fit...

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 08:05:56 pm »
Silicone Rubber tubing from McMaster-Carr perhaps?  (This /might/ get you to the page; if not go to McMaster.com and search on 'tubing' to find possible solutions.):

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-plastic-and-rubber-tubing/=zr449j

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline stmdude

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 08:39:21 pm »
6mm ID sounds quite large..

I'd try something like this:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-trucks/du-bro-extra-large-silicone-fuel-tubing-blue-762cm-dub897/p27681

4mm ID, super flexible, and very, very cheap compared to the alternatives.

If you have a well-stocked hobby-shop in your area, they can probably give you an inch or two for free for you to test with.
You're looking for "Extra large" or "High flow" fuel line/tubing.

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 09:07:49 pm »
Since the OP is in the US, www.usplastic.com is a great company that stocks a LOT of different plastics/tubing etc etc.

The shipping is the costly part...

cheers,
george.

• Contributor
    • LensDigital
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 11:50:52 pm »
Wow, thank you guys! Fantastic info! I even found tubing clamps on USPlastics! I'll probalby order tubing from McMaster, since it's very descriptive :)
P.S. It seems what I was looking for is "latex rubber" type tubing and not silicone :)  That's the most flexible kind I'm guessing.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 11:53:04 pm by lensdigital »

Offline Evil Lurker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 12:51:02 am »
Sorry but it likely will not work for fume extraction. Why? I'm assuming that the vacuum pump used for pickup and the tubing will not be sufficiently sized/rated to handle enough CFM's to get the fume extraction part done.

• Contributor
    • LensDigital
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 02:46:50 am »
It works just fine for fume extraction :-) Built in pump too strong for smd vacuum tho

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 04:08:53 am »
Yeah, McMaster Carr has just about anything you could want hardware and raw material-wise.  I've been slowly building up my screw stash as I place orders there - I'd much prefer to pay $5 or $6 for a box of a hundred screws than drive to Home Depot and pay $1.25 for 7 of them.  And it always seems to be some weird number, so you almost invariably need two packages of them and are left with some odd number of extras.   |O

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline 3roomlab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 04:23:14 am »
Hi!
I'm trying to modify my Aoyue SMD workstation, and add hose spliter and extension so I can use both SMD pickup tool and fume extractor.  Does anyone knows where I can find similar hose like they use? It's super flexible, I'm guessing 6mm ID 8mm OD and wall thickness about 2 mm... So far all I can find are very stiff hoses... Preferably in USA or China :)

i use a ghetto method. washing machine water exhaust flexi pipe (or the aluminium version if you fancy) + a centrfugal DC fan in a double box assembly, one of the sides stick to my window and does exhaust. so the pipe is like a DC vac you can stick onto gassing areas.

if you have seen chemical labs, they have those glass boxes for mixing dangerous fuming chemicals, i got the inspiration from that.

i have also bought a mini pump which i could mod for smd sucking. imo, if the pressure is too great, use a smaller needle tip, http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB16Df4IFXXXXbJaXXXq6xXFXXXW/12pcs-Blunt-Stainless-Steel-Dispensing-Adhesive-Glue-Syringe-font-b-Needle-b-font-Tip-12-font.jpg. i have yet to do suction placement, so my info here could be way way off

but on the other hand, i have a mechanical arm that position this sucking head. so it is hands free. you will need to think of a way to fixate the suction pipe on your end. or just freestand the centrifugal fan and blow it into a cloth bag of cotton wool  :-//
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 04:41:11 am by 3roomlab »

• Contributor
    • LensDigital
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 07:46:48 pm »

i use a ghetto method. washing machine water exhaust flexi pipe (or the aluminium version if you fancy) + a centrfugal DC fan in a double box assembly, one of the sides stick to my window and does exhaust. so the pipe is like a DC vac you can stick onto gassing areas.

if you have seen chemical labs, they have those glass boxes for mixing dangerous fuming chemicals, i got the inspiration from that.

i have also bought a mini pump which i could mod for smd sucking. imo, if the pressure is too great, use a smaller needle tip, http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB16Df4IFXXXXbJaXXXq6xXFXXXW/12pcs-Blunt-Stainless-Steel-Dispensing-Adhesive-Glue-Syringe-font-b-Needle-b-font-Tip-12-font.jpg. i have yet to do suction placement, so my info here could be way way off

but on the other hand, i have a mechanical arm that position this sucking head. so it is hands free. you will need to think of a way to fixate the suction pipe on your end. or just freestand the centrifugal fan and blow it into a cloth bag of cotton wool  :-//
Yup, smaller needle tip (22 gauge) helped, as well as T-spliter and larger release hole in the SMD wand :)
I can now drop 0603 components without any issues.
Now I need to figure out how to attach it to some kind of foot pedal :)
Your extraction system sounds great BTW!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf