Author Topic: Speed SP982 Solder Paste Dispenser  (Read 4620 times)

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
Speed SP982 Solder Paste Dispenser
« on: November 04, 2011, 11:54:42 PM »
Ordered one of these solder paste dispensers from GoodLuckBuy: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/solder-paste-glue-dropper-liquid-auto-dispenser-controller-klt-982a.html

Mainly chose this one because it runs on 24V internally rather than 110/220V and many of the other models apparently use mains voltage through the foot switch!

I paid extra for DHL shipping (about $20) and it arrived within a week. The model I received is a bit different from the one pictured. Its a Speed SP982 rather than a KLT-982A though there isn't much difference (they're all clones of each other anyway  ::)) It has a screw in connector for the foot switch as well as a mono audio jack for an external trigger. Unfortunately, the finger button trigger in the pictures was not included (no big deal). I did a quick check internally to see what its like. Typical chinese construction but at least it has the ground lead of the IEC socket connected to the chassis. The foot switch and external trigger jack are wired in parallel. A potentiometer on the front sets the dispense duty cycle (0 to 100%) while a set of dip switches on the back set the overall time (1s, 10s, 20s, 30s). Each press of the foot switch triggers one dispense cycle. Holding the foot switch down does NOT continuously dispense shots. Another switch on the front puts in in manual mode where you modulate the dispensing with the foot switch directly.

I'm running it off a small 21L 2.5HP compressor regulated to ~80psi. Regulator on the dispense unit is set to 50psi. I fill it up outside since its quite noisy. A full tank lasts for ages inside :) Solder paste is just "Mechanics" brand paste from DealExtreme which comes in a little pot. First test run turned out great. Video was filmed on my iPhone 3GS in pretty poor lighting so excuse the crappy quality ;) I'll get some internal shots later.

The internal control board looks like its just a 555 timer with some analog components. Looks pretty basic and it doesn't have to do much. I'm considering replacing it with my own board using a microcontroller, so I can also do continuous shot intervals.

Quick YouTube vid:
SP982 solder paste dispenser

Completed board with a hotair tool
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 11:58:30 PM by metalphreak »

Offline sonicj

• Frequent Contributor
  • updata successed!
Re: Speed SP982 Solder Paste Dispenser
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 08:45:18 AM »
interesting!

did you happen to get any pics of the inside?
-sj

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 12:23:57 AM »
Looks like there's a TI 555 chip at the heart of it. A TIP122 to run the solenoid and an L7812CV +12V regulator to run everything. Green wires from the transformer feed into a 4-diode bridge rectifier which feeds the L7812CV reg. 3 wires to the manual/auto switch, 2 wires to the adjustable potentiometer, 2 wires to the foot switch, a 6way connector to the dip switches, and finally a 2 wire connection to the solenoid. Looks like the dip switches just add more capacitance in parallel to increase the time constant for the 555.

The air system isn't very complicated either. Air input feeds the regulator, which outputs to the solenoid and the pressure gauge. The air inlet also feeds to the "venturi" vacuum dial which provides the vacuum line to the solenoid. The solenoid is simply a 2 way valve that switches between the vacuum and pressure lines, and this feeds the air connection on the front of the unit. I don't use the vacuum function since solder paste is quite thick. It's only really useful for low viscosity liquids like glue. Also, the venturi valve continuously consumes the air supply to create the vacuum which will empty your compressor tank pretty quick.

Most of these parts you could source yourself, and build your own, but by the time you are done making it into a nice project box it will cost the same (or more). For now it does what I need, but I'm already  planning on ditching that 555 board and replacing it with a microcontroller based unit :)

For what its worth, the manual that come with it was in both chinese and english. Spelling is almost perfect and covers pretty much anything you need to know. Has a wiring/pneumatic diagram in the back.

Internals:

USA Tech & Materials :D Made me laugh

Bunch more images (fullsize too) here: http://imgur.com/a/IRa0j
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 12:36:50 AM by metalphreak »

Offline shadewind

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 01:24:47 AM »
Is it possible to use this machine for fine pitch components (like QFN or QFP) in some way?

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 02:13:40 AM »
For QFP you can just lay down a bead of paste across all the pads (this is what I used to do manually with a syringe and plunger). Not sure how well it would work for QFN. You can get quite small dots of paste but you are limited by which tips you can use. The finer gauge tips are too small for the paste to be pushed through.

Offline chrisghz

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 08:47:30 AM »
Hi,

I've recently bought a couple of these (well the KLT-983 - the digital type) for use by my students at the university, and so far I have to say it works a treat! The only problem is, it didn't come with an English manual. I don't suppose you know where I could download one from??

Nice video and review by the way, it was yours that made me buy them!!!!  :D :D :D

Chris

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 10:17:51 AM »
We've been playing around with a very similar unit.  One of the guys replaced the 10K (?) pot with a 2K (I think) unit to get better control over the desired (shorter) time range.

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 05:48:00 AM »
I'm glad you found the review helpful :) I couldn't find much on the net about them so I took a shot anyway. As for the manual in English, I don't think I kept mine. Not really much of use in there anyway except the dip switches at the back (which just change the time delay range).

I've been toying with replacing the whole control board with something microcontroller based, perhaps building an LCD into it. Another thing on my list of "one day, maybe" projects.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 05:49:32 AM by metalphreak »

Offline Gallymimus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 02:13:28 PM »
Just picked up one of these.  Didn't realize it came with a non-standard (probably metric or something) air quick connect so it doesn't fit a standard compressor setup without replacement.

Anyone else have this issue?

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 02:31:50 PM »
The word "standard" is a relative term.  I think we had to fiddle a little, but no big deal.

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 02:19:39 AM »
Mine came with the standard (in Australia anyway) Nitto style fitting. I think the USA uses ARO style instead?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf