Author Topic: Spark Gap Igniter  (Read 7105 times)

Offline flemish4Topic starter

Spark Gap Igniter
« on: November 17, 2014, 02:04:21 am »
I was wondering how this works.
It apparently takes DC and steps it up to the 0000s of volts needed to produce a spark? Any ideas?

Thanks

Offline N2IXK

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Spark Gap Igniter
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 02:52:37 am »
Oscillator powered by DC, driving a step-up transformer, which feeds the output gap either directly or through a rectifier/voltage multiplier.
"My favorite programming language is...SOLDER!"--Robert A. Pease

Offline flemish4Topic starter

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 11:02:19 am »
Thank you both :)

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 05:24:02 pm »
I've got some of those, they're good fun. I used them along with a Tesla coil to play some music in a percussion show.

Be careful though: Everybody who picks one up (including you!) will instantly try to find out how far apart you can put the wires and still get a spark. It's the very first thing they do.

But ... doing that kills the sparker because the internal voltage builds up and up when there's no release and if it goes too high it fries the electronics. Keep the gap to whatever the specs say (usually half an inch or so) and slap anybody who tries otherwise. If you want bigger sparks then get something else (eg. Neon sign transformer).

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 04:16:43 pm »
And this can be modified for same function but for only about 2 dollars (SparkFun will take about 15 dollars!):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-DC-12V-High-Output-DIY-Air-Ionizer-Airborne-Negative-Ion-Anion-Generator/311088457414?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D55f82e78195c49ec923ac982b2e60ccd%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D20140122125356%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D350915943106&rt=nc

But 12V...not 5V!
How is that item wired internally? How are you supposed to use it?

From picture it looks that item has red/black leads for 12V DC in and two white leads with carbon brushes(?) at the end.
Is high voltage DC generated across two white leads or across black lead and white leads? If latter is true, why there is two white leads?

Offline vikasbly44

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 11:25:20 am »

Description: These transformers are capable of creating spark gaps up to about half-an-inch. They work really well as an ignition source for things like potato cannons, they also make the official sound of the mad scientist. The sparks that are generated sound a lot like a taser and you should take that sound as a warning to take extreme care when the unit is powered.

To throw sparks, simply secure the two grey wires to electrodes spaced no more than half-an-inch apart and connect the red and white leads to a 5V source. Be warned, these transformers draw about 3A so your power supply will need to be somewhat robust.

Note: Please do not use these to shock people or animals. Seriously, that isn't cool. Actually, be extremely careful with these as they can seriously hurt you.

SOME FEATURES ARE.....

Input Voltage: 4.8V (works fine at 5V)
    Current Draw: 3A
    Spark Gap: <0.5"
    Loud and scary
    Full of wonderful

Offline cosmicray

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 11:34:18 pm »
If you want to go full blown crazy, you can make an awesome jacob's ladder with a cast off neon sign transformer, and a couple of wire coat hangers bent straight. Be very very careful if you go down this road.
it's only funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious - R. Rabbit

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 10:30:28 am »
Be careful though: Everybody who picks one up (including you!) will instantly try to find out how far apart you can put the wires and still get a spark. It's the very first thing they do.

But ... doing that kills the sparker because the internal voltage builds up and up when there's no release and if it goes too high it fries the electronics. Keep the gap to whatever the specs say (usually half an inch or so) and slap anybody who tries otherwise. If you want bigger sparks then get something else (eg. Neon sign transformer).
It's always a good idea to integrate a spark gap into the case so it arcs over if anyone tries to do something silly like that.

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 07:31:45 pm »
Playing with high voltage is alot of fun though. I hacked an oscillator circuit on a breadboard and connected a Motorola ignition transformer and made it do 40kV, man, at that voltage it even cuts plastic.
But it's now without it's risks, if something like my circuit were to zap you you would wake up on the floor a couple hours later.( or not wake up at all ).
It's still alot of fun nonetheless.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf